News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

IMDREW

Correct. From the pedestrian areas in Tomorrowland very little of the show building will be seen. From Bay Lake on the other hand you will see a big box and from Barnstormer it depends on the berm and landscaping.
Yeah, from tomorrowlands perspective I think this is the best angle they could have put it.. from the ticket center its the worst thing that has happened.

lazyboy97o

All of those involve the ride being in the show building itself, not something where you're going into the front section, with the rest of the ride being behind that in a building you go into.

The architecture involved are two separate ways of making these rides. I'm still on the side of waiting to see what these specific ones look like when they're completed.
There is absolutely nothing about exiting and re-entering the building that requires insulated metal panels, much less requires insulated metal panels on elevations that have no such penetrations.

And again, the building has been complete for over three years now. It’s a “lift”. The box is going to look the same unless you’re really familiar with the corrugation patterns of different metal panel manufacturers.

Space mountain will hide it from the ticket center.
Steel is already visible behind Space Mountain.

Bocabear

Now some brilliant armchair imagineering would have put Tron in the Wonders Of Life building to create a whole world of Tron...Games, a flat ride and the torn coaster...Build the Gravity building next to the GOTG Gravity building and with architectural additions make it into a futuristic cityscape... Tron would be greatly enhanced by having other attractions tied into it...and that dome building would have been amazing with a projection mapped ceiling...
Then build a new original attraction for tomorrowland that will not destroy the feel of the original park.

Casper Gutman

I’ve only seen Tron Shanghai in videos and photos, but from what I can tell even from under the canopy it is clear that the ride is housed in a big bland warehouse with a fancy structure in front. The only place the whole structure actually looks unique and coherent is from a small distance directly in front of the canopy.

Bocabear

I’ve only seen Tron Shanghai in videos and photos, but from what I can tell even from under the canopy it is clear that the ride is housed in a big bland warehouse with a fancy structure in front. The only place the whole structure actually looks unique and coherent is from a small distance directly in front of the canopy.
I have been there and that is accurate. As you approach, the canopy hides the building, but when you get up under it, it looks like a big metal building. The canopy is cool...but their entire Tomorrowland is lacking whimsy...It looks like a modern office complex or shopping plaza... Modern and clean...but kind of joyless. If it weren't for the color changing canopy their entire Tomorrowland would be dull and corporate... The jetpack ride is a visual failure... Sitting by itself with no set pieces or enhancements it is like an afterthought. I am hoping that this is not the direction they take for our Tomorrowland...

Incomudro

I have been there and that is accurate. As you approach, the canopy hides the building, but when you get up under it, it looks like a big metal building. The canopy is cool...but their entire Tomorrowland is lacking whimsy...It looks like a modern office complex or shopping plaza... Modern and clean...but kind of joyless. If it weren't for the color changing canopy their entire Tomorrowland would be dull and corporate... The jetpack ride is a visual failure... Sitting by itself with no set pieces or enhancements it is like an afterthought. I am hoping that this is not the direction they take for our Tomorrowland...

But is a big metal building terribly out of place in Tomorrowland, or in the realm of Tron?
This is quite different from seeing the warehouse that houses the Haunted Mansion ride, or PotC.

justintheharris

Yea so is Journey Into Imagination. And the Land Pavilion.

Bocabear

But is a big metal building terribly out of place in Tomorrowland, or in the realm of Tron?
This is quite different from seeing the warehouse that houses the Haunted Mansion ride, or PotC.
Yes and No...
It certainly does nothing to further the story through architecture...being a big metal building. In the case of Shanghai, I don't particularly find much of their Tomorrowland compelling.. Too sterile, too "corporate city center" without any storytelling or whimsy... The canopy is the whole show for the land...
Which is where the metal building then looks... well kinda meh
In our Tomorrowland, the scale is completely different... The buildings are smaller, colorful...Futuristic but with playful details...The entire scale of the Tron attraction in Shanghai dwarfs the buildings we currently have, and being a glaringly different design aesthetic will make it really stand out... Hopefully the Speedway's remodel will include architectural elements from both to create a visual bridge between the two styles... But who knows at this point... It would be nice to have some details on what they are actually doing with Tomorrowland and the forward looking plans.

Casper Gutman

Yea so is Journey Into Imagination. And the Land Pavilion.
Journey does not look like a warehouse from any publicly-accessible area I’m aware of. The only section of the Land that is noticeably warehouse-y is the Soarin’ buildings, which are part of the recently developing problem.

You are completely entitled not to care about sightlines. It’s disingenuous to deny, however, that the proliferation of massive, plain, square buildings that are clearly visible from guest areas marks a definite change in WDWs design philosophy.

Buried20KLeague

No, we're being practical and waiting until the construction is completed.

I've seen the completed construction. The show building is VERY visable. You're incorrect.

I mean, you flat-out walk into the box, even. To the left of the entrance in Shanghai (under the canopy) is a big, plain, light blue wall. It's similar to RnRC, but instead of a giant guitar/fret track/car over the entrance, it's canopy. The train comes out of the box. The train goes back into the box.

It's a box with a shiny thing attached. Which is fine... As long as everyone understands that's what it is.

justintheharris

Journey does not look like a warehouse from any publicly-accessible area I’m aware of. The only section of the Land that is noticeably warehouse-y is the Soarin’ buildings, which are part of the recently developing problem.

You are completely entitled not to care about sightlines. It’s disingenuous to deny, however, that the proliferation of massive, plain, square buildings that are clearly visible from guest areas marks a definite change in WDWs design philosophy.
Yea. It does. You can see the sky blue show building from many angles. Journey Into Imagination is the same concept as Tron. A unique architectural design to draw attention away from the show building. And any person who isn't looking for the show building will not notice or if they do, care about it. You like retro Epcot so you're more than willing to overlook when its buildings do it. But you hate modern Disney so you call out Tron because you're looking for reasons to get upset.

And I am more than willing to go to Epcot within the next week to take pictures and show you.

tparris

"Welcome to Costco, I love you." Is one possible future - if you know that reference.
I hear you, but what should the coaster enter?
A mirrored box?
A lighted box?
I'm asking this partly out of ignorance - as I've never seen a Tron movie.
Where would it be thematically correct for the coaster to go?
That is a good question.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom