Two-way radios

David

We were at WDW in May 2000 and are going back in October. I noticed a lot of people using the two-way radios, but on another thread I read where some people have not had good luck with them. Anybody been able to get them to work properly? If so, what is the range and what type radio did you use. Are these charged up or battery operated? Thanks

NowInc

Originally posted by David
We were at WDW in May 2000 and are going back in October. I noticed a lot of people using the two-way radios, but on another thread I read where some people have not had good luck with them. Anybody been able to get them to work properly? If so, what is the range and what type radio did you use. Are these charged up or battery operated? Thanks

They work..but remeber...the parks are BIG..so chances are if you are too far apart from the other person..you wont get any reception...the longer the range..the more expensive...

Upvote 0

MGMBoy

Plus remember that those radios have a finite number of possible frequencies. When I was down there on the CP Id see people sitting around listening to the radio just checking to see if one of the broadcasts was for them. On a bad day there could be four or five families on every frequency. I'd suggest that if you're taking them to only use them as a last resort and still plan meeting point/times. That's far easier IMHO. TTFN.

Upvote 0

NowInc

O yeah...i forgot about that...lol....

Personally..you really should have no need for them...but hey..if you like to keep tabs on whats going on..I guess its a good idea..

BTW..I wont tell you what it is.but one of the frequencies is the "disney" one that basically tells wait times etc thats supposed to be for CMs only ;)

Upvote 0

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
The Motorola Talkabout® is pretty good....
The Family model has a 2 mile range...
The Recreational model has a range up to 5 miles...
Ane the pro model has a 6 mile range.... and that is what most of the park folks use....I think...

I know the Fam one does not require an FCC lisence....but I am almost certain the other 2 do....

Oh...I am a sucha geek...LOL:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: ;)

Upvote 0

gepetto

We had the Cobra radios and never could get them to work in the park. Too many other people on the same frequency. Maybe someone here will know of a brand that works better.

Upvote 0

Bdis86

Account Suspended
The new 5 mi. range ones run for about $70 a radio. When you enter the park, you need to make sure that no one else is on the same channel you are on. Cobra and Motorola are the best brands to get.

Upvote 0

Debbie

We got ours from Marlboro and they work just fine. They are good when my husband takes a kid on a ride and I have the others with me. That way I can go walk around and he can call me when they get off the ride.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

We bought Cobra's for August with a 2 mile range for only 30 dollars for the pair. They were OK but sometimes we had a lot of families on the same frequency. Then when we bought tires for our SUV Michelin gave us Free motorola's. They have 14 channels and 38 privacy codes, which makes it very hard to hear other peoples conversation. I recommend spending a little extra to get the one's with the privacy codes so you don't get all the other people.

Upvote 0

Sheri

We brought some down the last time we went, it worked pretty good because that way my family could go to different places in the park, but I never had any difficulty with em. i'm not sure what kind...if I find out, I'll find out, basically, lol

my brother has these really expensive ones, and they're real nice, lol...I like turning them on and wasting the battery on them for him, coz I'm such a nice sister :) :lookaroun :p

Upvote 0

General Grizz

Yea...last time I brought them, I had a whole other group on the same "line"! They were calling one another, but it picked up to me during Splash Mountain..geez...

So they do get annoying since other groups may have the same model... :D

Upvote 0

monorail256

they are a good thing to have if your group will be split up in a park... now if your group is split up into 2 totally different parks... dont use them, all youll get are a whole bunch of ppl you dont know

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

My cobras would sometimes turn on because of the way they were in my backpack. They went on in Sounds Dangerous with Drew Carey. People next to me weren't to happy with that one.

Upvote 0

mickeyfan

We have the more expensive Motorola Talkabouts and we love them. We have never had any problems with them. On two occasions we had some interference at the Magic Kingdom only, so we just changed channels and had no problems. We wouldn't go without them now!!

Upvote 0

dalton30720

We bought Cobra MicroTalk 3's a few years ago. We've used them on 4 trips to WDW and haven't ever had any problems with them. Our last trip was during Christmas / New Year's. Even though the park was crowded, we had no problems using our radios in any of the parks. It sure does make it easy when some of your party splits up to do other things and then needs to find each other again afterwards. The fast walkers can go on ahead and get in line at an attraction, while the slow ones (usually with the younger kids) can catch up and find them easily with the radios. I highly recommend them.

Upvote 0

David

Original Poster
Thanks to all who responded. I think I will bite the bullet, buy some radios and give it a try. Even if there is some interference, I am sure that will not happen all the time. My son will have fun with them anyway.

214 days to go!

This is worse than waiting for Christmas:sohappy:

Upvote 0

DigitalDisney

Am I the only one who despises these radios? I think they're a good idea in general, but I've heard people use them in the middle of a show (HISTA or AA, for example), and that'a extremely rude and uncourteous.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom