TTC-Epcot Monorail double bag check

cdd89

Original Poster
Hey all,

I can’t seem to find any recent (post-May) discussion on this topic.

Does anyone know if there are plans to bring the Monorail exit inside the secure area of Epcot, to avoid having to go through a bag check twice?

I assumed this would happen fairly quickly after the changes were effected, since literally everyone in the monorail has to go through two checks, but it seems not.

Thanks!

Clamman73

A simple solution would be to just reverse the ramp for entrance/exit...trying to think of a scenario where that would put a person coming off the monorail as unchecked...

Rider

The exit side isn't as large and modifying it to support waiting crowds would probably be difficult. Also now the people going to TTC and Magic Kingdom would be unscreened.

It would be easier to just build a new exit ramp over the security checkpoint.

Or add a new screening area for the buses and build a fence to separate monorail guests from the tram area.

Last edited:

cdd89

Original Poster
I spent a bit of time wandering around thinking about it. Switching the ramps intuitively makes sense, but would result in “insecure” people arriving inside the TTC secure area.

As I see it, the options are:

1) Use the same ramp for entry and exit, or send able-bodied people down the emergency exit stairs on the exit side (which come out onto the secure area). Neither probable due to crowd management, I expect.

2) Use security guards and tensabarriers to temporarily block the cross flow and guide people from the monorail exit into the secure area. (Think MCO Airport’s Terminal B arrangements for Airside 4 Arrivals).

3) Extend the fencing so it surrounded the monorail exit. Disadvantage of meaning the tram queuing area would be a bit more cramped. Also bus arrivals would need a new security checkpoint, or a new walkway constructed to go left of the monorail exit.

4) Reconstruct the “bridge”/ramp so it goes over the fencing and into the secure area. (Clearly not going to happen!).

Last edited:

Mickey5150

This is just a perfect example of how utterly stupid Disney is when it comes to running efficient operations. It's also terrible Guest service forcing us to have to be re-screened again after boarding at the resort. Someone really should have been fired over this idiciocy
As has been said, there are plans as part of the Epcot rebuild project. Yes it's an inconvenience now but Disney is working to fix it, relax.

thomas998

Hey all,

I can’t seem to find any recent (post-May) discussion on this topic.

Does anyone know if there are plans to bring the Monorail exit inside the secure area of Epcot, to avoid having to go through a bag check twice?

I assumed this would happen fairly quickly after the changes were effected, since literally everyone in the monorail has to go through two checks, but it seems not.

Thanks!
Having watched the way the security works at some of the monorail access points. If security is what they are after they shouldn't assume anyone on the monorail has been vetted if they really are doing this in response to a true threat. Last time we were there I notice that if you wanted to get something smuggled into MK the easiest way to do it would be to go through the Contemporary hotel and take it on a Monorail. Unlike most security points the one for entry to the monorail in that hotel was an absolute joke.

2 security guys doing the bag checks with a completely open side where anyone from the hotel could have easily passed a bag, gun, whatever to someone that had gone through the security check before they were past a point that couldn't be accessed by someone unchecked. In most areas you pass through a central point that once past you are physically separated from the non-checked people, but in Contemporary the only barrier between someone that has just gotten check and the rest of the public is a velvet rope at one point which allows passing of contraband to anyone that wants to. I don't know if it is because they feel the people staying there pay a premium and don't want to hassle them as much as others but their vigilance was markedly lower in that hotel than anywhere else I had seen.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom