Tusker House or Chef Mickey’s

Chars0704

Original Poster
We are going to Disney in April with an almost 3 year old. When we went last year, she loved the character dining so we wanted to do it again. I have quite a few princess meals covered and would like 1 Mickey & the gang.

We went to Garden Grill before and didn’t enjoy the food so my husband refuses to go there again.

We are spending the day at AK but are staying at the WL so either isn’t a big deal for us.

Which one would you prefer? For character interaction and dining. More so the characters for her. I am really flip-flopping between the 2.

Thanks!

kimberlymautz

I haven't been to Tusker House yet (though we're going at the end of the month!), but Chef Mickey's was great! Food was good and the characters took their time signing autographs and taking photos with both of my kiddos. I also liked that they spaced them out so one or two characters would come over at a time and then there was a break to get food or eat. I'll have a better idea of which I'd suggest at the end of the month though (we're actually going to both).

Chars0704

Original Poster
I haven't been to Tusker House yet (though we're going at the end of the month!), but Chef Mickey's was great! Food was good and the characters took their time signing autographs and taking photos with both of my kiddos. I also liked that they spaced them out so one or two characters would come over at a time and then there was a break to get food or eat. I'll have a better idea of which I'd suggest at the end of the month though (we're actually going to both).
Thanks! I was also now debating 1900 Park fare because of Cinderella and the step sisters 🤔. But do we want all princesses.

kimberlymautz

Thanks! I was also now debating 1900 Park fare because of Cinderella and the step sisters 🤔. But do we want all princesses.

We did 1900 Park Fare on our last trip and I didn't book it again for our upcoming one....
Prince Charming and Anastasia were both AMAZING and the Step Mother was good, but Cinderella and Drizella were both pretty horrible. Could have just been a bad night, but the food was just meh and I was just really unimpressed. 🤷‍♀️

TrojanUSC

Breakfast is fine at Chef Mickey's - hard to screw up breakfast food. Dinner there has to be one of the worst meals I've had anywhere, let alone at a Disney restaurant. Lots of frozen, defrosted food right off the Sysco truck.

Tusker is nice as it's a really nice atmosphere, unique food and the characters are in their Safari gear.

Chars0704

Original Poster
L
We did 1900 Park Fare on our last trip and I didn't book it again for our upcoming one....
Prince Charming and Anastasia were both AMAZING and the Step Mother was good, but Cinderella and Drizella were both pretty horrible. Could have just been a bad night, but the food was just meh and I was just really unimpressed. 🤷‍♀️
Ah poop that sucks

crawale

We are going to Disney in April with an almost 3 year old. When we went last year, she loved the character dining so we wanted to do it again. I have quite a few princess meals covered and would like 1 Mickey & the gang.

We went to Garden Grill before and didn’t enjoy the food so my husband refuses to go there again.

We are spending the day at AK but are staying at the WL so either isn’t a big deal for us.

Which one would you prefer? For character interaction and dining. More so the characters for her. I am really flip-flopping between the 2.

Thanks!
Food is horrible at Chef Mickey's. Atmosphere is loud and chaotic. Tusker House has better variety of food and characters are great - much better choice. A 3 year old might prefer Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh.

Chars0704

Original Poster
Food is horrible at Chef Mickey's. Atmosphere is loud and chaotic. Tusker House has better variety of food and characters are great - much better choice. A 3 year old might prefer Crystal Palace with Winnie the Pooh.
We are doing Pooh & Crystal Palace for a PPO breakfast (my husband enjoyed the breakfast last time we went). She’s really actually into the princesses right now. Cinderella and belle. We have booked already Artist Point & Cinderella’s Royal Table.

I may just do a non character meal.

Rasstuss

Can't comment on Tusker house but on our trip a few weeks ago we did both Chef Mickey and 1900 Park Fare. At Chef Mickey we weren't seated until 25 minutes after our ADR time and everything felt rushed. My wife and youngest were at the buffet when the characters came out and missed half of them although we talked to a handler and they did come back by. I overheard a cast member saying there was an issue washing silverware that had them 1/2 hour behind. The food left a lot to be desired as well, we were there for brunch. Overall it was something I'm glad we did for the experience but I wouldn't go back.

1900 Park Fare had much better food. We were there for dinner and the Prime Rib and a few of the pasta dishes were very good. I think the step sisters were the best character interaction we had the whole trip.

DisneyGigi

Tusker House is great. We used to always do Boma but the food at Tusker House is on the same level, not quite as much on buffet as Boma but still great-the characters are awesome here! They spend way more time with you than Chef Mickey’s. Chef Mickey’s food is not very good either as others have said.

slappy magoo

We routinely stay at Bay Lake Tower. When the kids were smaller we would make our first dinner and our last breakfast at Chef Mickey's. Now that they're older we still do a breakfast for the nostalgia factor but the food is at best passable (and that's a lot of money for "passable"). We wouldn't even consider a dinner because the food is so meh.

Tusker House has always been a win for us whatever the meal.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
The dinner food at Chef Mickey’s is bland, lunch lady garbage. Lower your expectations in that regard. I haven’t eaten at Tusker House for dinner. Either are fine for breakfast, though Tusker House is better.

Chars0704

Original Poster
The dinner food at Chef Mickey’s is bland, lunch lady garbage. Lower your expectations in that regard. I haven’t eaten at Tusker House for dinner. Either are fine for breakfast, though Tusker House is better.
Oh damn. Lol it’s that bad?

I think I’m just nervous because we hate the Garden Grill and a bunch of people say it’s really good.

Gitson Shiggles

There was me, that is Mickey, and my three droogs
Oh damn. Lol it’s that bad?

I think I’m just nervous because we hate the Garden Grill and a bunch of people say it’s really good.

It’s the worst dinner buffet on property, IMO. As you can tell, there are varying opinions on the food quality. As long as the character interaction and timing is good, you may be forgiving of the food. I can’t compare it to lunch/dinner at the Garden Grill though.

ninjaprincesst

Tusker house has better food, but typically the character interaction tends to be better at Chef Mickey's . I know you don't want all princesses but the 1900 Park Fare dinner is the best character meal we have been to.

Chars0704

Original Poster
Tusker house has better food, but typically the character interaction tends to be better at Chef Mickey's . I know you don't want all princesses but the 1900 Park Fare dinner is the best character meal we have been to.
I’d be open to it. My husband would be ok with it too if I show him this thread about peoples responses on chef Mickey’s 😂

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom