Typhoon Lagoon and the Wave Pool Floor

HannaBanana

Original Poster
So I haven't been to Disney World since 2009 but I was browsing through some old photos and came across Typhoon Lagoon's wave pool.
Memories of the floor in the wave pool ripping my water shoes on the sides and getting some cuts and scratches on my feet. I remember standing right where the wave broke and that was it. :(
Since it's been so long I was curious if they removed this sandpaper flooring or if it's still there or has anyone else ever had this problem before? Even though we never complained I'm sure someone out there did. ;)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They still have it and I would not count on it going anywhere any time soon. As I understand it, the abrasive surface is the lesser of 2 evils. You either get to choose from abrasions form the rough surface, many of which can be mitigated by wearing pool shoes, or you have broken bones, concussions, etc, from people slipping in shallow water.

HannaBanana

Original Poster
They still have it and I would not count on it going anywhere any time soon. As I understand it, the abrasive surface is the lesser of 2 evils. You either get to choose from abrasions form the rough surface, many of which can be mitigated by wearing pool shoes, or you have broken bones, concussions, etc, from people slipping in shallow water.

That's very true I guess it is one over the other I guess it's if you are not aware of it and have sensitive feet like myself it can hurt. I'm probably too used to other water parks with softer flooring for their wave pools.

HannaBanana

Original Poster
I don't recall it being made of sand but who knows it's been ages since I went I just remember it being very rough but sturdy.

MOXOMUMD

It's still made with a rough grating bottom. We were there in August and got knocked over just after getting by someone in an inner tube. It took me a few times to get up (Okay, I'm not the most nimble of people) but my butt and hands got scratched pretty raw. I think that'll be our last time in the wave pool for awhile.

Goofyernmost

But I'm not tough I have feet like a baby! :p
Have you seen the stuff that babies walk on without even seeming to notice. Don't know how they do it. I step on a small toy and pain signals shoot way up to the top of my head. They seemed to be completely oblivious to anything. Babies are tougher then they look. They just look all soft and fragile so we will take care of them.

polynesiangirl

I completely get why it's there and prefer it to the alternative. Having said that, I am almost 30 years old now and I still have light scars on my toes and knees from damage sustained at the wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon when I was about 10 years old, hahaha. It was rough!

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Typhoon Lagoon wave pool -- a rough and dangerous place...but good God is it awesome.

That bottom of that wave pool has produced scars that everyone in my family members has had the pleasure to point at some faded mark on their body, smile and say..."ouch..Yeah I remember that"

Laura

Premium Member
I don't go anywhere without shoes, so I haven't felt the bottoms of those pools with my bare feet, but I have felt them with my knees and elbows. My technique is to stay out of the pool when the waves are going, and then as soon as they stop bolt to the deepest water possible to avoid injury.

Walt Disney1955

Bottom line, do NOT underestimate that wave. It'll kill you. I thought it was going to be rather tame the first time I went. I thought "Heck, it's Disney, it'll be mild". Then the wave hits you and knocks you into the person behind you. I can't tell you how many times my sunglasses fell off my head. You just don't want to be in shallow water when that wave comes crashing in. Because its happened to me and I slid on the floor, on my back. That hurt. But you didn't do that again. You got deeper so you wouldn't be dragged down.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Wearing water shoes is helpful. Plus, the paved walkways in the water parks can get very hot under the sun, and water shoes protect the bottom of your feet.

Also, if you're a reasonably good swimmer, hang out in the deeper end of the wave pool, as the deeper water cushions some of the wave's impact, and you won't get tossed to the bottom of the pool. However, do take care to look around you to make sure you aren't too close to other swimmers, as people can crash into each other if they're not spaced enough apart when the wave approaches.

The only time I had a minor scrape on my knee was when I was standing in the shallow end, and the wave knocked me off balance, where I fell to the bottom of the pool. I've hung out in the deeper end ever since; the wave pool is really fun! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom