News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

celluloid

TRON is a perfect fit for the MK precisely because it will be more accessible to younger families and has a compelling ride system. Perfect interim coaster for the largest audience which is the MKs core clientele.

Similar to how IoAs coasters are geared to an older audience.

At Epic Universe they are building a coaster in the HTTYD Land that skews younger because that is the audience for the franchise. Specifically younger families.

Know your audience, as the saying goes.

Tron falls between the raptor coaster and the proposed Dragon coaster. Again, just right for the MK. IMO.

This would be true if it was not a 48 inch height requirement in a thrilling prone position. Slinky Dog is closer to what you are describing.
You make it sound like IOA has a ton of thrill coasters that are not as accessible. Hagrid is about as thrilling as Tron will be with the same height requirement and a longer duration and more theming.
Velocicoaster and Hulk are the only two intense tall height requirement coasters to appeal to that audience and for a bonus thrill supporting role you have Doctor Doom.

Last edited:

Bocabear

TRON is a perfect fit for the MK precisely because it will be more accessible to younger families and has a compelling ride system. Perfect interim coaster for the largest audience which is the MKs core clientele.

Similar to how IoAs coasters are geared to an older audience.

At Epic Universe they are building a coaster in the HTTYD Land that skews younger because that is the audience for the franchise. Specifically younger families.

Know your audience, as the saying goes.

Tron falls between the raptor coaster and the proposed Dragon coaster. Again, just right for the MK. IMO.
The thing is, it may be an interim coaster in speed, but the ride system is not at all...the ride system implies serious thrill coaster...not interim young families... If you were talking about 7 Dwarves, I would agree, but having experienced TRON in Shanghai, It is daunting and scary for young families...now the thrills on the ride don't equal how it looks...but the looks make the decision for most.
TRON would have been a great fit for EPCOT where Guardians is, but with an expanded footprint and longer ride.
Guardians would have been a perfect fit for DHS...
But TRON is not the best for for MK at all.

doctornick

That is the issue with Tron in a nutshell. It is not good enough to be an amazing coaster for the thrill fans on its own, and it is not groundbreaking or themed enough to exceed the Disney quality from previous attractions such as Tower of Terror, RocknRollercoaster or even Space Mountain originated right next door for the fans of those unique experiences.
It falls lackluster in both standards.

I haven't been on Tron, but from the ride through videos, it looks like a superior attraction to RNR to me. And I think if that ride has been fine and accepted in Disney parks, no reason why Tron would be a problem at all.

I actually think that RNR is the perfect comp to Tron in that it is a somewhat more thrilling option than existing rides at the parks without being so out of whack to turn off the typical Disney fanbase. RNR has the added thrill of the inversion, but similar run time as Tron and IMHO inferior theming to Tron (and the rider positioning for Tron is more unique). Tron also adds to the ambiance of the area with the canopy and lights and kinetics of the vehicles running outside.

To me, Tron allows for a nice compromise so teenage Billy can enjoy it while his little sister Annie is riding Little Mermaid and meeting princesses. It expands the breadth of attractions in MK to satisfy a bit more diverse fanbase. No, it's never going to appeal to hardcore coaster enthusiasts, but it's certainly provides some elements not already present at MK.

I understand the criticism of the obvious gravity building and concerns about capacity, but I really don't get people who think that Tron as a ride is a poor fit for MK or WDW in general. I expect it to be extremely popular and well received among a large subset of people who go to Disney parks.

Bocabear

I am positive it will be a big hit...Any coaster built in any Disney park will be a big hit...
I feel like the location is a bit of a problem It doesn't fit into it's location...and they are doing nothing to integrate the style into the rest of the land. To me, the style of the building fits more of that futurist vibe like EPCOT...
Tron is by no means a terrible ride...It just might have fit someplace else better...

doctornick

Put ENCOM on the side of the giant blue cube! I beg of you! Make it an ENCOM tech expo building!

Agreed. It seems like the simple solution to the sightline issues with the Tron showbuilding is to actually theme it in some way; ideally it would be in a manner harmonious with the rest of TL (and tolerable when seen from the circus) but at least make it Encom themed as a building they own.

owlsandcoffee

Put ENCOM on the side of the giant blue cube! I beg of you! Make it an ENCOM tech expo building!

That was my thought too. You could do something similar to the old IBM offices too.

Attachments

• 35365cef8807cf0a7059e3c1c24b0847.jpg
    35365cef8807cf0a7059e3c1c24b0847.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 140

EricsBiscuit

Am I the only person who thinks a huge e ticket like Trom USS the perfect fit for MK? Anyways, I think it’s ridiculous they’ve taken so darn long to build it. Uni makes Disney look incompetent at every turn. In the time it has takes Disney to finish 1 coaster Uni will have built 2 fantastic and unique coasters.

cookiee_munster

I am positive it will be a big hit...Any coaster built in any Disney park will be a big hit...
I feel like the location is a bit of a problem It doesn't fit into it's location...and they are doing nothing to integrate the style into the rest of the land. To me, the style of the building fits more of that futurist vibe like EPCOT...
Tron is by no means a terrible ride...It just might have fit someplace else better...
I'd like to think that eventually, hopefully, hesitantly that maybe... TRON's canopy design and the overall aesthetic is integrated into the rest of Tomorrowland. But I'm not going to hold my breath.

TrainsOfDisney

Am I the only person who thinks a huge e ticket like Trom USS the perfect fit for MK? Anyways, I think it’s ridiculous they’ve taken so darn long to build it. Uni makes Disney look incompetent at every turn. In the time it has takes Disney to finish 1 coaster Uni will have built 2 fantastic and unique coasters.
I don’t think tron is a huge e ticket.

Bocabear

Actually there is a sort of story, but my Mandarin is not good enough to really figure it out... You are players on a team being sent into the game grid against another team...something something something, says the blue eyed Asian lady on the screen... It is very slick and beautiful, but it should have done more and been longer. People will see it as an E ticket...Especially if they improve the Queue a bit over the one in Shanghai,...

ppete1975

I don't see how it's anything more than a D unless someone considers any type of thrill ride an automatic E. It's short, doesn't have a story, and is very lightly themed overall.
if we still had ticket books it would be an E ticket... isnt that we used to base that on..
remember Submarine Voyage, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and Disneyland–Alweg Monorail the Santa Fe & Disneyland Railroad, Rocket to the Moon, Rainbow Ridge Pack Mules, Rainbow Mountain Stage Coaches, Mark Twain Riverboat, Sailing Ship Columbia, Rafts to Tom Sawyer Island, and Jungle Cruise were all E tickets.

now i know that term has changed in what it means but a new attraction that isnt a spinner id assume to be an e at this point

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom