Two new Disney Cruise Line ships??

Mouse Detective

What about their repositioning cruises from LA to Seattle? Didn't they just make a brief stop in Mexico with other stops along the Californian coastline?

They could not offer a cruise from LA to Seattle. It could have been offered as LA to Vancouver though, ending there. I don't recall the Disney situation specifically though. But if you look at other cruise lines that operate out of Seattle in the summer for Alaska sailings (NCL, Princess, HAL), they reposition their ships from California to Vancouver via 3-4 night cruises. They then sell a 1-night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle. And you can't legally be a passenger on both sailings as that would be sailing from one American port to another, something illegal for foreign-flagged ships to offer. (Just like foreign airlines can't fly you between two American cities.)

asianway

They could not offer a cruise from LA to Seattle. It could have been offered as LA to Vancouver though, ending there. I don't recall the Disney situation specifically though. But if you look at other cruise lines that operate out of Seattle in the summer for Alaska sailings (NCL, Princess, HAL), they reposition their ships from California to Vancouver via 3-4 night cruises. They then sell a 1-night cruise from Vancouver to Seattle. And you can't legally be a passenger on both sailings as that would be sailing from one American port to another, something illegal for foreign-flagged ships to offer. (Just like foreign airlines can't fly you between two American cities.)
There is no Magic repositioning cruise from Miami to Canaveral, there is a one day hole where it must make the trip crew only

DisneyJoe

We're headed out on the Dream on 4/28 and they still are offering Florida resident rates, IGT and VGT. A ton of stateroom categories are still available. No way that cruise is going out 100%. We're 9 days out.

There are approximately 25 rooms open right now.

Also, from a cruise special I saw on the Travel Channel, a cruise is considered "full" (100%) when they have the equivalent of 2 guests per room. In other words, they can sail with these 25 rooms empty, and have enough passengers sailing in other rooms to consider the ship full.

See http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...18_1_disney-fantasy-disney-dream-cruise-fleet where they talk about having occupancy rates of 132% to 152%.

Jim Chandler

Jim you may want to take another look at your figures......that article is November 29, 2012, that is 6 months ago and long before the many problems Carnival Line had with all its many incidents, fires, etc. this winter. and the past few years.

Right now Carnival is almost giving away cruises, people that had not fully paid there booked cruises are cancelling left and right. Not to mention Carnival Inc. has reduced its dividends and revenue forecasts since the Triumph fire. and this is from announcements from Carnival Line.

Yes the industry has taken a hit from the Carnival/Costa disasters. I would more like to see the figure over the last few years of the bad economy, that would give a better idea. Is it a death knell...NO!

Just for the record, Carnival Inc., owns Costa and owns Princess by way of having brought Cunard, which then owned Princess.

NCL is not owned by Princess and to the best of my knowledge is independent.

As to the capacity figures, those vessel were ordered a long time ago...they are coming on line whether the Lines want them or not. But more to the point will they ill them?.......will they be taking any vessels out of the fleets?

This article is newer and is a interesting read:

http://www.cruisemarketwatch.com/ar...triumph-strike-three-for-the-cruise-industry/

JMHO for thought!

AKK
I
I did look at that site and yes they have had issues but even that site shows that the industry despite the issues with Carnival is still thriving and growing.
The issues are for Carnival but that is Carnival. Just like anything else what happens to a competitor has minimal if any affect on your product. If it did with the 3 million cars being recalled we'd all stop buying cars but that does not happen. People did not stop buying Toyota's they slumped but are back on track. People also know that Carnival is the same management group as mentioned by others. Like stated a Corrolla recall does not affect even other Toyota offerings that much.
Still predicted to grow by 13% this year. Hell I'm taking the new Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda in Sept out of NY

disney fan 13

Having sailed on an Oasis class ship with RCCL, I can say that, for me at least, it was my favorite ship ever. Yeah, I liked it better than the Magic.

It's big, sure, but the way it broken up into....I guess neighborhoods is s good word, it really wasn't overwhelming at all. Beautiful ship.

Yup, Booked for August on the Allure, pretty excited.

Tonka's Skipper

I
I did look at that site and yes they have had issues but even that site shows that the industry despite the issues with Carnival is still thriving and growing.
The issues are for Carnival but that is Carnival. Just like anything else what happens to a competitor has minimal if any affect on your product. If it did with the 3 million cars being recalled we'd all stop buying cars but that does not happen. People did not stop buying Toyota's they slumped but are back on track. People also know that Carnival is the same management group as mentioned by others. Like stated a Corrolla recall does not affect even other Toyota offerings that much.
Still predicted to grow by 13% this year. Hell I'm taking the new Norwegian Breakaway to Bermuda in Sept out of NY

I would with all respect suggest you review carnival Line and Carnival Inc. Not to mention all the discounted and OBC deals being given industry wide, there is no evidence that show the industry as *thriving. Carnival Inc. has announced deep cuts in stock dividends and earnings. Carnival has major problems and expenses. There are rumors, they may have to break up Carnival Inc. in order to get out from under.

This is not just Carnival line, its Carnival Inc. which as you pointed out is a big part of the market. Repeated major fires( not just the Triumph and Splendor), accidents, sinking and deaths and design/safety issues in some vessels. This is being reported more and more in the world news and people are paying attention.

People that are newbies and thinking of cruising, many have put that off or are just scared to cruise now, so that effects most of not all lines!

In any case....lets give it a little time and see what is reported later in the year. Time will tell!

AKK

nicknick553

I was in the Parks yesterday and I asked several Cast Members if they knew anything about the new ships and all of them knew quite a bit about it and seemed very excited

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
They can build a ship faster than a meet n greet tent...

Strange timing, I'm hearing DCL is underperforming at the moment

I expect DCL is performing just fine but since it's P&R some TDO folks have moved there and are bringing their cutting disease with them all those deluxe touches are instead 'wasteful spending' by the time the TDO zombies are done passengers will be chained to the oars for propulsion.

Jakester

TBH, if this were happening we would definetely heard something from The Disney Company. Not saying this wasn't planned at one point.

Steel City Magic

New name. The Disney Yinz.
We got donnie iris performing all hours of the day. Our master chef, cousin dennis can also perform a wedding if you have one too many mikes hard lemonades and decide to get fancy, and we got enough chipped ham in storage to last us through the next ice age. The disney yinz: Yinz guys will love us!

flyerjab

I was listening to one of the recent DIS unplugged podcasts the other day and they were talking about the DCL and addressing the rumors surrounding new ships. At some point in time there were rumors that DCL was adding 2 new ships to the "fleet". The company that they contracted to build their ships (the name escapes me) is currently constructing ships for another cruise line. According to them - and considering they run a travel company and work with DCL I consider them a decent source for this subject - the earliest that work on any new ship or ships could commence is 2015/2016. So even if there is truth to the rumors about new ships, it will be some time before another ship is added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom