TTC to Downtown Disney by bus?

figmentmom

We were at WDW 2 weeks ago, and in the past, we were always able to get a bus from the TTC directly to Downtown Disney. This year, we were told by a Disney employee that service was discontinued; we'd have to take a bus back to our resort, and then take another bus from there to DD. (That meant, of course, getting back across the lagoon and catching our resort bus there.) Is this information correct, or did I just ask the wrong person?

Invero

Originally posted by figmentmom
We were at WDW 2 weeks ago, and in the past, we were always able to get a bus from the TTC directly to Downtown Disney. This year, we were told by a Disney employee that service was discontinued; we'd have to take a bus back to our resort, and then take another bus from there to DD. (That meant, of course, getting back across the lagoon and catching our resort bus there.) Is this information correct, or did I just ask the wrong person?

That is completely correct. In the past, service was provided from the TTC because there was no direct bus from the MK Resorts, and they'd all have to come to the TTC to get the DTD bus. We have now changed it, so there is service from all the MK resorts all day long. Because of this, there was no longer a need to have a DTD bus at the TTC.

Personally... I see two sides to the issue... I see how Disney is looking at it... (and there are many inside issues to complicate it), and I see the guest's side... So, it's hard for me to say which side I agree with.

Bottom line, though... it all comes down to proper communication with the guests to avoid the confusion that you had to go through.

Upvote 0

Maria

I would agree with the one that takes less time to do it... It was always a hassle that took forever going to and from DTD... ;)

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

In that situation take the resort monorail one stop to the Polynesian, and the Get off there and wait for the bus. You don't have to go all the way back to your resort to get there.

Upvote 0

kal1484

During my spring break, I was there the first day that the bus was not avalible, none of the bus drivers knew about it....it was a hassle.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Original Poster
Thanks, Tyler! Information from you is always greatly appreciated.

Also, thanks, DisneyInsider...you'd think I would've thought of that myself...

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by wdwprincess03
During my spring break, I was there the first day that the bus was not avalible, none of the bus drivers knew about it....it was a hassle.
The person who created the changes (DTD and Fort Wilderness internals) was an outgoing manager... and as such... it appeared as if communicating the changes was not a priority. As a driver, we did not even get the new route changes to Fort Wilderness until the day OF the change. Not even the day before. So, unfortunetly, there was mass confusion that day. :veryconfu

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Actually, information was available to drivers several days in advance. However, most drivers chose to ignore it because they all think they know how to better run the transportation system than those who are paid to do it.

Thus if you got bad information, it wasn't a manager or Disney's fault. IT was a bus driver who failed to do his job either through ignorance or spite depending on who it was you encountered.

If there is one thing for certain at Disney, a significant portion of the Drivers hate change, don't keep theirselves up to date, and blame management for everything.

Think about how many times you have actually heard a Disney bus driver Spiel the important information about the bus trip you are taking and helpful details like bus stops, hours, and the like about your destination. This is supposed to be a requirement of the position but I bet most of you have seldom heard anything other than "THis is the Bus Stop" or "No entering through the backdoor".

While taking the monorail to the poly is one way to get to DTD, I would advise everyone to be careful about publicizing it. ONe of the major reasons the routes were changed at TTC is because of the number of Hotel Plaza and Off property guests using Disney transportation. Legitimate guests of the Magic Kingsdom resorts were having to wait through 2 or buses before they could actually get ona bus to go to DTD.

IF too many non-resort guests or guests from other Disney resorts begin to load the bus stops at the Contemporary, Poly, or Grand Floridian at peak times during the day (This is already starting to happen, especially at the POLY) , I can guarantee the guest that are actually staying in those hotels will begin to voice their complaints. If it continues to get worse in the summer, the result may be ID checks at those bus stops. First of all to make sure you are staying in a Disney resort and quite possibly that you are a registered guest of that resort in whose bus stop you are waiting.

The bus transportation is paid for by the resorts. Thus, if you stay in a Disney resort, you are paying bus fare in a sense. If you are an off property guest with a park hopper, you are only entitled to use busses that go between the parks. DownTown Disney is not a park and therefore transportation to or from parks to DTD is strictly a bonus for everyone.

Upvote 0

Invero

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
Actually, information was available to drivers several days in advance. However, most drivers chose to ignore it because they all think they know how to better run the transportation system than those who are paid to do it.
As someone who had that weekend off... the information was not communicated with enough advance notice. As a driver, I do keep myself informed, read all memos, ask questions when needed... and as such, I was aware of an upcoming change... On the Friday before... no one... NO ONE... was able to give me any information other than, "it's gonna change." No routes... no locations of loadzones... The management I asked didn't have the information, and neither did the Training department.

Originally posted by niteobsrvr
If there is one thing for certain at Disney, a significant portion of the Drivers hate change, don't keep theirselves up to date, and blame management for everything.
Perhaps... I do see a lot of drivers complaining about changes and so forth... perhaps if management took the time to give us a detailed explaination on WHY the change, they might understand it a little better.

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Thats kind of amazing Tyler becuase I know for a fact that maps and decriptions of the routes were available nearly two weeks in advance for Bus Transporation Cast Memebers.

As for management communicating change, I also know that Details appeared in the weekly bus news letter prior to implementation.

As an employee, I understand that everyone wants to know why something is happening. However, sometimes the "why" of things still may not make any sense to the employee or you get the reaction of "its always been this way. We don't need to change". I have been on both sides of this fence.

I have been told that I dont know how to best handle a change with a given situation because I don't work this or that job all day. In some cases this may be true. However, I must point out that many employees dont have enough management expereince nor all the facts involved in a decision to evaluate its merits either.

The only thing that can solve these problems is dialogue. But if neither side is willing to work together then the only choice left is unilateral decision making. The managers decide to do what they want and the employees decide to make it not work. However, management sually wins, because of the hierarchy in place in corporate America.

Upvote 0

figmentmom

Original Poster
I realize that Downtown Disney (the shopping area itself) is not considered a "park" as such...but isn't Pleasure Island considered a minor park? If so, seems to me that there should be a way of getting to the minor parks from the TTC without traveling back to your resort first.

Upvote 0

niteobsrvr

Pleasure Island isn't even considered a minor Park. If it was then transportation would only be available during the time that PI charges Admission. This would be after 9pm nightly which during most of the year is at or after closing time for the theme parks. Thus the only transportation available would be from resorts to DTD.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom