News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
The decision to halt construction was made before there was any hope that this Summer *maybe* things would begin to normalize with herd immunity. It didn't make sense to open E-Tickets that would draw more crowds that couldn't get in with the distancing capacity limits. As anemic as DHS is with attractions at this time, it hits (or gets near) its capacity with RotR and MMRR. MK doesn't need help hitting its capacity (tho, maybe EPCOT does).

The 50th celebration alone (and the restart of party nights) is going to make this Holiday Season constantly hit capacity.

Anyway, a decision made months ago was to save TRON and GotG for after the initial 50th crowd. They'd be a great way to bolster crowds starting mid-January for "we're open without masks" campaign.
And, like every Disney decision related to unopened projects, it is subject to change at any moment based on whatever thoughts pop into their heads.

MadTeacup

Something tells me if they are continuing work on MMRR at a closed park with no definite reopening that they are not going to stop work on an open park that also happens to be their flagship and makes a tidy profit.
Except they have. I live behind MK. I drive past it almost every day (and night). There is NO active construction inside the building.
I still don’t think this passes the smell test. They’re already almost to where they were 2019 attendance wise. It’s packed every week. It would make 0 sense for them to stop construction of something and delay it passed spring or mid summer ‘22. It’s not like a temporary stop would save them any money. It might actually cost more money!
Smells fine to me. It would actually make ALL the sense to halt construction. We're still living in a Covid world and they don't want to draw a massive crowd to one small part of the park. Also, Walt Disney World may be making a little money, but it's part of a division of the company that has been losing a lot of money for more that 10 months now. Keep in mind that attendance is still limited and nowhere near what it was a year ago. Additionally, the money they are currently losing by continuing to maintain all the closed resorts is pretty serious. Spreading out the cost over time might not make sense to you, but it makes a LOT of sense to the people who control the budget.
I’m not saying it makes sense to stop, but you don’t wall up openings you need open to finish the work. And these are actual walls being built, not plywood boards being screwed into them. That’s an extra expense that only makes sense if you need more than short term protection.

People bend over backwards to get Disney work and it’s not like there has been a huge boom in building. If anything the pause of Epic Universe has left a huge hole in the local schedules (although the phases of work don’t quite overlap).
An aluminum panel is not what I'd describe as an "actual wall." It's a thin veneer that was applied to protect the building from the elements and can easily be cut open once work resumes. It most likely would have been waste material anyway. Plywood would likely have been more difficult, costly, and unsightly to attach.

lazyboy97o

An aluminum panel is not what I'd describe as an "actual wall." It's a thin veneer that was applied to protect the building from the elements and can easily be cut open once work resumes. It most likely would have been waste material anyway. Plywood would likely have been more difficult, costly, and unsightly to attach.
The coaster re-entry was sealed with an insulated metal panel, which is made of rigid insulation sandwich between two pieces of steel, not aluminum. It is the same material that comprises the building envelope. Insulated metal panels are not something that is field cut, either to fit the wall or to create openings, so it is not waste. It is a panel specifically ordered and made for the purpose of sealing that opening and it must be attached in a manner that meets its Florida Product Approval.

The guest entrance is being sealing with an infill steel stud wall. Also something that is not just waste material or would just be cut open. It is also something that cannot just be built on a whim as the wall does have to be designed.

EricsBiscuit

Except they have. I live behind MK. I drive past it almost every day (and night). There is NO active construction inside the building.

Smells fine to me. It would actually make ALL the sense to halt construction. We're still living in a Covid world and they don't want to draw a massive crowd to one small part of the park. Also, Walt Disney World may be making a little money, but it's part of a division of the company that has been losing a lot of money for more that 10 months now. Keep in mind that attendance is still limited and nowhere near what it was a year ago. Additionally, the money they are currently losing by continuing to maintain all the closed resorts is pretty serious. Spreading out the cost over time might not make sense to you, but it makes a LOT of sense to the people who control the budget.

They can complete it and leave it sit a la Rat. They can time the pace of construction to finish next year. They have options. Of their options, the one that makes the least sense is to just stop altogether. They have 2 closed parks in Anaheim and are going through with construction in each park. To think they wouldn’t continue construction at an open and profitable property is crazy to me.

MadTeacup

The coaster re-entry was sealed with an insulated metal panel, which is made of rigid insulation sandwich between two pieces of steel, not aluminum. It is the same material that comprises the building envelope. Insulated metal panels are not something that is field cut, either to fit the wall or to create openings, so it is not waste. It is a panel specifically ordered and made for the purpose of sealing that opening and it must be attached in a manner that meets its Florida Product Approval.

The guest entrance is being sealing with an infill steel stud wall. Also something that is not just waste material or would just be cut open. It is also something that cannot just be built on a whim as the wall does have to be designed.
You sure they used a steel product? I'm pretty sure there is a very similar product to what you just described that is made of aluminum making it rust resistive, lighter, and easy to cut. I'm only asking based on what I've witnessed because it appears that holes for the scuppers along the parapet wall were field cut as well as some detail cuts around corners of the parapet.

lazyboy97o

You sure they used a steel product? I'm pretty sure there is a very similar product to what you just described that is made of aluminum making it rust resistive, lighter, and easy to cut. I'm only asking based on what I've witnessed because it appears that holes for the scuppers along the parapet wall were field cut as well as some detail cuts around corners of the parapet.
I’m sure. You can get a similar panelized look with aluminum panels but that is generally going to be a rainscreen application where the panel is installed on a solid wall (see Spider-Man at Disney’s California Adventure). Field cuts can be done, which is what they did for the track, but its going to be small and nothing of significant size.

MadTeacup

They can complete it and leave it sit a la Rat. They can time the pace of construction to finish next year. They have options. Of their options, the one that makes the least sense is to just stop altogether. They have 2 closed parks in Anaheim and are going through with construction in each park. To think they wouldn’t continue construction at an open and profitable property is crazy to me.
This has a lot to do with what phases the projects were in at the time. Rat and Marvel were already in the final phases of construction and it would have been too late to shutter either construction site. There's probably a good chance that MMRR could see a similar shutdown to Tron once the enclosure is complete. I haven't really heard much about the current status of MMRR. "Pacing" construction the way you describe would not make sense. It would lengthen the stay of construction crews and lessen productivity resulting in higher payroll. I know corporate finances seem pretty strange, but putting a pause on construction is the most logical thing they could have done right now to help with finances and crowds. Again, while Walt Disney World itself might be generating a profit, a very small profit compared to what it usually generates, the Parks division as a whole is losing a LOT of money. By not spending on Tron right now, their losses lessen by several million. Seeing how opening Tron won't create an immediate return on investment and drive addition profit in this current world, it's better to lessen the losses in a time of hardship and wait to spend profit in a time of prosperity.

JoeCamel

With the framing for the opening I think there has to be changes to the skin before they shoot people through there

tron.jpg

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
This has a lot to do with what phases the projects were in at the time. Rat and Marvel were already in the final phases of construction and it would have been too late to shutter either construction site. There's probably a good chance that MMRR could see a similar shutdown to Tron once the enclosure is complete. I haven't really heard much about the current status of MMRR. "Pacing" construction the way you describe would not make sense. It would lengthen the stay of construction crews and lessen productivity resulting in higher payroll. I know corporate finances seem pretty strange, but putting a pause on construction is the most logical thing they could have done right now to help with finances and crowds. Again, while Walt Disney World itself might be generating a profit, a very small profit compared to what it usually generates, the Parks division as a whole is losing a LOT of money. By not spending on Tron right now, their losses lessen by several million. Seeing how opening Tron won't create an immediate return on investment and drive addition profit in this current world, it's better to lessen the losses in a time of hardship and wait to spend profit in a time of prosperity.
The reaffirmed the previously announced opening date for MMRR West in November so I don’t think they have plans to suspend construction there.

JoeCamel

@lazyboy97o How are the skin panels attached? Clips, rails bolts? Looks like they might remove the surrounding panels and install ones that fit the frame of the opening? I thought they were very long sheets but if they are rectangles then they might not lay flat?

lazyboy97o

@lazyboy97o How are the skin panels attached? Clips, rails bolts? Looks like they might remove the surrounding panels and install ones that fit the frame of the opening? I thought they were very long sheets but if they are rectangles then they might not lay flat?
The panels are really just screwed onto the girts, the “beams” that run horizontally from column to column. They likely had to add some girts to the coaster re-entry opening as the panels are narrower than the opening. You’re right that the panels will have to be removed. There are likely panels that match the arched opening being stored somewhere for when they are needed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom