Typhoon Lagoon 4 Month Annual Refurb, and swapped with BB

nepalostparks

Original Poster
From Disney's travel agent website:

refurb.jpg

Typhoon Lagoon was previously scheduled for an annual refurb 10/28 - 1/5/13, and Blizzard Beach 1/6 - 3/16/13. Now they've swapped positions, and Typhoon Lagoon is scheduled to be closed until May 6th - a four month closure.

Any word on why the long closure? A new attraction or something else?

ChrisM

Are they finally going to build the rumored "Pirates" expansion? I haven't heard a peep about that in 2-3 years.

Hasn't water park attendance been booming? If so, I could see why they might want to get moving on that.

RSoxNo1

I don't think they could build an entire expansion in 4 months. Perhaps there is work that needs to be done in normal guest areas that will take longer than the standard refurb?

I hate to say it, but the other possibility is also that they feel they don't need both water parks open at the same time for most of the year so Typhoon Lagoon will just be closed during that time period with no necessary work being done.

COProgressFan

I hate to say it, but the other possibility is also that they feel they don't need both water parks open at the same time for most of the year so Typhoon Lagoon will just be closed during that time period with no necessary work being done.

I have no insider knowledge, but given rumors of additional impeding cutbacks/closures, this is more than likely the case. (Much like how resorts or parts of resorts were closed for long periods in 2001/2002). That's not to say that lots of maintenance work won't be done during the closure, but that they are likely intentionally stretching things out with the goal of only keeping 1 water park open for this period to reduce operating costs.

Now, normally that actually makes some sense during the months of Dec/Jan/Feb but I know there is lots of demand for water parks during school vacation weeks in March and April. My guess is that BB will be jammed during that time frame.

leaf44

Does the travel agent website usually get this info first? Is it usually accurate? I am only asking because my friends and I will be visiting the Mouse in November, and one of our few disappointments was that Typhoon Lagoon was going to be closed. If this is true it would be awesome. Just don't want to get my hopes up!

tink27

Is there any truth to this as all of the park hours still say that typhoon lagoon will still be closed over the holiday season and we are heading out november 6th and was extremely disapointed learning it would be closed for our only trip this year :( dont want to go getting my hopes up

nepalostparks

Original Poster
Does the travel agent website usually get this info first? Is it usually accurate? I am only asking because my friends and I will be visiting the Mouse in November, and one of our few disappointments was that Typhoon Lagoon was going to be closed. If this is true it would be awesome. Just don't want to get my hopes up!

Is there any truth to this as all of the park hours still say that typhoon lagoon will still be closed over the holiday season and we are heading out november 6th and was extremely disapointed learning it would be closed for our only trip this year :( dont want to go getting my hopes up

Sometimes the travel agent site gets updated first, sometimes it gets updated last. It's as accurate as any of the refurbishment schedules out there - things do change. But it's an "official" source of information directly from Disney.

I find it most surprising that it changed so drastically just a month or so out. While 4 months isn't necessarily an exceptionally long refurbishment, pushing it all the way through the Spring Break and Easter season seems odd to me.

cheezbat

Either way I think it's long past time for an added attraction or two to Typhoon. It's been over seven years since Crush N Gusher, and as the place stands, it could definitely use a few more rides and attractions.

I just wish Universal would hurry up and build their new waterpark. Then maybe it'll take some of the numbers from the two Disney waterparks and force them to expand to regain attendance.

djlaosc

Either way I think it's long past time for an added attraction or two to Typhoon. It's been over seven years since Crush N Gusher, and as the place stands, it could definitely use a few more rides and attractions.

I just wish Universal would hurry up and build their new waterpark. Then maybe it'll take some of the numbers from the two Disney waterparks and force them to expand to regain attendance.

It may have been 7+ years for TL but has anything actually been added to BB since it opened in 1995 (17.5 years ago)? I don't believe anything has been added since I first went there in 2005 (7 years), but I could be wrong...

I'd be happy to go the a new Universal Waterpark (although we didn't go to WnW last year (we did TL, BB, AQ), but we did in 2005 and 2007)

TowerOfTerror

Heard some rumblings that some of the backstage areas are going to be updated. Then again there would be some permit work filed soon if they plan on do anything.

cheezbat

Heard some rumblings that some of the backstage areas are going to be updated. Then again there would be some permit work filed soon if they plan on do anything.

Backstage backstage backstage...gosh so much work always done to backstage areas! How about spend some extra cash for NEW ATTRACTIONS at the parks! Lol

Yep...no real expansions ever at Blizzard Beach. It's sick how much money the Disney waterparks make, yet aside from yearly general maintenance, there's never any money spent on additions.

COProgressFan

Whoa Steve...we are going to need you to tamp down on the historical data there. We can't let facts prevent a good "TDO is cheap" thread from spooling up.

I don't think anyone was saying "TDO is cheap".... but that it is an interesting choice that TL may be closed during March, April, and into May. Yes, TL was closed last year for 4 months, but not into the spring break and April vacation weeks.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
First, I question the accuracy of the information on the Disney's travel agent website since, so far, it doesn't seem to be available anywhere else.

Second, if it is correct, then it would represent a huge reduction in water park days.

BB/TL Total Days Closed (according to wdwmagic.com data)
2010: 145 days (30-Oct-09 to 23-Mar-10)
2011: 146 days (01-Nov-10 to 26-Mar-11)
2012: 140 days (30-Oct-11 to 17-Mar-12)
2013: 140 days (28-Oct-12 to 16-Mar-13)

BB/TL Total Days Closed (according to OP data)
2013: 191 days (28-Oct-12 to 06-May-13)

Is it possible someone typed in "May" when they meant "March"?

I would think for Spring Break and Easter week, they'd be running at full capacity too.

t3techcom18

I don't think they could build an entire expansion in 4 months. Perhaps there is work that needs to be done in normal guest areas that will take longer than the standard refurb?

Precisely. When they went under for rehab last year, the 4 month closure has been to repair the machine for the wave pool, amongst a larger situation with it I can't mention here.

The past few years haven't been kind to the wave pool mechanism so I imagine this is just along the same lines as what's been happening. If this isn't a typo, they wouldn't close down TL during Spring Break to cut back on operating costs or for any small reasons. That's considered the start of the summer season, as most days TL and BB go to capacity (or close to it) during Spring Break. They'd be losing serious dough.

AmongMadPeople

Interestingly, the TA site now says TL is back to 10/28/12-1/5/13 refurb schedule, but BB is now 1/6/13-5/16/13. No screen shot, but I've quadruple checked that it says 5/16, not 3/16.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
I agree. IMHO, it seems strange to have either water park closed in late March, April, or May. I believe these are very popular times for the water parks, with people from the north heading down to enjoy the water. It just doesn't make sense unless there is a major problem at the wave pool.

Especially with the outstanding water offering across I4.

leaf44

So it sounds like it has switched back to the original refurb dates, except Blizzard Beach might be closed until May? I knew better than to get my hopes up :(.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom