TV watchdog dismisses Snow White complaints

cherrynegra

Original Poster
TV watchdog dismisses Snow White complaints
By Judy Ngao
South China Morning Post
10/1/2005

The more than 350 complaints made against celebrity offspring Joyce Cheng Yan-yee's appearance on television as Snow White at Disneyland's opening gala have been found unsubstantiated.

The Television and Entertainment Licensing Authority (Tela) ruled late last week that the show was not "unsuitable for children" and did not "cause distress".

Since her appearance as Snow White in Hong Kong Disneyland's opening gala on September 11, which was broadcast on TVB Jade, Tela has received 363 complaints.

Cheng is the daughter of veteran actress Lydia Shum Din-ha and actor Adam Cheng Siu-chau. The 18-year-old girl who used to weigh 102kg received a lot of media exposure after she successfully lost close to 45kg over the past two years.

Tela's principal entertainment standards control officer (broadcasting) Rose May Li said all the complaints were very similar: Cheng pretending to be a princess was disturbing, unsuitable for children to watch and could mislead them. They said the show should have indicated that parental guidance was necessary.

"It seemed like complainants were focusing on the target [Cheng], instead of any violation of broadcasting laws," Ms Li said.

Both Disney and TVB declined to comment on the ruling yesterday. TVB has received three complaints about the show. Media critic Stephen Sze Man-hung said those who complained were overreacting.

"The reason for all these complaints might be because most people's perception of a princess is an innocent, elegant and beautiful western woman. Using somebody [Cheng] who did not have a beautiful face or the perfect body to portray a princess may have offended people and ruined their perception of a princess."

Her exposure in the media in the past months could have escalated the negative response, he added. "There was no nudity or anything that violated broadcasting laws [in the show], so I think the complaints might have been targeted at her personally."

cherrynegra

Original Poster
I don't know who this Cheng person is or what she looks like, but I'd feel horribly if I were her and I'd been described in the same way: :lol: :lol:

"The reason for all these complaints might be because most people's perception of a princess is an innocent, elegant and beautiful western woman. Using somebody [Cheng] who did not have a beautiful face or the perfect body to portray a princess may have offended people and ruined their perception of a princess."

dflye

So are they saying that only caucasian women are hot enough to be a princess? :eek:

Were these complaints from westerners living in asia, or from natives, I wonder? :veryconfu

cherrynegra

Original Poster
dflye said:
So are they saying that only caucasian women are hot enough to be a princess? :eek:

Were these complaints from westerners living in asia, or from natives, I wonder? :veryconfu

I think the complaints were against this particular performer. Sounded like people had it out for her. How petty!! :rolleyes:

Woody13

cherrynegra said:
Yes, I saw that as well. That was the before picture. I've seen pics of her after, and she wasn't unattractive at all.
Well, you need to post it. That first picture was not "princess" quality by any stretch!

Fido

I thought that maybe she had a local stigma about her or something. Like if Madonna was portraying Snow White here in the states, people would complain because of her 'naughty girl' reputation. Is it just because they thought she was ugly?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom