Pre-Trip Turning 50? ...take a solo WDW Trip!

OK....I read a lot of trip reports, but this is my first effort at writing one. I figured the pre-trip was a good start to get things going.

This November I reach 50 years on this crazy planet. The original idea was to take a quick family trip on the actual date and "wake up in the world". That part is not going to work for a series of reasons.
PhotoPass_Visiting_MK_7973389984.jpeg
DSC_0517.JPG

Firstly it falls on the Disney half marathon weekend and I am not willing to deal with all of that going on. My family consists of me, Jim, my wife of 22 years Mandy and our 14 year old daughter Mary.
We all live together in South Texas. We have been to WDW countless times since Mary was 4.
view

view

The next reason plans got a little messed up will sound odd since we live in Texas and are all native Texans. Mary made the travel ice hockey team. Yes I said Ice Hockey. She has been skating for 2 years and took the serious interest in hockey only a year ago. She has worked really hard and become pretty good with the level of experience she has. Anyway she decided to try out for the travel hockey league "for the experience". All of us including her did noth think it would happen this year but that it would be a great experience and she would be better prepared for the following year. As I already spoiled...she made the team.

Now of course we were thrilled with this, but it created some interesting challenges including her schedule for hockey practice and games, and the cost that we were not planning for. As a dad, and I am certain I speak for most of them, our kids and their happiness come first. I immediately dismissed the idea of my birthday trip once this all occured. I did so with no comment and no hurt at all, her hockey was more inmportant to me.

My wife asked eventually about the trip and we agreed we would "Let it go!" sorry had to throw in a Frozen reference since I have seen it 1001 times. Later my wife came back and said I should go alone. I had done this before when already in Florida on business, but never a trip solely around WDW on it's own solo. I politely dismissmed the idea.

Fast forward a few weeks and my wife somes back to me with the plans laid out but not made. I have an annual pass, so no new costs for the park, ok. She then had done some looking and I have enough air miles to fly out with no costs. Ok so far sounds great, but there is still a place to stay. She found a great deal with my AP on All Star Sports and the whole trip would be like $300.
I also am maxing out on vacation time at my job and need to take some or start losing hours so that ddi not hurt.

I decided to go for it and will be heading to WDW solo from November 12-16th. I decided to go during the week becuse I will not miss any hockey games that way. I am the strength and conditioning coach, but the kids will be happy not to have me for two practices. I made my fast passes and still got a lot of good ones considering we booked the trip already inside 60 days. I missed out on 7D but no problem if I dont ride it.

I Just got my Magic Band for the stay yesterday so now it is feeling pretty real. I plan to take notes and pcitures and take a shot at writing my first trip report about how it goes.

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
Happy Early Birthday! Hockey is a great sport, at least to watch. My trip has similar dates as you 11th to the 14th. I'm looking forward to getting in a little of the last days of Food and Wine and a Christmas part.

Jim Buck

Original Poster
Happy Early Birthday! Hockey is a great sport, at least to watch. My trip has similar dates as you 11th to the 14th. I'm looking forward to getting in a little of the last days of Food and Wine and a Christmas part.
Thanks! We enjoy hockey a lot, watching one of your own play adds a little more excitement as well. Hope you enjoy your trip as well. I am going to miss the last of food and wine, but I have done it many times. Lookeing forward to the Christmas part too!!

Jim Buck

Original Poster
Happy early B-day! I’ve done Disney solo before and there is something to be said for it.
Congratulations on your daughter making the traveling hockey team as well.
Thanks! My daughter is very excited with the season so far! Solo canbe fun for sure. I will enkoy it but there are times I want to turn around and ask them to head to a ride and forget they are not there. Then I remember I can jump on whatever I like!!

Jim Buck

Original Poster
Getting close and of course, I am fighting sinus issues from allergies. Well, here's hoping it gets under control before the trip. Better sick at work and home than once I leave for Disney!

I failed to lay out my plans above but they are simple. Arrive late Sunday night and head to Geyser Point at Wilderness Lodge for dinner and a drink. The next morning Monday is a Magic Kingdom day! Gotta start there for me. Tuesday is AK day, cannot wait for FOP FP!! Wednesday is EPCOT and Thursday is HS. I will definitely be hopping parks as well, I like to keep my plans a little looser when I am solo!

Longers

Found time to read your pre trip report!
Happy birthday and safe travels - you won’t be disappointed with FOP
Might see you around :)

Jim Buck

Original Poster
Today is the day! Could not sleep much and do not have a flight until 4:15. Up early and we have a hockey game again this morning at 9:30 and then back to make sure I have everything on the packing list and maybe catcha little pre-disney nap...but likely not. Feeling better on the sinus issues but still a little hanging on. Gotta pack all the meds just in case.

Minnesota disney fan

Following along. I'm always interested in solo trips, as I have never been brave enough to do one:)
We live in N. Mn. where ice hockey is a religion! They seriously start the kids on the ice when they can stand up, and have them pushing a chair on the ice. It is extremely competitive and very expensive up here.
I am thankful that my kids/ grandkids did not want to do hockey. Baseball, basketball is enough:)
Have a great trip and looking forward to your trip report.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
OK....I read a lot of trip reports, but this is my first effort at writing one. I figured the pre-trip was a good start to get things going.

This November I reach 50 years on this crazy planet. The original idea was to take a quick family trip on the actual date and "wake up in the world". That part is not going to work for a series of reasons.
View attachment 239619 View attachment 239620
Firstly it falls on the Disney half marathon weekend and I am not willing to deal with all of that going on. My family consists of me, Jim, my wife of 22 years Mandy and our 14 year old daughter Mary.
We all live together in South Texas. We have been to WDW countless times since Mary was 4.
view

view

The next reason plans got a little messed up will sound odd since we live in Texas and are all native Texans. Mary made the travel ice hockey team. Yes I said Ice Hockey. She has been skating for 2 years and took the serious interest in hockey only a year ago. She has worked really hard and become pretty good with the level of experience she has. Anyway she decided to try out for the travel hockey league "for the experience". All of us including her did noth think it would happen this year but that it would be a great experience and she would be better prepared for the following year. As I already spoiled...she made the team.

Now of course we were thrilled with this, but it created some interesting challenges including her schedule for hockey practice and games, and the cost that we were not planning for. As a dad, and I am certain I speak for most of them, our kids and their happiness come first. I immediately dismissed the idea of my birthday trip once this all occured. I did so with no comment and no hurt at all, her hockey was more inmportant to me.

My wife asked eventually about the trip and we agreed we would "Let it go!" sorry had to throw in a Frozen reference since I have seen it 1001 times. Later my wife came back and said I should go alone. I had done this before when already in Florida on business, but never a trip solely around WDW on it's own solo. I politely dismissmed the idea.

Fast forward a few weeks and my wife somes back to me with the plans laid out but not made. I have an annual pass, so no new costs for the park, ok. She then had done some looking and I have enough air miles to fly out with no costs. Ok so far sounds great, but there is still a place to stay. She found a great deal with my AP on All Star Sports and the whole trip would be like $300.
I also am maxing out on vacation time at my job and need to take some or start losing hours so that ddi not hurt.

I decided to go for it and will be heading to WDW solo from November 12-16th. I decided to go during the week becuse I will not miss any hockey games that way. I am the strength and conditioning coach, but the kids will be happy not to have me for two practices. I made my fast passes and still got a lot of good ones considering we booked the trip already inside 60 days. I missed out on 7D but no problem if I dont ride it.

I Just got my Magic Band for the stay yesterday so now it is feeling pretty real. I plan to take notes and pcitures and take a shot at writing my first trip report about how it goes.
Have fun!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom