Turtle Talk With Crush Lip Synch

diz420

I am pretty sure I read that it was a cast member that does a voice, and a new program does the face of crush automaticly. The cast member can also move crush around the screen with a pointer.

GoofyMagic

Where at?

diz420 said:
I am pretty sure I read that it was a cast member that does a voice, and a new program does the face of crush automaticly. The cast member can also move crush around the screen with a pointer.

Where is this interactive Crush display?

brkgnews

It's in one of the rooms on the bottom level of SeaBase Alpha (The Living Seas Pavillion at EPCOT). I believe that it is in the room that used to house the robot submarine and the diving suits.

brkgnews

diz420 said:

Yup. Just read that Monday in a special biz section of the Orlando Sentinel.

foxfire

It's a CM who does the voice, and there are cameras in the room so "Crush" can see the audience. I'm not sure about Dory, as the last time I saw the show, it was just Crush.

dolbyman

I think the CM, that voices the crush cgi is, wearing a headgear (some sort of) .. or camera filmed ... a software interprets the spot movment and sends it to the cgi image machine

although ... when I did the disney-central version the lipsync was behind 1/3 sec or so :zipit:

SpenceMan01

We had a show similar to Turtle Talk at my first job (a place similar to Chuck E Cheese, then later bought out by CEC). The operator was in a room behind the dining room (where the show screens were). He used mice, joysticks, etc. to control the character's facial expressions, body movement, etc. There was a camera so that he could see people in the room, and wore a headset so that he could hear them. The headset had a microphone so that he could talk to the crowds. The operator spoke normally and it went through a software program to morph the voice into the 'uniform voice' of the character. By uniform voice, I mean no matter who is operating the show, the character's voice is the same. If this small budget show can have software that does that back in 1998, I'm sure Disney has the technology to do that today. My bets say that the operator of TT simply speaks into a mic and the software turns it into Crush's voice.

RonAnnArbor

Yup - the entire thing is run by computer - and its a wonderful new technology. What isn't wonderful is the hour long line of screaming children and angry parents waiting to get in using that completely disorganized queue system for that attraction. It is NOT totally awesome, dudes.

brkgnews

Yeah, the lines for that attracation are hella scary. I never thought I'd say this, but I think that one needs to be fastpass ONLY. At least during peak periods. There's too little capacity and too much demand for it to be a standby-friendly experience. Especially when "standby" means "piled up in the middle of the Living Seas main area." By its very nature, the show includes long periods (15 minutes or so) of not moving a single inch. Furthermore, there's absolutely NOTHING to do in the queue (no preshow, no displays, nothing to hold your attention while you wait).

Neptune

At Jekyll and Hyde's in NYC, they have a similiar effect to this, where when the staff speaks into a mic, the mounted animal head opens it's mouth and lip synchs. So, I'm guessing it's the same basic principle.

cheche

don't know how they do that! It's really awesome and i salute all the animators! by the way, i played turtle odyssey awhile ago and it was really cool!;)

rainfully

I'm pretty sure the voice is just a CM doing the voice. It has definitely sounded different in different shows I've seen.

And Dory's part is always the same... prerecorded by Ellen.

dolbyman

it's definately a CM's voice ... cause he's interacting 1:1 with the folks in the audience (can be seen in my high res turtle talk vid on D-C) :wave:

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
brkgnews said:
Yeah, the lines for that attracation are hella scary. I never thought I'd say this, but I think that one needs to be fastpass ONLY. At least during peak periods. There's too little capacity and too much demand for it to be a standby-friendly experience. Especially when "standby" means "piled up in the middle of the Living Seas main area." By its very nature, the show includes long periods (15 minutes or so) of not moving a single inch. Furthermore, there's absolutely NOTHING to do in the queue (no preshow, no displays, nothing to hold your attention while you wait).

That's a really good idea. The fastpass is essentially a ticket for a showing. They could actually do this for every show and completely eliminate standing in line for them. Of course, if a show isn't "sold out" right before starting you could walk right in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom