News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

No Name

It's the same ride as SDL, so we know how it works.

That being said, I think people are often very extreme in their labeling of rides when they say things like "embarrassingly low". No, Tron is not a high capacity Omnimover taking on over 2000 people an hour, but it something like 1400-1500/hour. Not great, but pretty decent for a roller coaster. ROTR has a similar capacity as well (and I think it's ideal if it was working smoothly is supposed to be closer to 1800/hr) and gets bemoaned as have bad capacity. I think it is understandable that many new rides will fall in that range if they want to do more unique experiences and ride vehicles.

"Embarrassingly low" to me would be something like sub-1000/hr.
tron is like 1600- 1700 per hour, not bad, about the same as hagrids. Pirates is 3400, its one of the if not the highest capacity rides. Indiana Jones is 2400 per hour.
This is theoretical but in Shanghai they have trouble getting people loaded in time, so it’s more like a little over 1000 an hour.

EricsBiscuit

There is nothing interesting about Shanghai once you get over pirates. It’s modern Disney blah at its worst. I’ve never seen so much concrete in my life. Comparing SHDL to the masterpiece that is Parc Disneyland is a crime. Baxter went to work… Bob weis should have taken more notes. There is no more beautiful castle park on the planet than the one outside of Paris.
I couldn’t disagree more. It’s a fantastic park with excellent theming (the only land that needs help is TL). As someone who has been to both DLP and SDL, DLP is the better park. But, SDL is still a tom of fun.

BaymaxFan

What portion of park goers will/have also visited those other counties rendering cloning a problem?
I wish they'd give us more of the features they have in other parts of the world.
Bring us the Nautilus!
That's not the issue. The issue is the other parks for the most part are not as busy as ours. They don't need super high capacity attractions like we do.

Jones14

This is theoretical but in Shanghai they have trouble getting people loaded in time, so it’s more like a little over 1000 an hour.
I could see that being less of a problem here in the US, particularly since Flight of Passage has a similar seating process. Ops in Florida is also pretty good about getting people moving, although they’ll have to be on top of the test seat -> back row seating if they want to keep dispatches up.

JoeCamel

I could see that being less of a problem here in the US, particularly since Flight of Passage has a similar seating process. Ops in Florida is also pretty good about getting people moving, although they’ll have to be on top of the test seat -> back row seating if they want to keep dispatches up.
Chappie is issuing the cattle prods as we post

jaxonp

I couldn’t disagree more. It’s a fantastic park with excellent theming (the only land that needs help is TL). As someone who has been to both DLP and SDL, DLP is the better park. But, SDL is still a tom of fun.

ehhh Tomorrowland is one of the more complete lands. Fantasyland, Disney’s bread and butter, is a complete mess that feels like it goes on for days in the same muted town of brown. To make things worse, I’m pretty sure this was the first castle park built without a proper berm so you can see, Shanghai in all it’s power line glory, at anytime if you look up.

DonaldDoleWhip

So after a bit of downtime, just got off VelociCoaster for the first time. Arrived too late for Hagrid’s, but hopefully tomorrow.

Fantastic coaster, and genuinely scary - haven’t screamed like that in a long time.

It’s also a ride that absolutely does not belong in the Magic Kingdom.

For me (considering its placement in MK), Tron is the right combo of exhilarating, aesthetically pleasing, and simple. It’ll be a really cool experience for most, without causing any actual heart attacks. Could be longer, but it’ll still be a great addition.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Following up on the Universal update, rode Hagrid’s this morning (twice!) - also a truly great attraction, and one Universal should be very proud of. Purely based on ride experience, it’s now my favorite of the Wizarding World’s lineup.

That said, neither coaster at Universal makes me like Tron less. Tron might not bring the thrills of VelociCoaster (totally fine with that) or the complexity of Hagrid’s, but it’s sleek, fast, and cool. It’s going to be a great addition to MK.

celluloid

Following up on the Universal update, rode Hagrid’s this morning (twice!) - also a truly great attraction, and one Universal should be very proud of. Purely based on ride experience, it’s now my favorite of the Wizarding World’s lineup.

That said, neither coaster at Universal makes me like Tron less. Tron might not bring the thrills of VelociCoaster (totally fine with that) or the complexity of Hagrid’s, but it’s sleek, fast, and cool. It’s going to be a great addition to MK.

The fact that it has taken Disney longer than it took Universal to build both the the complexity and theming of Hagrids, as well as the thrills of Velocicoaster,(and still waiting six months or more) I would say that just about any new addition would be welcome to MK.

DonaldDoleWhip

The fact that it has taken Disney longer than it took Universal to build both the the complexity and theming of Hagrids, as well as the thrills of Velocicoaster,(and still waiting six months or more) I would say that just about any new addition would be welcome to MK.
It’s like everyone has already forgotten the last 1.5 years, but that context still matters. We’ll have it within 12 months.

Also, if just about any new addition would be welcome, why is everyone trashing it for not matching up?

I’m just happy it’s really fun and coming soon enough. Universal’s accomplishments don’t diminish that.

celluloid

It’s like everyone has already forgotten the last 1.5 years, but that context still matters. We’ll have it within 12 months.

Also, if just about any new addition would be welcome, why is everyone trashing it for not matching up?

I’m just happy it’s really fun and coming soon enough. Universal’s accomplishments don’t diminish that.

Leave out Universal's accomplishments if you would like.

Disney is still in the state of giving hungry people chicken and calling it a steak. As with anything, they are their own competition. It is hard to give it any sort of pass on the standards the company once was at with the pandemic when construction began at the start of the year in 2018. Over two years before the pandemic was halting any major work. A cloned coaster that began two years before the pandemic. A year still possibly away now that things have resumed for awhile. More than 1,000days (three years)without the Walt Disney Railroad.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Leave out Universal's accomplishments if you would like.

Disney is still in the state of giving hungry people chicken and calling it a steak. As with anything, they are their own competition. It is hard to give it any sort of pass on the standards the company once was at with the pandemic when construction began at the start of the year in 2018. Over two years before the pandemic was halting any major work. A cloned coaster that began two years before the pandemic. A year still possibly away now that things have resumed for awhile. More than 1,000(that will be three years) days without the Walt Disney Railroad.
Fair enough to hold that opinion, but I would have expected a project like this to take ~3 years.

The pandemic delay (including all its complications, from hiring to worker distancing to the general state of P&L statements) seems reasonable enough to me.

Of course it’s disappointing how things have unfolded, but at least it’s almost here, and I expect most will really enjoy Tron for what it is.

TrainsOfDisney

Fair enough to hold that opinion, but I would have expected a project like this to take ~3 years.
Why would you expect a cloned coaster in a largely unthemed warehouse building to take 3 years?

Disneyland was able to reroute a railroad and a river, build a large scale mountain range with waterfalls, bridges, drawbridge for fantasmic, multiple animatronics, etc. in a year and 1/2.

TrainsOfDisney

When the coaster was announced almost no design work had been done. How long would it take you to just read a couple thousand pages, much less review and modify them all?
Huh? I’m not talking about announced. I’m talking about when construction started.

And I don’t build theme park attractions but universal seems to know how to build them in less than 3 years so maybe ask them.

lazyboy97o

Huh? I’m not talking about announced. I’m talking about when construction started.

And I don’t build theme park attractions but universal seems to know how to build them in less than 3 years so maybe ask them.
That three years it would take included a lot of design time. How Disney and Universal approach building is also different. There are plenty of examples of Disney projects taking too long but TRON isn’t really one of them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom