News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

celluloid

And visible from around the park.

The point seems moot if you are comparing Matterhorn which was an enhancement to the standard of the time. The standards in that art direction are similar as point of referece Weenies, and it has grown to be better. The standard has progressed, but you are only as good as the most recent move, and Tron is not a step to increase the Standard.

Last edited:

solidyne

I get the idea, but in reality, you see parking lots and a lot of back-of-the-house facilities when on the Monorail. Also, the Contemporary doesn't really scream Disney magic (and it's my favorite hotel). Do they even still do the night-time light show in Bay Lake?
It's not so much seeing a show building or seeing backstage. That itself is one thing. For me it's really the big box ruining the look and proportion of SM, which (to me) just looks beautiful standing alone outside the RR loop. Sure, some angles will be great, but a lot of great photo angles of SM that currently exist will no longer.

DDLand

Is that really an issue? From those perspectives you are on vacation going to a park, not immersed in a story/world.
The Magic Kingdom arrival tells a story.

Why the TTC? Why not have a parking lot immediately adjacent?

Disney had done that before at Disneyland, and it had worked fine. But with Walt Disney World they wanted to do better.

You leave a sea of cement, and board a neat little parking lot tram that drops you off at an initial gateway. A gateway to the “Vacation Kingdom of the World.” This is the TTC.

While the TTC of today is a little, shall we say, in need of help, when it opened it actually was beautiful. Here you had a futuristic gateway that could take you to a “Magic Kingdom,” or to Polynesia, or to Italy, or Asia. Eventually the TTC would connect you to all the future projects Walt Disney World would build. It was a sleek arrival fitting for Walt Disney World.

This should change the way you think about 7 seas lagoon. The “show” didn’t start at park gates. No, it started all the way across the lake. But now, anxious to arrive at the Magic Kingdom, you have two options for arrival. Let’s take the boat. Initially you may only catch some glimpses of a castle in the distance . Just hints. Two strategically placed islands obscure your view of the Magic Kingdom. But finally your gazing is rewarded as your steamship goes around the bend and the Magic Kingdom is in full view.

It’s dazzling!

Before your eyes is a castle towering above you in the distance. Trees help frame the castle and make it seem even further away. Off in the distance the spires of Space Mountain beckon you. It’s incredible, but at the same time somewhat distant. It’s all what once right in front of you, but also apart.

You haven’t made it yet!

Once you arrive you have park gates and the train station. Even then you haven’t “made it.” But once you make it through the tunnels... It’s like you’re thrust into a whole new world. Gone is the wilderness and journey. You are completely immersed in a beautiful 1900s atmosphere and you can feel the excitement and optimism of the time.

But off in the distance, still calling to you, is the castle framed by trees. It looks distant and stately. You’ll want to linger on Main Street USA, but not too long... The Castle is calling!

Or what about the Monorail? The Monorail is almost like a world tour. With the selection of hotels like the Polynesian, Contemporary, and the other hotels slated to be built, you can travel the world from the comfort of an attractive and futuristic monorail system. Of course one of the prime destinations is the Magic Kingdom itself. Every thing you see on the Monorail is designed to dazzle you and make you feel immersed. It’s almost like an airplane traveling the world.

The monorail exposes the park much earlier. But what a view! The entire “Magic Kingdom” is in front of you. You can see fantasy, Frontier, Tomorrow, and Adventure. All the views are spectacular!

Then when you’re finished for the night, the castle fades away. Either into the distance or obscured by trees. Before you know it, you’re loading back into the car wondering whether it was all real. The trip to the Magic Kingdom was one of increasing fantasy, and the trip home is a return to normalcy.

These days the monorail, hotels, and park look pretty trashy IMO. Like humiliatingly bad. The Polynesian roof is travesty. The DVC component to Grand Floridian is an embarrassment. Oh, and don’t mind the crappy box we’re building. The aerial ramp they’ve built makes the arrival feel like a highway.

Disney has managed to wreck one of the finest narratives at their park with one poor decision at a time. Part of this is not looking at the experience holistically. Part is poor maintenance. Part is... do you think Chapek gets the narrative?

Poor poor Magic Kingdom. I know everyone likes to talk about how every other castle park is better. But had they expanded it, cared for it, and really loved it, it would be the best by a long shot. The Imagineering narrative they wove into that park was and is insane. It may be my nostalgia, but I’ve been to 5 out of the 6 castle parks. What might have been!

So let me summarize what Tron is (not the ride but the execution). It’s a slap in the face to the designers who painstakingly built the foundation of the world’s highest grossing theme park resort ever. The Magic Kingdom is arguably Disney’s most valuable asset. It’s the gift that powers the other parks, cruise line, DVC, hotels, etc. But they won’t invest a little extra to treat it with respect.

What a sad sad statement on Disney...

No Name

The MK area is one of the most masterfully-designed places I’ve ever seen aesthetically, which, in my opinion, is an underrated reason as to why a theme park resort built in the middle of nowhere became such a huge success. Of course, I’ve explained multiple times how the Tron coaster building is very detrimental to that and will hurt the company financially.

EricsBiscuit

The point seems moot if you are comparing Matterhorn which was an enhancement to the standard of the time. The standards in that art direction are similar as point of referece Weenies, and it has grown to be better. The standard has progressed, but you are only as good as the most recent move, and Tron is not a step to increase the Standard.
Tron most definitely will be the best coaster at a Disney park in NA with the possible exception of EE. It’s not perfect but no project is.

RandySavage

There are two types of sightline intrusions.

1. A designed, on-show element visible from a different land. This is often an asset... an idiosyncrasy that can add to the charm of the park.

2. The 2nd is a utilitarian, real-world or backstage element (e.g., show warehouses, power lines, safety ropes). Seeing these detract from the experience.

Space Mountain from Fantasyland or Castle from Frontierland qualify as 1. Tron's box is non-show, IMO (it's cover, however, is on-show), so it's a number 2, and they should strive to conceal it from inside the park. The equivalent would be seeing the rear, unfinished side of Everest from Harambe.

Tron's building is a big reason why Shanghai's Toy Story Land is the least attractive land WDI has created since the original WDSP (which felt like a suburban office park).

Last edited:

Incomudro

There are two types of sightline intrusions.

1. A designed, on-show element visible from a different land. This is often an asset... an idiosyncrasy that can add to the charm of the park.

2. The 2nd is a utilitarian, real-world or backstage element (e.g., show warehouses, power lines, safety ropes). Seeing these detract from the experience.

Space Mountain from Fantasyland or Castle from Frontierland qualify as 1. Tron's box is non-show, IMO (it's cover, however, is on-show), so it's a number 2, and they should strive to conceal it from inside the park. The equivalent would be seeing the rear, unfinished side of Everest from Harambe.

Tron's building is a big reason why Shanghai's Toy Story Land is the least attractive land WDI has created since the original WDSP (which felt like a suburban office park).

Some good points, but it's not like seeing the unthemed side of Everst.
Seeing the unthemed side of EE is jarring because the structure is designed to look natural, and if you get a glimpse of the part that isn't it's jarring and takes you out of the element.
The Tron coaster is an entirely manmade thing in premise.
I'd rather not see the box either, but the idea that a sci-fi cycle goes through a box in a Tomorrow land isn't thematically upsetting.

Last edited:

DDLand

The MK area is one of the most masterfully-designed places I’ve ever seen aesthetically, which, in my opinion, is an underrated reason as to why a theme park resort built in the middle of nowhere became such a huge success. Of course, I’ve explained multiple times how the Tron coaster building is very detrimental to that and will hurt the company financially.
This is why so many feel profound loss at the direction Walt Disney World has taken. This was literally a journey to another world. Every turn hosted a new view to dazzle you. It was unreal. It was thrilling and the pacing was great. But little things have snowballed over decades.

At the gates of the Magic Kingdom, a massive bus park now greets visitors. The hotels are falling apart. The TTC is dismal and rotting. When I say rotting, I mean literally holes in the ceiling with nice mold. Trees have been removed all over the lake, exposing guests to unsightly views and over development. The developments occurring have been bland. The trees framing the castle have been removed. The parking lot trams have several non matching liveries. Areas of forests during the height of summer (when plant life should be its thickest) were devoid of proper foliage allowing guests the joys to see backstage from the monorail and train. There are hideous and not purpose built security stations. Paint is peeling in several areas, and much of it screams tired. Roads have been widened to allow ever more dense travel. I also will take a shot at the cartoony crap Astro Orbiter that rises above the Magic Kingdom's beautiful creations like the cartoony crap it is. The boats that take people across the lake are poorly maintained and often times you feel like an animal being corralled into a stockyard. The monorails stink and are falling apart. The monorails are also often down for extended periods. This is anecdotal, but they feel more and more spotty. During busy times Disney may rent generic buses to bus you from the TTC to the park entrance thus destroying the experience of arrival (upgrades to the beloved Monorail system to increase capacity are out of the question). The Polynesian Bungalows suck in their own right. Disney's hotel's are in beyond pathetic shape. Like they are laughably bad. Also backstage views of Grand Floridian and Poly are visible from the monorails (it's nice to see the dumpsters).

Then we can add Tron as the cherry on top!

Disney has lost the discipline to design a cohesive experience. Back when Walt Disney World opened, it took the coordination of teams working on transportation systems, the park, landscaping, water management teams (aka the guys that make sure the whole place doesn't flood), hotels, infrastructure, signage, lighting, etc. Everything fit together. It was one seamless experience. EPCOT Center, a massive project, they focused on seemingly mundane things like cohesive iconography and fonts across the park. Disney could never be that intentioned these days. Shanghai Disney (I know it was partly the government's fault) is a terribly designed resort. Things like consistent iconography and look and feel don't exist. Even the beloved Hong Kong Disneyland outer ring expansion feels oddly disjointed. Toy Story Land and Star Wars Galaxy's Edge loop will feel similar.

You're right. Tron will end up hurting financials. Fans and even executives seem to forget that they're in the business of storytelling. The more and more they turn Walt Disney World into a sprawling high density development, with no greater meaning, the less and less "magical it will become." The less the Magic Kingdom is a real place and a destination, and the more it's "just an amusement... I mean theme park," the less memorable or lovable it will be. They built this place on obsessive care and attention to detail.

Tron is a sign that they don't view the Magic Kingdom as unique or having any identity greater than just a theme park. The Magic Kingdom is one of the most beloved places on Earth, and anyone with discerning tastes can tell it's tired and falling apart. How do you kill the golden goose?

Show the world it's just another trashy amusement park...

Last edited:

Mike S

I'm hoping at least for a lot of spacey colorful stuff to go through
I do too. It looks exciting.
miL3SdDevN8chRqC83zSbL-1200-80.jpg

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Do Escalators Break Easily? Why are they used everywhere in the world if the "break easily"? that is just ridiculous.... It is purely a cost saving measure...

Yes, escalators, especially outdoor escalators are high maintenance and annoying beasts. They are used out of necessity without better alternatives, not necessarily because of preference.

rowrbazzle

These days the monorail, hotels, and park look pretty trashy IMO. Like humiliatingly bad. The Polynesian roof is travesty. The DVC component to Grand Floridian is an embarrassment. Oh, and don’t mind the crappy box we’re building. The aerial ramp they’ve built makes the arrival feel like a highway.

What's wrong with the Polynesian roof? In what way is the Grand Floridian DVC an embarrassment? I've only visited that one, but I hear almost universally rave reviews from members. We stayed at the Polynesian a couple times and it wasn't bad, much less humiliatingly bad. What did I miss?

I appreciated your comments on the park and arrival experience, but you kind of lost me here.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom