Two New “Disneyland After Dark” Events to Be Announced Soon

NateD1226

Original Poster
Blog Mickey has stated
We don’t usually cover Disneyland events and info, but we have a new rumor passed along to us that says that two “Disneyland After Dark” events are to be announced soon. Last year, Disney announced their 2018 Disneyland After Dark event around this time, so we anticipate an announcement will be made soon. As for the themes, here’s what we’re told:

• Disneyland After Dark: 90s Nite
  • Disneyland After Dark: Sweethearts’ Nite

As far as dates and cost, we’re still not sure what will be announced, but we anticipate 90s Nite kicking off in January and Sweethearts’ Nite to take place in February.

PacNWTigger

giphy.gif

Californian Elitist

No original Star Tours or Captain EO, original Space Mountain music, or anything interesting for that matter aside from the "Indiana Jones Decoder Card". Sweetheart's night sounds like a nice idea but it doesn't do enough for me. I guess characters and photo backdrops aren't enough for me and my SO to want to buy a separate ticket.

Star Tours, Captain EO, and original Space Mountain music aren’t products of the 90’s.

VJ

The original Space Mountain music is a product of the 90s. The other two did not come out in the 90s but were the versions that existed in the park at that time. They could even do Honey I Shrunk the Audience if they wanted it to be from 97 and onward.
They should completely change the park to look like it did in the 90s (including turning DCA into a parking lot) for one night only.

;)

Californian Elitist

The original Space Mountain music is a product of the 90s. The other two did not come out in the 90s but were the versions that existed in the park at that time. They could even do Honey I Shrunk the Audience if they wanted it to be from 97 and onward.

Current Disney doesn’t think this way.

Sharon&Susan

Disney Parks Blog said:
A re-imagined Disney Afternoon Avenue
One of the worst promotions that Disney has ever created is being recreated and being used as a selling point? DCA After Dark with it's Superstar Limo recreation should be fun.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is what I don't understand, wouldn't changing the theater film, space mountain music, and star tours film be simple or is there something I am missing? Why recreate Disney Afternoon Avenue?

Nostalgia. Kids that grew up in the 90s is the largest demographic with purchase power. And they have fond memories of the Disney Afternoon of the 90s. Its the same reason why some of these cartoons have gotten a reboot.

So while I'm not a nostalgia for nostalgia sake kind of guy, I understand why they are doing it. Its all marketing.

TragicMike

Nostalgia. Kids that grew up in the 90s is the largest demographic with purchase power. And they have fond memories of the Disney Afternoon of the 90s. Its the same reason why some of these cartoons have gotten a reboot.

So while I'm not a nostalgia for nostalgia sake kind of guy, I understand why they are doing it. Its all marketing.
Yeah, it's almost like Disney likes money or something.

SuddenStorm

No original Star Tours or Captain EO, original Space Mountain music, or anything interesting for that matter aside from the "Indiana Jones Decoder Card". Sweetheart's night sounds like a nice idea but it doesn't do enough for me. I guess characters and photo backdrops aren't enough for me and my SO to want to buy a separate ticket.

I assume these would all be incredibly simple to implement, and would have made the event far more noteworthy.

I wonder how labor intensive running a version of the '92 Fantasmic would be- using screens to substitute for the physical props that have been removed with the new version. Probably cost prohibitive, but since it's all digital I doubt it's impossible.

If Disney committed to the idea and did a '90s party Spring series like Mickey's Halloween Party where they offered the '90s version of various attractions it'd actually be something park fans would go nuts for.

VJ

Yeah, but a lot of thought went into just that thought. And all that stuff which isn't just about money... gets connected to money.
You asked for it, bucko! Here's every relevant Walt quote I can dig up concerning this topic:

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”

“Everybody thinks that [Disneyland] is a gold mine—but we have had our problems. You’ve got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, ‘Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we’d save a lot of money.’ But I don’t believe in that—it’s like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh.”

“Money is something I understand only vaguely, and think about it only when I don’t have enough to finance my current enthusiasm, whatever it may be. All I know about money is that I have to have it to do things. I don’t want to bank my dividends, I’d rather keep my money working. I regard it as a moral obligation to pay back borrowed money. When I make a profit, I don’t squander it or hide it away; I immediately plow it back into a fresh project. I have little respect for money as such; I regard it merely as a medium for financing new ideas. I neither wish nor intend to amass a personal fortune. Money—or rather the lack of it to carry out my ideas—may worry me, but it does not excite me. Ideas excite me.”

“You reach a point where you don’t work for money.”

“Biggest problem? Well, I’d say it’s been my biggest problem all my life. MONEY. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true. From the very start it was a problem. Getting the money to open Disneyland. About seventeen million, it took. And we had everything mortgaged, including my family. But we were able to get it open and in the ten or eleven years now we have been pouring more money back in. In other words, like the old farmer, you have to pour it back into the ground if you want it to grow. That’s my brother’s philosophy and mine, too.”

“I’ve always been bored with just making money. I’ve wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going. What money meant to me was that I was able to get money to do that for me.”

Hatbox Ghostbuster

You asked for it, bucko! Here's every relevant Walt quote I can dig up concerning this topic:

“Disneyland is a work of love. We didn’t go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money.”

“Everybody thinks that [Disneyland] is a gold mine—but we have had our problems. You’ve got to work it and know how to handle it. Even trying to keep that park clean is a tremendous expense. And those sharp-pencil guys tell you, ‘Walt, if we cut down on maintenance, we’d save a lot of money.’ But I don’t believe in that—it’s like any other show on the road; it must be kept clean and fresh.”

“Money is something I understand only vaguely, and think about it only when I don’t have enough to finance my current enthusiasm, whatever it may be. All I know about money is that I have to have it to do things. I don’t want to bank my dividends, I’d rather keep my money working. I regard it as a moral obligation to pay back borrowed money. When I make a profit, I don’t squander it or hide it away; I immediately plow it back into a fresh project. I have little respect for money as such; I regard it merely as a medium for financing new ideas. I neither wish nor intend to amass a personal fortune. Money—or rather the lack of it to carry out my ideas—may worry me, but it does not excite me. Ideas excite me.”

“You reach a point where you don’t work for money.”

“Biggest problem? Well, I’d say it’s been my biggest problem all my life. MONEY. It takes a lot of money to make these dreams come true. From the very start it was a problem. Getting the money to open Disneyland. About seventeen million, it took. And we had everything mortgaged, including my family. But we were able to get it open and in the ten or eleven years now we have been pouring more money back in. In other words, like the old farmer, you have to pour it back into the ground if you want it to grow. That’s my brother’s philosophy and mine, too.”

“I’ve always been bored with just making money. I’ve wanted to do things; I wanted to build things, to get something going. What money meant to me was that I was able to get money to do that for me.”
Someone just read those quotes at the latest board meeting...
giphy.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom