News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Josh Hendy

The canopy is only at the front and is very expensive. It is not a tensile fabric structure.
Ok I get it now. I hope they plant some nice tall trees or something because the view towards Space Mountain and the Castle from the direction of Contemporary, monorail and the ferry is a very iconic part of the MK experience.

Likewise, messing up the view of Spacehip Earth with an industrial-looking GotG coaster warehouse would be a bit of a disturbance to the force.

Screenshot_20200216-180508_Maps.jpg

Goofy213

Had a question about the railroad. They started laying the new track at the front of the park and I know it is to travel under the canopy section of Tron. My question is, is the track inside an enclosed tunnel under the platform or wide open under the canopy? Seems as if it was in the open the smoke from the engine would create quite the problem? Does anyone have any info on this or perhaps a good photo of where the train is to pass under Tron?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Had a question about the railroad. They started laying the new track at the front of the park and I know it is to travel under the canopy section of Tron. My question is, is the track inside an enclosed tunnel under the platform or wide open under the canopy? Seems as if it was in the open the smoke from the engine would create quite the problem? Does anyone have any info on this or perhaps a good photo of where the train is to pass under Tron?
Diesel oil doesn't create nearly the smoke that coal or wood would. If you're worried about the steam, it'll dissipate pretty quickly.
This video shows the trains to be relatively smoke-free. They can generate prodigious clouds of steam, but it appears that can be controlled.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Tunnel.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
So. This big box.

In Shanghai the attraction is designed to be visible only with the canopy in front of it. Kind of only from Tomorrowland Light and Power area.

In Orlando the orientation is skewed 45 degrees meaning the designed to be hidden box will be visible from the Speedway, Cosmic Rays, Tea Cups, Storybook Circus etc

The yellow line is a rough alignment of the WDW RR, red arrows the designed view angles:

DED6B256-EE0B-46CA-8625-BD7385BD6839.jpeg

I hope they’re going to do more than paint big stripes on it.

SplashJacket

So. This big box.

In Shanghai the attraction is designed to be visible only with the canopy in front of it. Kind of only from Tomorrowland Light and Power area.

In Orlando the orientation is skewed 45 degrees meaning the designed to be hidden box will be visible from the Speedway, Cosmic Rays, Tea Cups, Storybook Circus etc

The yellow line is a rough alignment of the WDW RR:

View attachment 449698

Do you know why it was built 45 degrees off from Shanghai? I do not see a single positive in positioning it this way besides maybe for Railway configuration purposes.

RobWDW1971

So. This big box.

The yellow line is a rough alignment of the WDW RR:

View attachment 449698

Yup - again, begs the question. The folks at WDI aren't stupid. They designed this ride specifically for Shanghai so that your approach angle hid the big box. Now, to just pick it up and plop it down in an entirely different park, with entirely different scale, sight lines, etc. means that A) they don't understand their own design principles, B) they just don't care, or C) the cost savings of simply duplicating it overwhelms any (I believe they think "outdated) concerns about sight lines.

My guess is C with a solid foundation of B. Either way, it's coming.

TrainsOfDisney

My guess is C with a solid foundation of B. Either way, it's coming.

I’d say C. The imagineers care. One of the imagineers I talked to this year at D23 said she much prefers working on projects for the Tokyo parks because they get to do so much more there.

I wish we could know the full story of why tron was chosen vs. many other projects that were certainly proposed.

lazyboy97o

I’d say C. The imagineers care. One of the imagineers I talked to this year at D23 said she much prefers working on projects for the Tokyo parks because they get to do so much more there.

I wish we could know the full story of why tron was chosen vs. many other projects that were certainly proposed.
TRON and Ratatouille were built because they already existed and the failure of MyMagic+ to eliminate the need for new attractions was starting to make itself painfully apparent. Knee jerk reactions to a plan many “idiots” with experience warned would not work. They’re both examples of lousy spatial design. They’re suburban Walmart’s dropped down with no concern for how they interact with their surroundings.

SplashJacket

Easiest way to drop in the existing design. It’s also on the opposite side of the park, so it further skews what was intended as visible.

I understand that, but the canopy could have easily faced Tomorrowland at the same angle as Shanghai without causing complications unless something unknown to me is the culprit. With this design the canopy is less visible from the land, the show building is partially unhidden from the Speedway and entirely unhidden from Toontown.

The only logical reason I see to this design is a longterm plan to build out attractions atop the existing speedway that could easily be positioned to block the Tron show building. Had Tron been positioned parallel with the speedway it would prevent an attraction from being placed there.

This insane plan would also call for longterm thought placed into the future buildout of the Storybook Circus area.

I am not saying Imagineers do not think that long term, but I do not see the expansion that would justify Tron's placement happening in the next decade. At that point is it really even justifiable to leave an eyesore like that?

I made a mockup of a Tomorrowland overhaul for fun a while back, only relevant for demonstrating what I am saying. Putting it in a spoiler so it isn't that big.
3373e9c0edbd75acaff774c26acda9f7.png
I really do not see the benefit of building Tron this way.

lazyboy97o

I understand that, but the canopy could have easily faced Tomorrowland at the same angle as Shanghai without causing complications unless something unknown to me is the culprit. With this design the canopy is less visible from the land, the show building is partially unhidden from the Speedway and entirely unhidden from Toontown.

The only logical reason I see to this design is a longterm plan to build out attractions atop the existing speedway that could easily be positioned to block the Tron show building. Had Tron been positioned parallel with the speedway it would prevent an attraction from being placed there.

This insane plan would also call for longterm thought placed into the future buildout of the Storybook Circus area.

I am not saying Imagineers do not think that long term, but I do not see the expansion that would justify Tron's placement happening in the next decade. At that point is it really even justifiable to leave an eyesore like that?

I made a mockup of a Tomorrowland overhaul for fun a while back, only relevant for demonstrating what I am saying. Putting it in a spoiler so it isn't that big.
The canopy is not just an added show piece, it follows the layout of the track and is very expensive. There wouldn’t be much of a cost savings with a larger, redesigned canopy.

TrojanUSC

In general it just seems the art of hiding show buildings has past. Look at the Avengers stuff in DCA or this hideous box, then look at DINOSAUR and Splash. Doesn't even compare.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom