News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

No Name

Jeez, a lot happened in two days.

What... is this in reference to? I have absolutely no idea what that is.

Yup. The aerial of Shanghai is at an angle that it lines up perfectly with the above section, but you're right. There's a slight sliver of the lower building there.

I was referring to this mockup I'd made earlier based on what pictures were available of the work at the time.

6BDiShD.png

But now that we've got images of the view down World Drive (not to mention the new pic someone just took from the Poly), that my estimate was actually off. I thought the building would show a lot more. It seems that the view will be a heck of a lot better than I expected.

All right. All right. Let's settle this. I've thrown everything into CAD, so let's take a look at viewpoints and see if this is going to be visible from 20 spots in the park and not be hidden from the canopy anywhere, ever, in any way like everyone seems to be saying. (In the event anyone takes me seriously, let me make it clear I'm returning hyperbole for hyperbole. ;) )

I took the current satellite image of the area, the new satellite that was just posted of the current construction in Orlando, and the satellite of Shanghai's version. I got them all sized right so that the original could be traced and I could bring it over to the new construction and see where the canopy will sit (cyan).

View attachment 485613

So that's where the canopy is. Now, let's look at Shanghai Disneyland and see if the box is visible from the side of the canopy. Unfortunately, there is no Streetview from within the park, and I have to go off of 360 images and an image search.

TronBuilding.jpg
th

Pictures do show the building poking out. However, these views are from an elevated platform that rings the Shanghai Tomorrowland, as are most views of the ride's exterior. It makes sense. It gives the most epic vista. But no such platform exists in Orlando. Here's where those viewpoints would be from in the Magic Kingdom (yellow arrows):

View attachment 485616

But, of course, thirty feet in the air. Of course, while we don't have an elevated platform, we do have the Tomorrowland Transit Authority Peoplemover. Fortunately, videos have been uploaded from earlier in the year of what a ride on the TTA/PM is like.

View attachment 485617

From the initial exit of the station, we can see the track going higher than the show building from this perspective. Now, the canopy dips in the center, so there will be poking out in the middle. But this view and the earlier pic from the Poly shows something interesting. We'll get to that later.

View attachment 485620

Funnily enough given a lot of the conversation we've been having, the building is blocked a number of times on the way towards Space Mountain by foliage.

View attachment 485621

Again, approaching Space it seems that the building will bridge the two peaks of the canopy like it did from the center of Tomorrowland.

But this isn't the highest we can get in Tomorrowland. So let's take a ride on the Astro Orbiter.

View attachment 485623

It's close. It's certainly close. But it looks like the building will bridge the canopy. Why do I keep mentioning that? Well, the Shanghai building appears to be a bit more of a darker shade of the Nothing to See Here Navy the back of the Orlando building is. But instead, this building is done in white and gray, more approaching the colors of the canopy itself. If the corner does not pop up, then the shape in the background fits more with the canopy structure rather than looking like a box. And the TTA and Poly pics seem to suggest that in high sunlight, the cladding takes on a much lighter look, almost white. This causes it to blend even better.

But this is all talk about high angles. What about low angles? Is the building visible on the regular elevation of Shanghai's Tomorrowland?

View attachment 485627

From this lower angle, the building is completely invisible. And what viewpoint does this correlate with in Orlando?

View attachment 485638

This is the viewpoint of between the TTA/MP and Tron. This is the approach of people to ride the ride, the most important viewpoint in terms of where you want to compose a cool vista. And once you get farther back on the ground level, you've got the elevated tracks to compete with.

The tracks already block Space from a lot of the land. The Tron building will not be seen from the ground of Tomorrowland, the places where the ride is visible getting a view of the canopy instead of the box. The entirety of the Speedway has the canopy between it and the building, with the high peaks blocking visibility.

To me, the most important parts of theming this building are the canopy being the visible portion within Tomorrowland and none of it being visible from Storybook Circus. So let's look at the circus.

I've mentioned numerous times how remarkable it is that despite the close proximity the current plantings block Space from view. And from the majority of the land it appears Tron is also invisible. There are three points where it isn't. The building slightly pokes out above the treeline from Dumbo, and there's the view that the pathway to Tomorrowland and Banstormer, which has been posted a bunch of times.

img_3036-jpg.482888

But all of these can easily be hidden with trees. One tiny tree blocked nearly the entirety from the TTA. It's not like you need an old-growth forest to hide it.

Something I hadn't noticed until seeing the latest aerial of the Orlando site is that the walkway is also completely gone. It will be reconstructed to go under the canopy. That's pretty cool.

Finally, the view from across the Seven Seas Lagoon.

20200719_183051-jpg.485270

Here's a new mockup of what it seems it will look like from across the Lagoon.

View attachment 485661

So, from the Polynesian, the building will show between the peaks of the canopy, albeit in a matching color. Views from the Grand Floridian are an angle similar to the angle the Speedway is at, with the higher points of the canopy sitting in front of the building. And I've mentioned plenty of times the old growth blocking a lot of views from the Contemporary complex.

View attachment 485671

This is a non-zoomed in view from the monorail. To the right you can see the forest I've been talking about, and it dwarfs the Tron building from the bottom half of the Contemporary and Bay Lake Tower.

So here's where the building will be visible from:

-It will slightly peek out in the distance behind Space Mountain as the bus turns into the MK bus stops.

-The above distant shot from the monorail when entering from the TTC.

-As a part of a group of whitish shapes from the Polynesian.

-As a possible part of the canopy from the TTA/PM and Astro Orbiter.

-A segment of the walkway and possibly the Railroad between edge of the Barnstormer queue and the canopy.

The canopy will block it from a number of places and it will be largely visible for what it is onstage in one barely visited corner of the park. All other clear views will be off-stage.

Even with your relatively low standards and favorable choices of photos it’s still an atrocity that you had to write far too many words to try and excuse. Outside of the park is not off-stage and a canopy hurts the forced perspective of Space Mountain no less than a box.
This is the approach of people to ride the ride, the most important viewpoint in terms of where you want to compose a cool vista.
Agreed.
287992A1-9EAF-47FA-94AF-52F042205404.png

Last edited:

SilentWindODoom

Even with your relatively low standards and favorable choices of photos it’s still an atrocity that you had to write far too many words to try and excuse. Outside of the park is not off-stage and a canopy hurts the forced perspective of Space Mountain no less than a box.

F... favorable? What pictures did you want me to use? I used everything I could find. Did you want me to use zoomed in photos and say "This thing completely fills my vision from hundreds of feet away!"? How can every angle I could find and fit in one post be "favorable"?

As for the forced perspective of Space, which is still something I've never heard of outside of this thread and could only find mention of on one listicle from a dining website and I don't necessarily think is needed when the mountain is already huge on its own, Tron is set back and away from Space. It's also shorter, and the old arcade building blocks it from view when you're standing in front of Space and when you're by the bathrooms. Meanwhile, we've already seen from pictures how much farther back and shorter the Tron building looks from approaching the park.

But... again... as I mentioned earlier in the thread... an amorphous white shape doesn't create scale. There's no windows. There's no balconies. There's no doors.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
F... favorable? What pictures did you want me to use? I used everything I could find. Did you want me to use zoomed in photos and say "This thing completely fills my vision from hundreds of feet away!"? How can every angle I could find and fit in one post be "favorable"?

As for the forced perspective of Space, which is still something I've never heard of outside of this thread and could only find mention of on one listicle from a dining website and I don't necessarily think is needed when the mountain is already huge on its own, Tron is set back and away from Space. It's also shorter, and the old arcade building blocks it from view when you're standing in front of Space and when you're by the bathrooms. Meanwhile, we've already seen from pictures how much farther back and shorter the Tron building looks from approaching the park.

But... again... as I mentioned earlier in the thread... an amorphous white shape doesn't create scale. There's no windows. There's no balconies. There's no doors.
The (tele)photo you selected to post exaggerates the BBB's visibility.

SilentWindODoom

The (tele)photo you selected to post exaggerates the BBB's visibility.

Do you mean the shot down World Drive?

tron-png.484810

I don't know much about photography. Just used Google Maps to put me in the view of someone who's there because I'm currently 12 hours away in South Carolina. And it's not exactly the most photographed spot. Buuuuuuut, to my surprise I was able to find a video of a bus ride six months ago.

EntryTron.png

A bit higher, but still shorter than Space and blocked some by something I'd missed earlier because of an error of mine. I rolled down World Drive and stopped at an entrance thinking it was the bus entrance, but it was actually the CM entrance. The monorail beam sits between the actual bus entrance and Space/Tron.

Also, saying "favorable choices of photos" seems a bit disingenuous a term to use when referring to one shot out of 14 when the remainder are frames from video or satellite imagery.

Movielover

The box is an unfortunate decision which feels too much like Universal, but it should be hidden within most of the park itself.

That view from the Contemporary will be less impressive.

I'm sure the children staying for the first time ever at the resort will just be completely triggered over the fact that the box can be seen...

Listen I get the complaint but saying a view of one of the happiest places on earth is "ruined" because of a additional building is really reaching snobbish levels of fanboying...

I'm sorry that this will forever be a non magical view anymore...
1596329950722.png

Might as well just shutter the Contemporary because no more magic can ever be gained from this vantage point...

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
I'm sure the children staying for the first time ever at the resort will just be completely triggered over the fact that the box can be seen...

Listen I get the complaint but saying a view of one of the happiest places on earth is "ruined" because of a additional building is really reaching snobbish levels of fanboying...

View attachment 488495
Might as well just shutter the Contemporary because no more magic can ever be gained from this vantage point...
Yeah the secret of the contemporary/ BLT is that the views are already terrible. Look kids, roofs! A bus station! And a castle that is no where near is big as it looks from inside the park!

tirian

View attachment 488495
Wait, who’s triggered and can’t handle a different opinion? ;)

J4546

its kinda weird having 2 similar rides right next to each other, but i think once the tron building/canopy is all finished, it will be a welcome addition to tomorrowland. the ride itself looks amazing on youtube. also if they retheme autopia with similar lighting, thatd be a swell update

jaxonp

its kinda weird having 2 similar rides right next to each other, but i think once the tron building/canopy is all finished, it will be a welcome addition to tomorrowland. the ride itself looks amazing on youtube. also if they retheme autopia with similar lighting, thatd be a swell update

I’ve ridden both and the only thing they have in common is that they’re both coaster.

TRON is fast, smooth, takes place in side a video game, goes outside and the seating position is unique.

Space is long, slow, rickety, takes place in outer space.

I like both but wish TRON was longer. Space needs to be retracked. It will really show its age once TRON opens.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom