Two new Disney Cruise Line ships??

DocMcHulk

Original Poster
A little rumor just started by one of @WDW1974 's favorite people: Ricky Brigante
I’ve just returned from four days at sea on the illustrious Disney Dream with news that’s making its way across all decks. According to multiple sources onboard, Disney Cruise Line is expected to make some big announcements soon regarding its current and future fleet of ships.

If the at-sea talk is true, Disney Cruise Line plans to add two new cruise ships, launching one in 2015 and one in 2016. The ships will reportedly be sized between the existing offerings, larger than the Disney Magic and Disney Wonder, but smaller than the Disney Dream and Disney Fantasy.

The Magic and Wonder are also reportedly slated for major makeovers, adding further enhancements that will temporarily take them out of service, perhaps just as the new ships arrive. The (unofficial) Disney Cruise Line blog shared renderings back in January of what the older ship updates may include.

Genie of the Lamp

This would definitely be welcoming news. I don't however see them going with 2 new ships. I'd suspect maybe 1 new ship being constructed with the major makeovers for the Magic and Wonder. Should be interesting and hopefully New Orleans becomes a port city for DCL. My guess for the name would be the Disney Royalty or the Disney Enchantment (or Disney Spirit as well).

Edit: Maybe this gets announced at the Monstrous Summer Press event in a couple weeks being that one of the subjects they'll discuss there are "Disney Cruise Line news". However, I'd think they'd wait until D23 for that and maybe only announce upcoming 2014 cruise traveling destinations or something for this press event.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
My only wonder is if 6 ships would over-saturate the market. From what I understand the cruises departing from Canaveral sell like gangbusters. The other ports sell OK, but almost always seem to have to run a promotion to sell out.

I tend to agree, although I do wonder if this wouldn't allow Disney to permanently station one ship in Europe, for Mediterranean cruises....

tracyandalex

I tend to agree, although I do wonder if this wouldn't allow Disney to permanently station one ship in Europe, for Mediterranean cruises....

That's what I was thinking - another permanent port. There have been floating rumors about New Orleans courting DCL with the new port they are building.

muteki

The more the merrier, can't get much better than Dream/Fantasy though. Having less people on board might be nice however, and they wouldn't have to build out the dock at Castaway either.

Less money for the parks, but what else is new.

nicknick553

I think the rumored launch dates are a little too soon though. 2015 and 2016? I think it is very likely they will be adding new ships but not sailing this soon.

Nmoody1

I think the rumored launch dates are a little too soon though. 2015 and 2016? I think it is very likely they will be adding new ships but not sailing this soon.

Totally agree about timings. 2015 is too soon to get a ship into service.... Certainly if they haven't started work on it yet.

Can see Disney opting for ships in between the Magic and Wonder sizes....

Disney could probably benefit from moving the older ships to Europe and Asia - Disney hasa huge following in Japan - offering cruises from near TokyoDisneyland would be so popular I'd imagine - however it would require a lot more Asian crew. Australia would probably be a potential summer port - bringing Disney to an area that doesn't have Disney parks.

In Europe, cruises could continue in the summer out of Barcelona and even the UK - with winter cruises around Scandinavia - the Wonder would probably be based here as its already set with the necessary equipment.

I think the original ships will need to be removed from US operation as the newer ships are more superior to the Magic class ships, even with enhancements we are he to hear about. I think for a young fleet like Disney they probably only have about 10 years more service in them - as Disney ships at least.

Disney Cruise Line will continue to expand - can't wait, and the new ships will be so much better as Disney learnt their design flaws with the new ships.... Ie not enough wet space etc.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom