News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

TrainsOfDisney

The float issue is the only thing I can think of that would be a reason Martin couldn't be specific about due to it being a backstage function. Although it could also have to do with the death of a cast member involved with a float that if I recall correctly was near the Frontierland crossing. But is @Captain Barbossa beholden to the same secrecy, because he seems to know for sure so it would be helpful to just spit it out.
Yeah the two tunnels and grade crossings could be an issue.

There’s also the big thunder track crossing which is visible and signaled before departing Frontierland, but would potentially need signals for a reverse move.

I’m not sure what the big secret is either.

Captain Barbossa

Well... use your words. What’s so different?

The 2 grade crossings? The tunnels?
I have, on multiple occasions. But it all goes back to some people having hollow heads.

Yes, the main issue, at least to my eyes, is today’s safety and operations vs. 1990s’ safety and operations. But, there are also additional issues that play a factor to this situation, mainly being the grade crossings.

Now, I can’t confirm this because I’m not 100% sure, but I believe that there is a very, very good chance that there are not any sensors to trigger the crossings by trains coming from the counterclockwise direction. I think there is only one sensor for each crossing, being the sensor that is set off by trains coming from Main Street. If that’s the case, then the only way for the crossings to be triggered when there’s a train coming counterclockwise, is for someone to manually trigger them via the control box located at each crossing.

TrainsOfDisney

I have, on multiple occasions. But it all goes back to some people having hollow heads.

Yes, the main issue, at least to my eyes, is today’s safety and operations vs. 1990s’ safety and operations. But, there are also additional issues that play a factor to this situation, mainly being the grade crossings.

Now, I can’t confirm this because I’m not 100% sure, but I believe that there is a very, very good chance that there are not any sensors to trigger the crossings by trains coming from the counterclockwise direction. I think there is only one sensor for each crossing, being the sensor that is set off by trains coming from Main Street. If that’s the case, then the only way for the crossings to be triggered when there’s a train coming counterclockwise, is for someone to manually trigger them via the control box located at each crossing.
Yeah for regular operation you’d have to pay for additional signaling. You’d probably need signals at each tunnel to show the crossings ahead were activated and you’d possibly need a signal ahead of the big thunder crossing.

If you can dream it, you can do it!*

*unless it’s too expensive and / or doesn’t involve a Chapek favorites IP, void where prohibited by Iger.

Jrb1979

So what I gather is the train can't make a full loop so when it reaches Tomorrowland is has to go back the way it came and there is an issue running backwards?

TrainsOfDisney

So what I gather is the train can't make a full loop so when it reaches Tomorrowland is has to go back the way it came and there is an issue running backwards?
The tracks have been gone because of the Tron Construction. The train has been closed for over 2 years now.

Operating the trains as a shuttle would be problematic. Could be done, but not simple and you’d end up with a single train shuttle. Maybe 900 an hour capacity? Probably not worth it.

Ideally they would have built a passing siding and operate 2 trains between fantasyland and frontierland only.

Jrb1979

The tracks have been gone because of the Tron Construction. The train has been closed for over 2 years now.

Operating the trains as a shuttle would be problematic. Could be done, but not simple and you’d end up with a single train shuttle. Maybe 900 an hour capacity? Probably not worth it.

Ideally they would have built a passing siding and operate 2 trains between fantasyland and frontierland only.
Why not just put new tracks down? Or is that an issue?

tparris

I’m curious as to why they covered the opening with the same panels as the rest of the building, but seemingly a different type of protection for the main entrance and other openings.

lazyboy97o

I’m curious as to why they covered the opening with the same panels as the rest of the building, but seemingly a different type of protection for the main entrance and other openings.
Size of openings would be my guess. The track opening above is relatively small with a lot of steel around it which would make it fairly easy to add some girts across the opening and secure the insulated metal panels. The guest openings are longer spans so adding girts would requiring adding steel columns. A simple steel stud exterior wall is likely easier infill than all of that extra structure.

EricsBiscuit

If the WDWRR reopens before the COVID restrictions are lifted I can see them just doing the Grand Circle Tour from one of the stations (a complete trip, no stops). I would prefer this. It would probably be just a 2 train operation most days but it would definitely make life easier for Disney. They wouldn’t have to staff all 3 stations.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If the WDWRR reopens before the COVID restrictions are lifted I can see them just doing the Grand Circle Tour from one of the stations (a complete trip, no stops). I would prefer this. It would probably be just a 2 train operation most days but it would definitely make life easier for Disney. They wouldn’t have to staff all 3 stations.
In the brief time it was open, Paris ran one train stopping at all stations with plastic dividers between every section of seating. Half of each section was closed to in effect have every other seating area left empty. But we’ve seen how Orlando no longer think they should do that on other attractions.

EricsBiscuit

In the brief time it was open, Paris ran one train stopping at all stations with plastic dividers between every section of seating. Half of each section was closed to in effect have every other seating area left empty. But we’ve seen how Orlando no longer think they should do that on other attractions.
Was everyone forced to get off at each station?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom