Tropical Storm ERIKA to bring possible severe weather to Central Florida early next week

Tony the Tigger

I'm in South Florida, too. Originally our trip was supposed to be for my birthday on August 31 – which is now the day it's supposed to hit LOL. So glad we changed our trip to our anniversary the following week!

jrlang1

Eleven year old hurrican video? Eleven year old hurricane video.

This was my experiences of Hurricane Charley. Never edited the Frances or the Jean stuff.

I spent this storm at the parks as well. We were staying at Fort Wilderness Campground. The day before the storm we got a letter on our camper door that they were going to evacuate the campground. We were moved for the next several days to 2 rooms at Port Orleans. I was really impress at the speed they cleaned up the parks. When are were allowed to move back to the camp ground after the trees got cleaned up you could hardly reconoze the campground due to all of the trees that fell. We were given a second nice letter on our camper our first night back with all of the makings for smoores. I can still remember hanging out in the hot tubs at Port Orleans with off duty cast members that still didn't have their power yet at their homes.

PhotoDave219

i take it that they came through and removed the trashcans before the storm actually hit, right? that would hurt getting smacked with

I believe so. They've got a checklist. As you see in the video, they tied everything down.

There really isn't anything to worry about - within reason. The odds of hurricane force winds reaching that far inland are slim. Tropical Storm winds are another matter, of course. With Orlando being so far inland, Rain & flooding is a greater concern than wind damage.

Also, all of the Disney resorts are made of concrete and steel and Thats what I prefer around me in a hurricane.....

jrlang1

I believe so. They've got a checklist. As you see in the video, they tied everything down.

There really isn't anything to worry about - within reason. The odds of hurricane force winds reaching that far inland are slim. Tropical Storm winds are another matter, of course. With Orlando being so far inland, Rain & flooding is a greater concern than wind damage.

Also, all of the Disney resorts are made of concrete and steel and Thats what I prefer around me in a hurricane.....
Some of the cast members I hung out with were on the hurrican crew. There are cast members that are pre staged at the resort, so when the storm ends they can start the cleanup as soon as the condition allow. It was all very impressive to watch. The camp ground was a different case. This was before they removed the vines so the trees were all weighed down and roted.

JennSmith

I know, I know this is literally 23 years ago almost to the date, but we were there for Hurricane Andrew. If I remember correctly it made landfall and did some pretty hefty damage to Miami. I remember a lot of the hotels around us were like boarding up windows and stuff, (we were off property). My mom went to MK that day and I was like "nope, see ya". It was literally the best day weather wise. I sat out by the pool the entire time and she said the crowds were so low at the park that she practically walked on to almost every ride. Like I said, this was a long tome ago and I was only like 16ish, but that's my memory of it.

bunnyman

This was my experiences of Hurricane Charley. Never edited the Frances or the Jean stuff.

Hey, I'm probably in that video. We had breakfast in Cinderella's castle, then spent time in Fantasyland before they told us to leave. Then workers came out of everywhere to take in garbage cans, tables, etc. Eerie to see tape on all the Main Street windows and sand bags. Loved the free return ticket though. Back to Wilderness lodge for lobby activities and characters. We still have the flashlight the handed out to each room when they told us to take in our balcony furniture,

D

dixielandings

Really enjoy watching this video, very unique perspective. If you have any other videos to post from your hurricane experiences, please do share!

polynesiangirl

Fingers crossed. I care not at all about rain or getting wet, but it would be a bummer to have a cancelled flight or, you know, experience actual storm damage/danger. Here's hoping it blows away to the east and doesn't bother anyone, in Florida or otherwise.

PhotoDave219

Hey, I'm probably in that video. We had breakfast in Cinderella's castle, then spent time in Fantasyland before they told us to leave. Then workers came out of everywhere to take in garbage cans, tables, etc. Eerie to see tape on all the Main Street windows and sand bags. Loved the free return ticket though. Back to Wilderness lodge for lobby activities and characters. We still have the flashlight the handed out to each room when they told us to take in our balcony furniture,

I actually tried to do a walk up for breakfast at Cindy's. I was told they were all filled up. Everything in that park was a walk on that morning except for fantasyland.

msteel

As disorganized as Erika is it looks like the center is hard to pinpoint, but it looks like the storm passed basically over the house where I lived in 1989 and ride out Hugo, which was a category 4 at the time.

Tonka's Skipper

@wdwmagic Can you post an updated storm track map, or a link to where to find them? Thanks

Here you go!

http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/atlantic/2015/tropical-storm-Erika

at201505.gif

at201505_5day.gif

AKK

TP2000

I lived in South Carolina during the Hurricane Hugo era. I remember how miserable the climate in the South can be this time of year, and how scary this time of year was. I hope everyone in Orlando, CM's and visitors, stays safe and the damage to the parks is kept to a minimum.

If the storm turns the wrong way, I can only imagine how many WDW tourists may have vacations massively disturbed, or ruined, by this time next week. Yikes. :(

rsoxguy

South Floridian here. Our news services are speaking of this storm constantly, and the latest news involves the fact that this storm needs to make it past Hispaniola. They are saying that the current forecast track is still uncertain because of the mountainous terrain and wind shear that this storm will face today. The details regarding strength and path for this TS will likely change by tomorrow. Stay tuned...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom