News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

yensidtlaw1969

It's called "evolution". The park will eventually have to break construction standards to accommodate for new attractions whether or not those standards fall in place and make an attraction blend into the scenery. For example, take a look at Tower of Terror at Hollywood Studios - the reason why it's designed the way it is so that it blends in with the architecture of Morocco at Epcot. If the construction standards did not call for such a design to be built like that, is that going to deter from your experience because ToT is designed differently than Morocco's architecture?

And, here's another question for you - how are you even worried about sight lines when you're at ground level anyways? You're going to be able to see what's in front of you anyways - not what's behind another attraction. So, if I'm walking around Frontierland at MK towards Splash Mountain and turn around - I don't think I'm going to see the "undisguised warehouse on the edge of the park" in Tomorrowland and don't even go there with the "view from atop Splash Mountain" because when I'm at the top of Splash, the only thing I care about is that drop. The buildings in the distance? Don't care.

Tomorrowland needs another thrill ride anyways to help with the wait times at Space Mountain. Tomorrowland has been in a state of status quo since the mid 90s. I mean, other than the removal of Alien Encounter (which was more of a thrill show than a ride), it would be cool to see Tomorrowland get a refresh/update for MK's 50th Anniversary. I know I'm pretty excited about Tron. :)
You didn't just make the point you think you did - the very fact that Morocco was considered when designing The Tower of Terror demonstrates the lengths to which they used to go to preserve the integrity of the parks. That we now have a massive blank warehouse towering over Future World is a testament to how far standards have fallen. The TRON show building will not be quite as intrusive, but it's the next worst thing when it comes to damaging the previously well-considered skyline of an existing park. It won't be visible from all points in the park, but it won't be disguised from many. Certainly the vistas from the Monorail and the Contemporary will also be forever changed, and not for the better. For a long time the worst you saw at MK was an errant roof from a high viewing angle, and a snippet of the Haunted Mansion show building if you knew where to look and were really looking.

I'm fine with TRON coming to Tomorrowland - I daresay I'm excited to ride it - but I won't pretend they're incorporating it into the park in a way that's up to the standards the company has set historically. Find me one part of the Splash Mountain show building that reveals itself from within the park - or even outside of it. The show building for TRON is a problem in Shanghai and evidence suggests they haven't taken to fixing it here.

You don't care about the great view of Cinderella Castle and the MK below from the top of Splash Mountain? That's meant to be part of the fun. Fine if you don't care, but it doesn't serve anything to dismiss those who do. I'd wager that most of us fell in love with the parks because of the choices made by the people who held projects to the highest standard they could rather than the choices made by the people who didn't. And these days Disney is capable of attaining higher standards than ever. They clearly went to great trouble building all that rockwork around Cars Land, Pandora, and Galaxy's Edge, so it's not like they can't show up when they want to.

No Name

It's premature to say it's going to "screw up the skyline and feel of the Magic Kingdom" when it hasn't even been built yet.

Also not sure how one coaster is going to ruin the entire park for you, but I feel bad for you if it does.

We know what height it’s going to be and know how it’s going to look from many angles already. It’s been modeled before. It’s certainly going to screw up the view of Space Mountain and that is in no way premature.

exactly -
tron's not for them... it's for you.

It doesn’t matter who the ride is for and not for and whatnot, it will subconsciously hurt every guest’s experience as they take the monorail to the park past Space Mountain.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

Let's just agree to disagree. Still, I don't know what the hang up is. Go to the park, forget the sight lines, and just enjoy the day. You'll be a happier person in the morning. :)
That you made up the complaint about being able to see the showbuilding from the ground in Frontierland is rather obvious.

Knowing the amount of care that goes into a design makes me happy.

wdwjmp239

That you made up the complaint about being able to see the showbuilding from the ground in Frontierland is rather obvious.

Knowing the amount of care that goes into a design makes me happy.

It was stated a few posts back that the sight lines were going to be ruined from on top of Splash Mountain and I'm saying, "Why should anyone care?" If you're so busy being focused on what's going on out in the distance on Splash, then you're kind of missing the ride itself. To me, I don't care. Tron is a ride. It's a new ride. I'm pretty pumped about it. But, understand that change is inevitable and Disney is just following a trend to keep guests entertained. Again....it's called "evolution."

smile

It doesn’t matter who the ride is for and not for and whatnot, it will subconsciously hurt every guest’s experience as they take the monorail to the park past Space Mountain.

perhaps... unless they're wrangling kids, concentrating on their finely tuned itinerary, or already enveloped in the magic 🤩
besides, those folks are already in the boat on ice, so unless they then loop back around and go home, good luck presenting concrete relevancy to the bonus-seekers that approved it

gs certainly won't take a hit, other than to talk somebody off a ledge because they waited three hours for a sixty second ride, but that's candy... long as it's after midday ;)

conditioning for lower standard has been going on for many years, so one would be hard pressed to show how offending the sensibilities of the diminishing few that haven't taken to it, whose opinions are often either suppressed or ignored, can even be considered a risk at this point... maybe a new figment plush and they won't even notice - a disappointing number of people disappointed they haven't just been able to revolve them out already

expecting course correction from disney parks, experiences, and consumer products at this juncture under it's current structure would be ill advised

😞

Animaniac93-98

But, understand that change is inevitable and Disney is just following a trend to keep guests entertained.

I hate to single you out in particular, but this kind of attitude does bother me a lot as both a fan and paying customer.

There's volumes of work written by people who worked for Walt, extensive documentary footage, a whole internet of articles, interviews and insight by people who were paid to spend their life's work shaping the craft of theme design, perspectives by people who have travelled the world comparing the works (past and present) of Disney and other companies and it's ALL completely ignored because for a number of "fans" literally any new attraction at Disney World is good enough because it's new and therefore fun. And fun things don't need to have that much thought put into them.

And if you question anything? You're a hater. Not a real fan. An idiot for thinking much about rides made for children who can't have fun. Have a concern about how these projects that cost HUNDREDS of MILLIONS of dollars turn out? Here's a strawman for how that opinion is for dummies. I mean really, anyone who has any criticism is incapable for appreciating what's there and just wants to be mean online. 🙄

This particular rant isn't about the Disney company, or its casual customers, it's about a group of self identified fans who have no interest in anything about the product except its most superficial qualities and how anyone who does is treated by them as an outlier with no respect, DESPITE the whole history and evolution of Disney employees who made the product what it is by caring about its potential. For how expensive this whole endeavor of attraction building is (both for the company and its customers) I do expect the people who have the decision making authority to care about the details and things I, the non-expert, wouldn't think about but make the experience the best it can possibly be.

/rant

EricsBiscuit

You didn't just make the point you think you did - the very fact that Morocco was considered when designing The Tower of Terror demonstrates the lengths to which they used to go to preserve the integrity of the parks. That we now have a massive blank warehouse towering over Future World is a testament to how far standards have fallen. The TRON show building will not be quite as intrusive, but it's the next worst thing when it comes to damaging the previously well-considered skyline of an existing park. It won't be visible from all points in the park, but it won't be disguised from many. Certainly the vistas from the Monorail and the Contemporary will also be forever changed, and not for the better. For a long time the worst you saw at MK was an errant roof from a high viewing angle, and a snippet of the Haunted Mansion show building if you knew where to look and were really looking.

I'm fine with TRON coming to Tomorrowland - I daresay I'm excited to ride it - but I won't pretend they're incorporating it into the park in a way that's up to the standards the company has set historically. Find me one part of the Splash Mountain show building that reveals itself from within the park - or even outside of it. The show building for TRON is a problem in Shanghai and evidence suggests they haven't taken to fixing it here.

You don't care about the great view of Cinderella Castle and the MK below from the top of Splash Mountain? That's meant to be part of the fun. Fine if you don't care, but it doesn't serve anything to dismiss those who do. I'd wager that most of us fell in love with the parks because of the choices made by the people who held projects to the highest standard they could rather than the choices made by the people who didn't. And these days Disney is capable of attaining higher standards than ever. They clearly went to great trouble building all that rockwork around Cars Land, Pandora, and Galaxy's Edge, so it's not like they can't show up when they want to.
Yeah and you used to be able to ride the skyway and see all sorts of ridiculous backstage views while at the same time ruining sight lines across FL and TL.

matt9112

The launch is very thrilling...... the rest of the outdoor portion is a throwaway... just done to look cool from outside but adds nothing to the experience. The ride would be better had the entire thing been withing the interior TRON grid...
It's a fun ride... It is just not as amazing as I was anticipating... we did go on it 4 times in a row...so it was certainly fun.

launch coasters are everywhere now though....im not trying to downplay it i just think i owuld have rather have the theater in MK. or anything else that eats people. coasters tend to have poor capacity.

sedati

Disney used to set the trend...

Now people like you advocate that 'just following the trend' is justification. Well... that's what gets you this :)
View attachment 389548
Well, they didn't build it, but here's a John Hench sketch of a Mickey Hotel proposed in the eighties.

sedati

Oh, please don't mistake my criticism of those designs as criticism of his entire body of work. Not every design can be a hit. Heck, for all we know he was told "design a hotel that's shaped like Mickey Mouse".
I believe Eisner had asked for a giant Mickey in the style of the Colossus of Rhodes straddling World Drive. Hench simplified it, but still...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom