Two Platinum Releases a Year Starting in 2004

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Disney announced during its Conference Call/Webcast on Quarter 2 Financial Results that beginning next year, TWO Platinum Editions will be released every year, one in March and one in October, condensing the 10-year-rotation plan to a 7-year one by 2007. Instead of the three-month selling and ten-year moratorium windows, the new plans leave titles for sale in the market for two years, and then put them on moratorium for just five years. In addition, Ultimate Disney notes that Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Fantasia and Peter Pan are becoming part of the Platinum Collection.

From Animated News

MicBat

2 a year??? I kind of like the whole 1 a year thing. It makes you enjoy it more b/c you have to wait out a year for the next one. I guess it's cool, though. One for my birthday (may) and the other for christmas! :)

Caylan79

a warning

Hey folks

Just a warning . . . high definition DVD is in development as we speak. There is some controvery amongst the studios about have HD-DVD will be produced, it involves the type of laser used . . . blue or red. Anyway, we're probably 10 years or less from HD-DVD moving on to the market.

Assuming HD-DVD is embraced with the same enthusiasm as DVD, you could find yourself replacing all of these platinum editions, etc... within a few years . . . again, as you did with all the VHS editions of the movies.

Just wanted you to know. :)

Of course, I have been suckered into buying the Disney Treasures series . . . and I'll replace them HD-DVD if they are released again. *sigh* :)

TURKEY

So far the Platinum series has been Beauty and the Beast and Lion King right?

So are they going to release all of them (2 a year) in IMAX as well or are we looking at straight to video/DVD with one or both?

In Response to Caylan:

They have yet to come up with the standard for HD-DVD. Sony is going with the blue-ray laser and another group wants to use the red laser currently used for DVD. They don't expect a standard until sometime later this year at the earliest.

You can read more at html://www.avsforum.com/

On a side note, T2 Extreme edition will be available in 1080i format on computers utilizing Windows Media Player 9. Yet another option on the way to creating HD-DVD.

Stitchaholic

the news was taken from Ultimatedisney.com. HD-DVD will be back compatible with present DVDs so if you dont have to buy new dvds unless you want the movie in high definition. of course tvs will be highdefinition by then. :)

HD-DVD has not been decided yet. The Blue laser technology that Sony is pushing is NOT compatible with existing DVDs. It is currently for sale in Japan and utilizes a cartridge/DVD technology.

The current guess is that HD-DVD will not take immeadiate hold unless it is backwards compatible.

Coree

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
So far the Platinum series has been Beauty and the Beast and Lion King right?

So are they going to release all of them (2 a year) in IMAX as well or are we looking at straight to video/DVD with one or both?

I believe Snow White was the first one.

blm07

Why can't Disney just leave their videos out forever, it is real annoying knowing the video is gonna be gone in a while.

Goofster

I heard the animators were having trouble getting the Little Mermaid ready for IMAX, and it might not go to the theaters, but I believe Aladdin is go for IMAX. I would bet it will only be the more recent movies that make it to IMAX, but who knows, we'll see.

Bagheera

Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
In addition, Ultimate Disney notes that Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio, Fantasia and Peter Pan are becoming part of the Platinum Collection.

If Sleeping Beauty is becoming part of the Platinum Collection, that poses a bit of a dilemma. Sleeping Beauty (standard) is currently slated for release on 9/9, and the Lion King Platinum Edition is slated for release on 10/7. Is Sleeping Beauty going to go Platinum a month before Lion King? Is Sleeping Beauty going to be released standard, and then go Platinum at the end of the cycle? Sounds like they need to think about this.

Goofster

Wow, interesting, I hadn't even thought about the fact that Sleeping Beauty was going to be a 2 disc anyway, so why don't they put a tad more work in and make it a platinum, but if they did this, when would they release it? Stick with the current standard date, or slap it on at the end?

Please let the standard release date turn into the platinum release date!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom