News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

KikoKea

KikoKea I think that Tron Lightcycle will be my favorite ride at the Magic Kingdom. Awesome!
it's great having something to look forward to, isn't it! I'm hoping it will be fun. SDMT did not turn out better than Space Mt as a coaster, although it is a cool ride, for sure, and I'm thinking Tron will be the same. I love my dark rides, though. ;)

the_rich

No, it definitely needs it's track torn down and replaced even if they put in an exact replica. Go on Dl's Space mountain and then Wdw's, completely different experience. In wdw the ride brakes constantly to compensate for the old track. In Dl it has the same sharp turns but the ride is smooth. Plus in Dl because it doesn't have all the brake stops you feel like you are going much fast than 30mph. Wdw's is an embarrassment at this point and they need to replace it before they have the same issue that Dl had.

HoldenC

I'm confused as to why it is taking this long to build a roller coaster 🤔 this should have been opened a year after it was announced. Same with Guardians

Timothy_Q

I'm confused as to why it is taking this long to build a roller coaster 🤔 this should have been opened a year after it was announced. Same with Guardians
People have such a hard time understanding this very basic concept.

Disney intentionally builds slowly to spread the cost throughout many years.
It doesn't matter if the ride is "simple", it'll most likely take 3 years cause Disney has no interest in building fast

Marlins1

No, it definitely needs it's track torn down and replaced even if they put in an exact replica. Go on Dl's Space mountain and then Wdw's, completely different experience. In wdw the ride brakes constantly to compensate for the old track. In Dl it has the same sharp turns but the ride is smooth. Plus in Dl because it doesn't have all the brake stops you feel like you are going much fast than 30mph. Wdw's is an embarrassment at this point and they need to replace it before they have the same issue that Dl had.
The brakes were the last straw - ruined the best parts of the ride.

Marlins1

So many downgrades over the years though - I remember working your way from the back of the switchbacks and looking up at the glowing cars and projections - tons of anticipation. Nothing to see now from the queue or the PeopleMover

GlacierGlacier

Neither of these projects could ever take only a year. The ground prep alone would take months at least on each, followed by the sizable show building construction and tedious effects installation and programming.

The only ride I know of scale that was built in less than a year was Transformers, and that's because it was an exact clone. Tron, as close as it is, is not exact to Shanghai's construction. Transformers was pretty much exact, down to the same flaws they experienced during the first construction.

Transformers is a relatively small show building when compared to these two, and is not a coaster.

Even comparing it to Hagrid's is disingenuous, as Hagrid's is mostly outdoors with one new and one repurposed building. And Hagrid's took (at most) approximately 2 years.

GlacierGlacier

Whatever. Keep lying to yourself. SeaWorld is opening a new coaster next year (that will once again blow any "coaster" Disney has out of the water) INCLUDING land prep; which is happening now. So kindly back off with your "iT tAkEs TiMe To bUiLd a CoAsTeR" crap
Any coaster can be built relatively quickly. We've seen how fast the steel's gone up for Tron.

The slow part is show-buildings, set scenes, and heavy themeing. That's what takes time for Disney - and even some universal - coasters.

nickys

Premium Member
Whatever. Keep lying to yourself. SeaWorld is opening a new coaster next year (that will once again blow any "coaster" Disney has out of the water) INCLUDING land prep; which is happening now. So kindly back off with your "iT tAkEs TiMe To bUiLd a CoAsTeR" crap

Why did you feel the need to tell him to back off? He posted a simple reply, yet you come out in full-on personal attack mode.

peter11435

It is the same broken record with you people: Disney can never do any wrong...even when they waste time building a coaster. Oh well.
Its nobody else’s fault that you don’t understand the different complexities of various projects.

Could tron and guardians be built quicker than their current timeline? Yes. They absolutely could.

Could they be built in a year? No.

Coasters theme-selves are cheap and easy. Will the sea world attraction be anywhere near the scale of the tron or guardians projects? No.

Also there is a huge difference in land prep between the site at sea world and what is largely undeveloped swamp land that is the tron and guardians sites.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
download (3).jpeg

justintheharris

It should only take a third of the time that Disney spends. Look how quickly the Hagrid coaster, with many more show scenes and complexities than Tron, was up and running from the time that Dragon Challenge closed. Disney drags their feet in order to spend as little money as possible by purposely and slowly stretching construction through as many fiscal years as possible.
Did it occur to you that Disney is building Star Wars land, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, a skyliner system, new hotels and more all while trying to construct Tron? Universal had nothing to focus on other than Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. Reminder before you reply: a third theme park is not officially confirmed nor is the Jurassic park roller coaster.

T.Will

Did it occur to you that Disney is building Star Wars land, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Ratatouille, Guardians of the Galaxy, a skyliner system, new hotels and more all while trying to construct Tron? Universal had nothing to focus on other than Hagrid's Motorbike Adventure. Reminder before you reply: a third theme park is not officially confirmed nor is the Jurassic park roller coaster.
Not to mention, most of Hagrid's is trees, which is easier than a big show building with intricate lighting effects and projections. Could Disney build faster? Possibly. But building a ride like Tron is inherently long and arduous.

peter11435

It should only take a third of the time that Disney spends. Look how quickly the Hagrid coaster, with many more show scenes and complexities than Tron, was up and running from the time that Dragon Challenge closed. Disney drags their feet in order to spend as little money as possible by purposely and slowly stretching construction through as many fiscal years as possible.
It could be done quicker. However a third is absurd.

Again it must be pointed out that unlike Hagrid, Tron was announced long before construction actually began. Also Hagrid went into already developed land that required significantly less ground prep. Tron required rerouting waterways and stabilizing former wet lands and water. All before actual construction could even begin.

There are several reasons why disney takes longer than necessary for these projects and not all of them are financially based. But dragging the project out doesn’t actually lower the overall price tag. In fact it makes the overall cost of the project higher.

MaximumEd

I love to see people who probably couldn’t build a small deck off the back of their house make absolute comments about how long a giant and complex structure should take to build. For the record, no, I don’t build theme park rides, but am occasionally involved with fairly large infrastructure projects. Bottom line is that large, complex projects are time consuming and expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom