• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

Typhoon Lagoon now testing the in-park complimentary guest Wi-Fi Internet service

Nick_A

On the edge of glory.
I've used the Magic Kingdom Wifi a few times since it went live, but I couldn't get it to work at all tonight. I tried several different tasks in several different locations and I got no results. I thought maybe there was high traffic, so I also tried after the park closed in areas that were basically deserted and I still had bad results. So let's get the wifi working before we start expanding it, shall we?

I was having the same issue on Friday nighT at MK. My iPhone kept trying to default back to 3G because the wifi connection was so bad.

Kramerica

I don't see what you would need wifi for in a water park that you couldn't just do over your 3G or 4G network. But hey. I'm not gonna complain about free wifi. Thanks Disney! I remember having to pay ten bucks a day for Internet in Disneyworld.

awhit066

I don't see what you would need wifi for in a water park that you couldn't just do over your 3G or 4G network. But hey. I'm not gonna complain about free wifi. Thanks Disney! I remember having to pay ten bucks a day for Internet in Disneyworld.

Even though I don't think I'll ever use WiFi at a water park, it's important to keep in mind that 3G/4G data use for international guests is quite costly. If I did want to post a photo or status update while at the water parks I can guarantee I would only consider it if I was using free WiFi.

Kramerica

Even though I don't think I'll ever use WiFi at a water park, it's important to keep in mind that 3G/4G data use for international guests is quite costly. If I did want to post a photo or status update while at the water parks I can guarantee I would only consider it if I was using free WiFi.
Good point, I never considered that.

Rasvar

I did notice the My Disney Experience App does have full setups for the waterparks. I wonder if Humunga Kowabunga is getting Fastpass+. :p

maxairmike

Good point, I never considered that.

That, and some of us don't have (or want to cough up) the money for the ridiculous required data plans to go along with a $200 phone, so we rely on devices with just WiFi. Every time I think about upgrading to a smart phone, I have a heart attack and feel sick when I start looking at the data plans.

And I really, really hope they don't consider putting FP in the water parks on already horribly low capacity attractions. I don't have much hope, though, since its already happening in a few Six Flags and other parks.

cheezbat

I use it almost every visit to quickly check the weather. As unpredictable as things get down here, you never know when a storm might just pop up...which has happened to me so many times while visiting at different times in the day.

ZaneB

stop complaining. they are simply testing it at what I assume is their quietest park. they don't want to do it at epcot or mk because if it stuffs up there are a lot more angry people. it's mainly their for the disney experience app and people who relax on beach chairs.

BenS

In-park Wi-Fi seems like a strange idea to me. Five years ago this might have been a good idea, but these days most people who really, really want Internet access in the parks are probably the kind of people who have smartphones with a 3G/4G data plan. I'm a heavy smartphone user most of the time, but even I keep my phone in my pocket at WDW. I'm at Disney World one week out of the year (if that), the Internet's there all the time.

Of course, there are some people who might need Internet access in case they get a critical work email, but like I said, those people already have smartphones. 3G/4G is spotty in the parks, but still usable. It just seems like an odd thing to invest a bunch of money into these days.

(Though it's a welcome addition at the hotels.)

RSoxNo1

In-park Wi-Fi seems like a strange idea to me. Five years ago this might have been a good idea, but these days most people who really, really want Internet access in the parks are probably the kind of people who have smartphones with a 3G/4G data plan. I'm a heavy smartphone user most of the time, but even I keep my phone in my pocket at WDW. I'm at Disney World one week out of the year (if that), the Internet's there all the time.

Of course, there are some people who might need Internet access in case they get a critical work email, but like I said, those people already have smartphones. 3G/4G is spotty in the parks, but still usable. It just seems like an odd thing to invest a bunch of money into these days.

If they're relying on smart phones as a primary driver of your daily schedule it makes sense. That and we've reached the point in our society that this type of thing is anticipated.

Also, I would have loved to have Wi-Fi access last September when I was going through Tomorrowland trying to load this site and the Disney Parks Blog to get Avatar information.

c-one

As someone said earlier... keep in mind WDW's many, many international guests. Sure, you can use 3G/4G in a foreign country, but you'll quickly rack up enough money in roaming fees to pay for your next WDW vaca.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In-park Wi-Fi seems like a strange idea to me. Five years ago this might have been a good idea, but these days most people who really, really want Internet access in the parks are probably the kind of people who have smartphones with a 3G/4G data plan

The availability of cellular data doesn't negate the value of wifi, because of the constraints operators place on cellular data. International users... data limits for domestic users.. and data rates are all reasons why wifi is valuable.

Add to that, devices in the future that can use wifi, but aren't customer owned.. you wouldn't want to create a widget to give to customers that you'd have to pay an outside cellular vendor for connectivity and data plans...

Rasvar

Another benefit to wifi is improved location services, especially when inside buildings. This has always been one issue i have had with Mobile Magic is the drain of the GPS continually trying to get a lock. When Wifi is available with the proper geoip, it really reduces some of that drain.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Original Poster

At busy times, cell delivered data in the parks is completely unusable. This would be a real problem with Disney's plans for guests to use connected devices. Disney controlling the network access is the only way they can deliver the quality of service that is needed.

WDW1974

WiFi in water parks.

Yep. Sure makes sense to me. Guests were demanding it, I'm sure ... like chicken fingers at Bistro de Paris and children's Pee While You Play fountains at MK.

I love watching fools (and fools who run companies) spend their money.

RSoxNo1

WiFi in water parks.

Yep. Sure makes sense to me. Guests were demanding it, I'm sure ... like chicken fingers at Bistro de Paris and children's Pee While You Play fountains at MK.

I love watching fools (and fools who run companies) spend their money.
In their defense, they already had a Pee While You Play fountain at MK in Donald's Boat. The same "inviting" signs were out front of that, just like the Liquid Layer fountains in Epcot.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom