News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The new WDI motto is, “if you can’t see it from MCO, don’t bother building it.”
Of all the times I've flown into MCO, the only Disney building I was able to identify was the Swolphin.

Then again, my flights come in from the East.

I'm sure if from a different direction, I'd be able to make out more.

ToTBellHop

Of all the times I've flown into MCO, the only Disney building I was able to identify was the Swolphin.

Then again, my flights come in from the East.

I'm sure if from a different direction, I'd be able to make out more.
Oh, I’ve seen SSE, ToT, the Castle, Contemporary. I actually haven’t seen TRON or GotG because the paint jobs make those buildings vanish.

SpoiledBlueMilk

Disney has tweeted an article by USA Today, with direct quotes from Josh D'amaro, and it directly says "The launched ride, which will also include indoor scenes, will be themed to the “Tron" sci-fi movies. The coaster isn’t expected to open during the park’s 50th birthday year. "

I know we can track external progress, but do any of us actually know how much is done in the ride building itself? They could be pausing for a few months and still be on schedule for the 50th. Or am I completely wrong?

SilentWindODoom

rubbing-bridge-of-nose.gif

Pages and pages of discussing the views of the building and now the canopy is actually being built and is indeed covering the building even better than I expected from inside the park and a bunch of newcomers pop in and say it's going to look terrible inside the park.

I'm sorry but its hard to believe they're really just gonna let the building sit for 8 months when in that 8 months they could potentially finish the ride.

I don't see any 'expensive set installation' for this indoor coaster. There are no animatronics, or moveable themes. Just a bunch of panels and lighting elements. This is a cloned attraction, so there should be duplicates already available. or currently fabricated. This should be ready in plenty if time for the 50th Celebration. Any delays are purposely being put in place to push this as a 'new attraction for 2022.

The general consensus is it's for money reasons, which does make sense. It's not to create headlines later. The company is hurting for money and money they don't spend on this ride is money that can go towards other things, including keeping their losses low and making themselves look good to shareholders. If they have huge losses, they're going to make cuts that actually affect people.

The benefits of building it: You have a new attraction to draw people. But either you're going to have restrictions that mean you can only have so many people in so there can't be more people drawn, or people are going to be coming in huge numbers anyway because restrictions are finally lifted (except for more cautious people who wouldn't change their name for Tron). You can say that even if people can't come, that just means the crowds will be even better when the restrictions are lifted. But you'll also get that if you just open it at that later date. So, there's literally no benefit except for having it as part of the celebration.

The benefits of delaying it: The money spent paying for people to build it will not be counted as losses and can be spent elsewhere and ensure there are no cuts. There's been too many cuts. We've lost too many people.

Fresh pictures. (taken this morning)

Backstage.png

someone lunch GIF

(I've lost my nerve and feel the need to include that this is not actually accusatory and just meant for comedic purposes. 🤣)

doctornick

I think they are delaying it almost exclusively for attendance. They already have Ratatouille (and maybe Harmonius) as the "new thing" for this year and have a limit on how many people they can even accommodate until they get closer to "normal". Heck, they even have the 50th as a draw for whatever stuff then do. They don't want additional draws until they can really capitalize on it. Hence, 2022 opening.

The fact that they'll save some money in the short term and defer that spending is a nice side benefit. But given the amount of work already done, I don't think we are talking about an overwhelming amount of spending to save in the grand scheme of things for Disney.

Seanual757

Best reason for delaying money and limited capacity. Opening a ride during 35%, 50% capacity and if no boarding groups
I think they are delaying it almost exclusively for attendance. They already have Ratatouille (and maybe Harmonius) as the "new thing" for this year and have a limit on how many people they can even accommodate until they get closer to "normal". Heck, they even have the 50th as a draw for whatever stuff then do. They don't want additional draws until they can really capitalize on it. Hence, 2022 opening.

The fact that they'll save some money in the short term and defer that spending is a nice side benefit. But given the amount of work already done, I don't think we are talking about an overwhelming amount of spending to save in the grand scheme of things for Disney.

Saving money and yes limited capacity. If they are still operating at 35% or even 50% and if they opt not to have boarding groups at the very least 2/3 of the crowds will be in line for Tron. My guess is that come Jan 2022 no masks and 100% capacity things will begin to return to normal and tourism picks back up.

SilentWindODoom

Consensus among whom?

Everything I've heard said in this thread. The trusted people seemed to keep saying that it's being delayed to push costs into later quarters. Is that a misconception? I've checked in over months with weeks-long gaps in between so I can't remember specific instances but in my head it seemed totally sure which I assumed was from hearing it enough.

lazyboy97o

If you were just delaying for attendance then there is no point in incurring the additional costs involved in halting and resuming the work as you could just finish it and let it sit.

Last edited:

yensidtlaw1969

Not to kick up dust, but a video just popped up in my feed that inspired me to do some photoshopping.

This picture is a couple video screenshots photoshopped together into a Pano, showing the TRON showbuilding from an onstage, Guest-Facing area in Storybook Circus, with a Red Line showing approximately how much of it will be covered by the Canopy once it's finished.

Which is to say . . . almost none of it:

TRON Construction Screenshots with Canopy Overlay.jpg

TrainsOfDisney

Sure, given the landscaping stays that way (including the sign) and the fencing I imagine you're right.

That's likely to happen, I'm suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.
I see your point but I also see how they have left Avatar show buildings in full guest view when arriving by Disney Transportation.

Hopefully they will add proper landscaping if only so I can get good photos of the trains... that path is the best place to watch trains since they have to work up the little grade there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom