Two new Disney Cruise Line ships??

artdeco

Speaking strictly as a frequent cruiser on several lines, with no interest in cruise industry finances, Magic and Wonder are in severe need of a refit. Other lines at the high end of the midrange cruise spectrum are drydocking every few years and lately they've been performing major refits at around the 12-year mark (e.g. Celebrity's Millenium class, RCI's Radiance). Magic and Wonder are looking very, very old in terms of design and features, maintenance notwithstanding.

I haven't been on Dream class, but several friends have. The consensus among them is that the DCL experience didn't scale up well and they felt crowded and herded about. I have been on Celebrity's Solstice-class and RCI's Oasis-class ships. They're beautiful and loaded, but less personal than smaller ships. They're too big. Our preference is for ships around or under 100k tons.

Also on the topic of ship size, I was on a smaller Celebrity ship in Cozumel in February and Oasis loomed next to us. The two top cabin decks were empty across the length of the ship. Deck furniture stacked and not in use. Admittedly, it was February and these are suites and top-end balconies, but they were empty. That ship isn't selling out every cruise.

And that's really the goal. Cruise prices will go as low as necessary to fill the ship. Lots of money is made onboard, so they want to fill the ship. If Oasis couldn't fill the ship even at $100 per day balconies, then I believe the ship might be too big. I know they're building another Oasis-class. They obviously can make the numbers work or they wouldn't order the ship, but all of the above makes me think that ships over 150k tons are just too big.

I'm hoping for a major refit of Magic and Wonder.

artdeco

Another thought... Magic and Wonder are absolutely gorgeous in profile. Dream and Fantasy, as all larger ships, are not. Not sleek, not handsome.

A ship's outward appearance is not really that important since, as a customer, you're seeing the inside most of the time. But I'll admit that when I see Magic and Wonder at port, I get a good eyeful. When I see Norwegian Epic or Allure of the Seas, I laugh. No, I really do!

Rodan75

I was just on the Fantasy in January, and I didn't really think that the ship felt too big or too busy for a 7 day cruise. The ship was said to be at 100% occupancy. I think though that a 3 day cruise on the Dream may be a different situation as the dynamics of a shorter cruise would lead to too many people trying to do the same thing at once.

I would like to try one of the smaller ships, but the lack of updated features does give me pause. I hope that more ships(regardless of size) would enable more regular re-fits and technology updates.

I disagree on the shape of the ships, I think all of them are very attractive in profile. The Dream class really isn't as large as the other mega-ships and I think fills a nice middle niche already.

StringBeanDream

Also on the topic of ship size, I was on a smaller Celebrity ship in Cozumel in February and Oasis loomed next to us. The two top cabin decks were empty across the length of the ship. Deck furniture stacked and not in use. Admittedly, it was February and these are suites and top-end balconies, but they were empty. That ship isn't selling out every cruise.

Just an FYI they do balcony cleaning every week when the ship is in Cozumel. They open all the partitions and clear of furniture to power-wash and paint.That is why it might have looked empty. That ship is selling very well.

artdeco

Just an FYI they do balcony cleaning every week when the ship is in Cozumel. They open all the partitions and clear of furniture to power-wash and paint.That is why it might have looked empty. That ship is selling very well.

Yeah they were cleaning balconies top-to-bottom, you're right. Lots of crew out there with hoses and towels and squeegees.

However, before the cleaning started, the balconies were unused and the chairs leaned up against the tables on the top deck. The curtains all closed. Nobody was home. This was in contrast to all decks below, which showed signs of use.

I believe the ship sells well. It must, because other RCI Caribbean balconies are cheaper. They're still getting a premium for Oasis for sure. Could be the mid-Feb sailing.

I took pics because I wanted to remember it so I could watch prices on that cruise next year. Always looking for a deal. :) Correction: top 1 deck

https://www.dropbox.com/s/992lku01r8nt3gn/2013-02-21 10.20.32.jpg

asianway

I was just on the Fantasy in January, and I didn't really think that the ship felt too big or too busy for a 7 day cruise. The ship was said to be at 100% occupancy. I think though that a 3 day cruise on the Dream may be a different situation as the dynamics of a shorter cruise would lead to too many people trying to do the same thing at once.

I would like to try one of the smaller ships, but the lack of updated features does give me pause. I hope that more ships(regardless of size) would enable more regular re-fits and technology updates.

I disagree on the shape of the ships, I think all of them are very attractive in profile. The Dream class really isn't as large as the other mega-ships and I think fills a nice middle niche already.
Most every Disney cruise goes out 100% occupied. It's how deeply did they need to discount it to get there

artdeco

I think though that a 3 day cruise on the Dream may be a different situation as the dynamics of a shorter cruise would lead to too many people trying to do the same thing at once.

I would like to try one of the smaller ships, but the lack of updated features does give me pause.

Agree strongly on both points!

Rodan75

Most every Disney cruise goes out 100% occupied. It's how deeply did they need to discount it to get there

I really question the 'deeply discounted to get there' even the 'deep discounts' in Gavelston are far more expensive than Carnival/RCI (pre-Triumph).

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
We're headed out on the Dream on 4/28 and they still are offering Florida resident rates, IGT and VGT. A ton of stateroom categories are still available. No way that cruise is going out 100%. We're 9 days out.

orky8

Not necessarily. They could make their first / last stop in Mexico someplace before docking back in the USA.

Nope. Sorry. You cannot transport from one U.S. port to another U.S. port unless you make a stop at a distant foreign port, which Mexico is not. Therefore, the only way to do one-way trips is to start or end in Mexico.

ETA: If that is what you mean, then yes, that would work. They can't "pick up" people at a U.S. port, though, so people would literally have to get off in Mexico, which I don't think people want to do.

ETA2: Is the fine really only $300 p/p? Does anyone know if there are other consequences?

Longhairbear

Nope. Sorry. You cannot transport from one U.S. port to another U.S. port unless you make a stop at a distant foreign port, which Mexico is not. Therefore, the only way to do one-way trips is to start or end in Mexico.

ETA: If that is what you mean, then yes, that would work. They can't "pick up" people at a U.S. port, though, so people would literally have to get off in Mexico, which I don't think people want to do.

ETA2: Is the fine really only $300 p/p? Does anyone know if there are other consequences?
Correct me if I am wrong, but the Wonder cruised to Hawaii and visited either Mexico, or Canada along the way.( I have no intention of looking up that itinerary) It was a one way cruise for many in either direction, and saw passengers flying back to the mainland, or to Hawaii for the cruise back. Some may have stayed on board for the entire round trip Pacific crossing. Does the maritime law actually state a minimum distance from the U.S. to a foreign port to satisfy the law?
We did the California Coast 7 night cruise starting and ending in the Port Of Los Angeles on the Wonder, and spent a half day docked in Mexico. Not many went on shore, we didn't.

Tonka's Skipper

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Wonder cruised to Hawaii and visited either Mexico, or Canada along the way.( I have no intention of looking up that itinerary) It was a one way cruise for many in either direction, and saw passengers flying back to the mainland, or to Hawaii for the cruise back. Some may have stayed on board for the entire round trip Pacific crossing. Does the maritime law actually state a minimum distance from the U.S. to a foreign port to satisfy the law?
We did the California Coast 7 night cruise starting and ending in the Port Of Los Angeles on the Wonder, and spent a half day docked in Mexico. Not many went on shore, we didn't.

All the Wonder trips were round trips!

Tonka's Skipper

I was not the one talking about the foreign stops MT. However I believe your right on the Seattle to LA cruises.

You are allowed round trips, they are called *closed loops*, to the same destination, including cruises to no where. What you can't do is pick up passengers in one port and then leave them at another!

Longhairbear

I was not the one talking about the foreign stops MT. However I believe your right on the Seattle to LA cruises.

You are allowed round trips, they are called *closed loops*, to the same destination, including cruises to no where. What you can't do is pick up passengers in one port and then leave them at another!
Is there a maximum of passengers that can disembark? John Lassiter and his wife got on at LA, and left the ship in SF.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom