News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Purduevian

I think it takes longer than a 66 seconds to load the trains... more like 4-5 minutes per train with the complex harnessing system... It is fast, but not that fast and takes a bit of time to get everyone in ... So with Dual stations loading it would be about 2.5 minutes per launch theoretically...
I literally linked a video that shows a 66 second dispatch between trains at a single station... Where did you get 4-5 minutes??

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
4A9EBF7D-269E-4199-8D73-7B6B993559F5.jpeg

SplashJacket

I think it takes longer than a 66 seconds to load the trains... more like 4-5 minutes per train with the complex harnessing system... It is fast, but not that fast and takes a bit of time to get everyone in ... So with Dual stations loading it would be about 2.5 minutes per launch theoretically...
That is completely false.

SilentWindODoom

1. They don't want to pay for the cost of construction for the quarters they're barely breaking even.

2. MK is already overcrowded and will be more so for the 50th.

3. The opening of TRON can be used to beef up attendance in the post-holiday lull.

Why... does the question... of why they're delaying keep coming up? They're finishing stuff that's farther along and saving on the costs until later so it doesn't affect current earnings. The addition is not going to add anything but prestige. The parks are going to fill up when things get better no matter what because many haven't gone for a year and a half. If they finish now, it will just make their earning reports look worse and won't mean more people coming. It's already going to be saturated.

Aw, that arcade wasn’t THAT bad was it?

I’m terribly biased. During my CP, one night after the ridiculous rush of working 14 hour days during spring break, they threw an after hours pizza party for my restaurant at that arcade. Anyone who worked with us at Pecos was able to come, and we had 2 hours of unlimited gaming and pizza at like 2 in the morning. It was such a wonderful memory that my friends and I still talk about to this day. If they did trash the arcade, I hope they still have in park after hours events to celebrate Cast Member’s hard work during busy seasons.

I think it's a shame how it's being used now, but I think it's an interesting building and that it makes Space Mountain look even bigger by hiding the base and giving you a large, close building to make the background look that much farther away and therefore larger.

Neat. Every time I see this think I immediately see Cincinnati in my mind. View attachment 540213

Whoa. I've seen the skyline from a distance but never realized that was the Great American building or that the top was open white steel. That explains the look of Great American Ball Park.

B9316794029Z.1_20150330134351_000_GO9AC9KCS.1-0.jpg

ToTBellHop

Tron would actually pull more people away from other attractions/walkways more consistently than a large theater.
The Hyperion at DCA holds ~2,000 people. The show usually ran 3 shows a day. As MK is busier than DCA lets give it 5 shows a day for a total daily capacity of 10,000 people. Also remember that they will cut off the line at 2,000 people waiting in line.
So a theater has
  • Daily capacity of 10,000 people
  • Holds 2,000 people max
Compare that to Tron which has an hourly capacity of ~1,600 people per hour. Can run 7 trains at 14 people per train for 98 people on the ride. However, Tron will hold a TON of people in it's line... ~1,600 for an hour wait.
If Tron has a 1 hour and 15 minute line AND MK operates for 12 hours:
  • Daily capacity of 19,200 people
  • Holds 2,000 people (more if line is longer than 75 minutes)
Processing 20,000 guests a day for a 1-minute coaster is not the same as processing 10,000 for a 45-min show.

peter11435

Somewhere buried in one of his threads, Eddie Sotto mentioned that only something like ¼ of guests ride Space Mountain at either Disneyland or Magic Kingdom. Capacity does not directly correlate to interest but it was an interesting point about how even the most popular attractions do not serve every guest on a given day.
And for the most part no attraction is physically capable of accommodating every guests in a day.

Purduevian

Processing 20,000 guests a day for a 1-minute coaster is not the same as processing 10,000 for a 45-min show.
Your right, assuming a 44 minute line, the 1-minute coaster is twice as effective at getting people away from the rest of the park throughout the day on average.

The theater takes 2000 people out of the rest of the park for 3-5 shows a day for 1 hour

Tron (with fastpass to make it worse of 70% with a 10 minute wait) soaks 98 people on ride, 286 people in FP line and 960 people in a 2 hour line for a total of 1,344 guests, for the entire operating day.

Tron on average will pull more people out of the park than a theater no matter how you look at it. Yes for those 3-5 hours a day the theater will take ~700 extra people more than Tron, but the other 8ish hours it holds ~1300 less.

Also, yes Tron will see a slight bump in attendance, but it will make up for it with it's capacity.

ToTBellHop

But you’re not accounting for wait times. If the 20,000 wait an average of 45 mins - 60 mins it’s way more for the coaster.
A—they won’t get anywhere near 20k. They’ll be lucky to hit 1000/hour—12k in a typical day.
B—at WDW, you have the pleasure of waiting for shows, too. Unless you use FP, of course, but you won’t wait much for TRON with FP, either.

Purduevian

A—they won’t get anywhere near 20k
B—at WDW, you have the pleasure of waiting for shows, too. Unless you use FP, of course, but you won’t wait much for TRON with FP, either.
A-20,000 people. MK is open 13 hours today, so 1,538 people per hour. Trains hold 14 people. 109 launches per hour. A launch every 33 seconds... which is exactly what happens in the video I posted from Shanghai a few pages back. Will it his 20,000 people a day? Probably not, but it will near that.

All of this excludes the 30 minute extra for resort guests, and the fact that it will probably have an hour+ line at closing.

^That's where my 20,000 a day number comes from. How does it differ from you calculation?

B-Assuming the theater would have been like DCA, they cut the line off once a show reaches capacity. Also FP+ will take about half the theater capacity (so 1,000ish guests have almost no wait). Yes the other 1,000 people will probably wait anywhere from 1 hour to 10 minutes to get into the show. So it will soak up 1000 people for an hour and a half and 1000 other people for an hour... only 3-5 times a day. Tron is soaking up over 1,2000 guests from the park for the whole operating day.

I see a lot of people say the theater would be better for MK crowding than, but I have yet to see anyone explain to me why they think this comparing Shanghi Tron to Hyperion Theater numbers which is the closest approximations we can get.

ToTBellHop

A-20,000 people. MK is open 13 hours today, so 1,538 people per hour. Trains hold 14 people. 109 launches per hour. A launch every 33 seconds... which is exactly what happens in the video I posted from Shanghai a few pages back. Will it his 20,000 people a day? Probably not, but it will near that.

All of this excludes the 30 minute extra for resort guests, and the fact that it will probably have an hour+ line at closing.

^That's where my 20,000 a day number comes from. How does it differ from you calculation?

B-Assuming the theater would have been like DCA, they cut the line off once a show reaches capacity. Also FP+ will take about half the theater capacity (so 1,000ish guests have almost no wait). Yes the other 1,000 people will probably wait anywhere from 1 hour to 10 minutes to get into the show. So it will soak up 1000 people for an hour and a half and 1000 other people for an hour... only 3-5 times a day. Tron is soaking up over 1,2000 guests from the park for the whole operating day.

I see a lot of people say the theater would be better for MK crowding than, but I have yet to see anyone explain to me why they think this comparing Shanghi Tron to Hyperion Theater numbers which is the closest approximations we can get.
They won’t be launching a train every 33 seconds in Florida.

14 people won’t fit on a train.

It‘ll break down a lot because it’s Magic Kingdom.

UNCgolf

They won’t be launching a train every 33 seconds in Florida.

I guarantee they don't launch them every 33 seconds in Shanghai, either.

Obviously they sometimes launch them that quickly, but other times it may be a minute or more between launches. It's not like a factory assembly line where everything is fully automated and the timing stays consistent.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I understand the hate TRON is receiving, much of it deserved from a Park Ops and sightlines perspective, but to start comparing the unfinished canopy, which when complete will have a fairly impressive lighting package, to a corporate Bank building in Ohio just doesn't really seem justified at this point. I've noticed the hyperbole has been strong in threads here lately.

Last edited:

ToTBellHop

I guarantee they don't launch them every 33 seconds in Shanghai, either.

Obviously they sometimes launch them that quickly, but other times it may be a minute or more between launches. It's not like a factory assembly line where everything is fully automated.
Yes, and due to cultural differences, guests in China manage to listen and board a more complex ride vehicle better than Florida visitors. It’s hard enough to get the right number of people into coasters and and then to get them to pull lap bars down. This is considerably more complex. My rides on FoP are routinely delayed by people who can’t board correctly.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom