Tron might finally beat Narnia

Timothy W.

Original Poster
Tron is now sitting at 373 million worldwide, while Narnia 3 is at 375 million. Now Tron cannot touch Narnia 1 with 750 million or Narnia 2 with 465 million. I bring these numbers up to relate the attraction rumors for Tron. If Disney dropped Narnia with such greater numbers in audience and money than Tron - I cannot see how Disney would throw more money at Tron for another film let alone an attraction. The merchandise theory could help Tron - but Narnia action figures have out sold Trons so far, but Narnia does not have a strong clothing line or other Tron gadgets. The other arguement is Disney has to split the bill with Walden Media for Narnia while Tron is all in house. I feel WDW is in much more need of Narnia type themes to compete with Potter and compliment AK than Tron's futuristic feel.

zooey

Disney bowed out of the Narnia franchise. Why would they even consider giving it a theme park presence (besides the long over-stayed its welcome Prince Caspian thing at DHS), especially since they'd have to buy back into the franchise to use any characters seen in the 3rd and on films? Nonsense.

Ignohippo

This is a perfect example of a fanboi pushing an agenda without looking at the facts. Give it up. Narnia no longer has anything to do with Disney. It's over. :brick:

As for Tron, the jury's still out. We'll see how it does on home video as well as what the end result is on it's box office (it only opened in some international markets, including china, a few weeks ago).

I think you have to look at other factors as well. Merchandise is incredibly strong, home video probably will be as well. Also, the next film (if made) will be dramatically cheaper to produce and could have a broader appeal because it will occur in the real world as opposed to the cgi Tron world.

I'm also a bit confused as to how Narnia and Tron have done comparable numbers domestically. I try not to cloud my overall judgement by only my own personal experiences, but it seems like everyone I talk to has seen Tron whereas no one I talk to cares anything at all about Narnia. There just hasn't been any buzz about Narnia at all. Narnia just seems to be a dying franchise. At least with Tron, there are infinite possibilities to where it could go. They can easily make drastic changes to Tron to make it a success. Narnia is what it is.

darthspielberg

Narnia isn't a dying franchise though. It's just not popular in the states. It's HUGE overseas.

Disney shouldn't be doing Narnia things though, especially since their last involvment in the franchise was in 2008. Tron may not be a huge box office destroyer, but Disney will always own Tron, so an attraction wouldn't be unthinkable.

Crazy Harry

This is a perfect example of a fanboi pushing an agenda without looking at the facts. Give it up. Narnia no longer has anything to do with Disney. It's over. :brick:

As for Tron, the jury's still out. We'll see how it does on home video as well as what the end result is on it's box office (it only opened in some international markets, including china, a few weeks ago).

I think you have to look at other factors as well. Merchandise is incredibly strong, home video probably will be as well. Also, the next film (if made) will be dramatically cheaper to produce and could have a broader appeal because it will occur in the real world as opposed to the cgi Tron world.

I'm also a bit confused as to how Narnia and Tron have done comparable numbers domestically. I try not to cloud my overall judgement by only my own personal experiences, but it seems like everyone I talk to has seen Tron whereas no one I talk to cares anything at all about Narnia. There just hasn't been any buzz about Narnia at all. Narnia just seems to be a dying franchise. At least with Tron, there are infinite possibilities to where it could go. They can easily make drastic changes to Tron to make it a success. Narnia is what it is.

And where are you getting this info? :shrug: You realize that is the whole point of the series right? You have no movie without the computer world. Now, I think what is lost on people is that Tron actually did really well considering the genre and considering it is a sequel to a 28 year old movie. The problem is that they spent way too much movie. If they had cut the budget down 40 or 50 million (whether this is feasible or not I don't know, purely hypothetical), then I think there would be no question that it would get the sequel at least.

Captain Chaos

I think they spent so much money advertising BECAUSE it is a sequel to a 28 year old movie... They may have been better off just calling it a reboot, not a sequel, and starting over... May have captured more of an audience... Or the 373 million worldwide would look more huge if marketing costs were kept down...

Regardless, I think Tron Legacy was a success... And I think a sequel to Legacy would do just fine... They wouldn't have to market the holy crap out of it, thus increasing or making a nice profit from it...

Oh, and the game Tron: Evolution, is a fun game... Online play is so much better than the story mode game though... I have been playing it nightly since picking it up....

WDW1974

Tron hasn't even recouped its costs domestically yet. It opened softly in markets overseas where Disney had high hopes and its merchandise most definitely has not been a big seller.

But this has nothing to do with Narnia. Disney dumped it and they want no part of it anymore.

This isn't like say UNI loving having Spidey and Hulk in its parks.

flavious27

Narnia isn't a dying franchise though. It's just not popular in the states. It's HUGE overseas.

Disney shouldn't be doing Narnia things though, especially since their last involvment in the franchise was in 2008. Tron may not be a huge box office destroyer, but Disney will always own Tron, so an attraction wouldn't be unthinkable.

The Chronicles of Narnia:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

745 mil

Prince Caspian

419 mil

The Voyage of the Dawn Treader

376 mil

How is this not dying?

captainkidd

I think Troniacs need to give up on another sequel. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if Disney went there. They tend to make sequels to movies that are sure-fire hits. Doesn't always work, but that's the general rule of thumb. To make another Tron movie with the same sort of special effects as Legacy, is too much of a gamble price tag wise.

jDoor

Banned
Tron hasn't even recouped its costs domestically yet.

yes it has.....

and according to multiple movie news sources on the net, Disney has already greenlit a 3rd tron movie.

oh, and Narnia sucks... thats why disney dumped it... it sucked after the first film...

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I've read that Disney is awaiting the results of DVD and Blu-ray sales before finally making a decision on TRON:3 being greenlit....:shrug:

CJR

Disney dumped Narnia because they didn't get as good of a deal with Prince Caspian as they did with The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and Prince Caspian ended up doing much worse. Disney knew that there would be a downward trend (as the books have) and decided it would not be in their best interest to continue with the series. They still hold the rights to the first two movies, hence why the Prince Caspian attraction is still there.

Disney still could put a Narnia attraction in the parks, just like they put an American Idol attraction in the parks, which is also owned by Fox. There's really no telling what Disney will or won't do. That said, I don't see Narnia having any more presence than it currently does in the parks. I don't think Disney hates Narnia, but they have plenty of their own and newer ideas to go in, Tron being one of them.

Is Tron as powerful as Narnia? I don't think so. Otherwise, Tron would have outgrossed the first one. No matter what, The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe will always be a classic (and successful blockbuster) film. Tron can be recognized as a hit, but I don't think it'll ever reach blockbuster level like the first Narnia or the Pirates series has.

Don't get me wrong, Tron's a great series, but the money in terms of box office gross just isn't at those levels. I do think we'll see a Tron attraction before we'll ever see a Narnia ride. The reason is that it'll be far more easier to do Tron and unlike Narnia, Disney is on board for more films which will keep the attraction popular.

If Disney did it right, they could make a timeless Narnia attraction just like The Haunted Mansion or Tower of Terror are considered timeless. I don't think it's a investment worth risking since Disney has little to no stake in the future releases. If anything, they might participate with Fox in a boxset or something, but nothing more.

jt04

745 mil

Prince Caspian

419 mil

376 mil

How is this not dying?

The box office take mirrors the quality of each films rating as evidenced by its RT ratings. I am refering to the avarage user rating and not the critics ratings who are predisposed to needing to find fault with the genre. If it does not advance "progressive" group think, in general, they will pan it. But that movement is transparent and bankrupt. Quite literally too.

It will do fine with DVD/VoD sales. And if they put the quality of the first film or even better in future movies than the box office will reflect that. That this series has deliberately been undermined is obvious. However, there is still a chance to redeem the franchise.

And of course, even with the weaknesses of the latest film it has still done quite respectable box office*. This is a trend developing in the entertainment industry that won't be stopped. Heh. :king:

* as opposed to something like Tangled for instance.

darthspielberg

745 mil

Prince Caspian

419 mil

376 mil

How is this not dying?

It'd be dying if it didn't make back it's budget, but all three films have done so in spades. The latest one cost less than 200 Million (a rare feat for a blockbuster in this day and age) and made almost 400 Million? That's not "death"

If the film made 20 Million at the box office and cost 200 million, then it'd be dead.

Disney has very high standards when it comes to what they want in a film's box office. Narnia didn't meet that, so it was offered to someone else. Tron may not meet it either, but they shoved so much into its marketing and promotion that they may try and get one more film out of it. Hope they get a real script this time, and not just a flashy light show hosted by Jeff Bridges.

flavious27

It'd be dying if it didn't make back it's budget, but all three films have done so in spades. The latest one cost less than 200 Million (a rare feat for a blockbuster in this day and age) and made almost 400 Million? That's not "death"

If the film made 20 Million at the box office and cost 200 million, then it'd be dead.

Disney has very high standards when it comes to what they want in a film's box office. Narnia didn't meet that, so it was offered to someone else. Tron may not meet it either, but they shoved so much into its marketing and promotion that they may try and get one more film out of it. Hope they get a real script this time, and not just a flashy light show hosted by Jeff Bridges.

It has grossed 376 mil but the amount sony has actually made is much less after the production, post production, and marketing costs along with walden and the theaters getting their cut. The series has been earning less and less, that is why it is dying.

lebeau

and according to multiple movie news sources on the net, Disney has already greenlit a 3rd tron movie.

Either you read wrong or your sources were misinformed.

Tron 3 has not been greenlit. They did some script development but that was before Legacy was released.

Disney is indeed taking a wait-and-see attitude towards another live-action Tron film. Those DVD/BluRay sales better be good!

flavious27

It will do fine with DVD/VoD sales. And if they put the quality of the first film or even better in future movies than the box office will reflect that. That this series has deliberately been undermined is obvious. However, there is still a chance to redeem the franchise.

The home sales of prince was 78 mil, compared to 352 mil for the lion, witch and Wardrobe. With the box office being less with dawn treader, it is doubtful more people are going to buy more dvds and blu rays.

lebeau

It has grossed 376 mil but the amount sony has actually made is much less after the production, post production, and marketing costs along with walden and the theaters getting their cut. The series has been earning less and less, that is why it is dying.

True chiz.

(My girls are watching too much iCarly I fear. It's rubbing off on me.)

draybook

Narnia is weak. It came out at the wrong time. The whole fantasy/LOTR/medieval thing is done. Now it's all about superhero movies and other stuff. I was ok with the first but they got crappier after that.

I'll always love Tron and I'm waiting on the next one.

disneyWX

A bit off topic, but...

FYI for those that haven't heard - Tron 1982 is being re-released on April 5 with Tron Legacy!!! I KNEW Disney would do it, and a day after my birthday too! SUPERB timing! :sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom