Typhoon Lagoon Crush n Gusher ?

the-reason14

Original Poster
I went to TL today for the first time in a while, and one of the crush n gusher slides only supports two riders in a double tube as opposed to just one now. They told me I couldn't slide because it was just me. Does anyone know when and why this happened? If so, then thanks.

jonabyte

Don't know why or when, but the first year this ride opened I was waiting in line to ride with my nephew and one person in front of us went solo and sat at the back of the tube (which I guess it what you are supposed to do then), he literally flipped over on the first hill up from the force of the jets. They stopped the ride for a bit and he seemed ok, but it looked scary. My nephew did not see it and I am glad he did not.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
You would think they would have a single rider line where you could double up with other single riders. It doesn't seem very Disney-like to exclude single riders. There's bound to be a lot of people who don't have a riding partner for one reason or the other.

Figment82

That reminds me of how they changed Teamboat Springs' rules so that you now need a minimum of 4 people in a tube. For years, my parents and I would ride it, just the 3 of us. Then a couple years ago, my friend and I went to ride it, and had to wait 20 minutes for another group to come through the line. At first I thought it was a way to lower wait times, but the park was completely empty (it had been raining and was close to closing time).

I hadn't been to Blizzard in a few years, so I doubt this was a new policy, but I guess there's a safety reason in mind for both of these situations.

CaptainAshley

I remember it was ONLY for 2 people when it first opened and I went on. They slide operator actually made my dad go on with my sister and then come up to the front so he could go back down with me. That was back in 2006 i think though.

unkadug

I thought one of them never allowed single riders on or quickly after it opened it was changed to no single riders... but I could be wrong. On the Crush 'n' Gusher info page it say upto 3 can ride at once or you can take the plunge yourself. So who knows.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/parks/typhoon-lagoon/attractions/crush-n-gusher/
^
Disney said:
The Coconut Crusher and Pineapple Plunger slides accommodate up to 3 riders in one raft. The Banana Blaster accommodates up to 2 riders per raft.

"Up to" implies that you can go alone.

DABIGCHEEZ

Thanks for the definition UNKADUG... but really I do know what it means. I just remember someone directly ahead of us, years ago, being told they could not ride alone(not a child either). The OP was apparently told the same thing... so I don't know why the website would say one thing and then enforce a different rule that's all.

A OT question... how do you pull another quote from another thread into this thread?

unkadug

Thanks for the definition UNKADUG... but really I do know what it means. I just remember someone directly ahead of us, years ago, being told they could not ride alone(not a child either). The OP was apparently told the same thing... so I don't know why the website would say one thing and then enforce a different rule that's all.

A OT question... how do you pull another quote from another thread into this thread?

Oh, I wasn't disagreeing with you, just pointing out the incongruity of their website and what they actually do and say. :wave:

And to answer your question...

Just paste anything you like between two quote tags by hitting this button:
quote.gif

thelookingglass

I was there the other day

On all three slides, you can go alone, but only with the 2 person tube. If you use the 3 person tube, you must have 3 people, and you can not do the Banana Blaster.

I assumed that this was because the Banana Blaster seemed to have tighter turns than the other two.

AstareGod

This has been since Summer of 2008 I believe: Crush 'n' Gusher consists of three separate slides: Coconut Crusher, Pineapple Plunger, and Banana Blaster. Banana Blaster does have tighter turns, which is originally why we did not allow three riders on Banana Blaster.

Before Summer of 2008 we did in fact allow single riders on Banana Blaster but have disallowed that afterwards. All riders on Banana Blaster must have two and only two riders. I'm not entirely sure why this change was made, but I gather from the ride mechanics and physics, having a more balanced weight with the tighter turns would lead to a more stable ride. Sometimes people do (and have) flipped out of their tube, and we do have a cast member watching the slides in order to stop the water jets just in case that does happen.

Our standard procedure for a single rider coming up Banana Blaster's line is to redirect them to Coconut Crusher or Pineapple Plunger. All three slides are accessible from the same platform, and we do not require guests to re-enter the line for the other slide from the beginning. They can simply walk up to the slide operator who is at either Coconut Crusher or Pineapple Plunger and be let on the slide with no or little wait.

memster

My Grandson and I went on CG last May together... then he wanted to do the single ride at first they told him he would have to wait for another single rider, after waiting up there 25 minutes they finally let him come down alone on a double tube.:rolleyes:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
There are signs clearly posted that tell you no single riders. Every time I am on that ride people blatantly ignore the signs then get bent out of shape when they get to the slide entrance and can not ride. Just follow the directions on the signs, its not hard.

thelookingglass

There are signs clearly posted that tell you no single riders. Every time I am on that ride people blatantly ignore the signs then get bent out of shape when they get to the slide entrance and can not ride. Just follow the directions on the signs, its not hard.

No, there are not, because, as already been stated, you can go alone on 2 of the 3 slides.

the-reason14

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I think it must be a safety thing as some of you have said. But I remember being able to go down all 3 slides as a single rider during my last few visits which were def a few years ago. And jonabyte thats scary, I'm glad I didn't see that either. That could be related to why they changed it.

And as far as adding a single line to it, I don't know if thats appropriate for a water slide. Most people, including me, may be a little uncomfortable sitting and sliding like that with someone you don't know.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom