News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Bleed0range

I’m not dissing it.... I’m just not overly excited about it. I’m not against it, and yes it may surprise me and be more fun than I think. Hey a fun, smooth coaster with on board audio and cool lighting effects does sound fun!

Well, I wouldn’t be excited about Rock n Roller Coaster if it was being built now but it’s one of my favorite rides at DHS. This ride will probably be more fun to ride than it is to get hyped about. It looks pretty fun to me.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, June 1, 2019.

IMG_1383.JPG

doctornick

i'm just curious how well you'll be able to see the canopy and coaster running from elsewhere in TL. That seems like one of the best qualities of the ride - the kinetics and lights, especially at night. Outside of being on the Speedway, I feel like there will be better views from the circus than most of TL.

Lensman

I mean, I like the actual coaster track construction aspect of these photos, but I also became aware that I was spending more time looking at the giant piles of dirt in the foreground and trying to figure out whether they were there to be used elsewhere or whether they were serving for ground compaction where they were sitting. Since I only learned of the technique for using giant piles of dirt for ground compaction here on the forums, I will forever associate the technique with these forums. Hence, whenever I see a giant pile of dirt, I will think of these forums.

They're building a new strip mall a couple of blocks from my sister's place. I spend a lot of time visiting her, so we've been following the construction closely since it meant the demolition of our favorite Chinese restaurant and we've also talk about what new stores are going to open up. Recently, she was telling me that there aren't any big holes in the ground anymore, but instead there are just these giant piles of dirt lying around and she thought it was pointless. I told her that they might be for ground compaction, something I only knew because of you folks!

azox

Since the tron project was announced, its been in the back of my mind about that being the plan all along.

While it's a thought in many peoples minds, I like to think it won't happen.

Space mountains ride capacity looks to be 1800-2000 people per hour which is one of the higher ones in the MK. Considering the ride is almost never a walk on, then it's doing the job it is supposed to do and is still a major draw for guests.

If they are trying to grow overall capacity, then it would be counterproductive to toss such a large people eating attraction out. Space mountain is a proven attraction with solid throughput and guest demand in the Magic Kingdom. If they were planning to retrack the ride back in 2010, then lots of the prework has already been done and paid for. Things like track replacement strategy, building evaluation, track design work and cost estimates would have already been done. I think they are just spreading the cost out over a few years. Once Tron is up and running Space Mountain will go dark for a bit while they refresh the track. Who knows, maybe can get some animated props while they are in there too :)

Here is to hoping we see space mountain go another 44+ years with Tron right next to it :)

JBIRDTO

While it's a thought in many peoples minds, I like to think it won't happen.

Space mountains ride capacity looks to be 1800-2000 people per hour which is one of the higher ones in the MK. Considering the ride is almost never a walk on, then it's doing the job it is supposed to do and is still a major draw for guests.

If they are trying to grow overall capacity, then it would be counterproductive to toss such a large people eating attraction out. Space mountain is a proven attraction with solid throughput and guest demand in the Magic Kingdom. If they were planning to retrack the ride back in 2010, then lots of the prework has already been done and paid for. Things like track replacement strategy, building evaluation, track design work and cost estimates would have already been done. I think they are just spreading the cost out over a few years. Once Tron is up and running Space Mountain will go dark for a bit while they refresh the track. Who knows, maybe can get some animated props while they are in there too :)

Here is to hoping we see space mountain go another 44+ years with Tron right next to it :)
I just cannot believe they would consider removing this iconic structure. When I was a kid it was so intimidating when I would refuse to go on it. Now when I see it I get excited and cannot wait to experience it even in its poor state. Unless the actual building was structurally compromised I just can't see this happening.

TrainsOfDisney

Well we know space mountain needs to be gutted and rebuilt. Presumably it would be rebuilt Disneyland-style. What’s the difference between the Disneyland space mountain and the Tron coaster? Sure the bikes and the outdoor section but we are talking about very similar experiences, it doesn’t make sense to have them side by side does it?

What does make sense is to build Tron and have them run side by side for the 50th and then suddenly say “oh wow, space mountain has reached its end of safe operation, good thing we got Tron here...”

Jones14

Well we know space mountain needs to be gutted and rebuilt. Presumably it would be rebuilt Disneyland-style. What’s the difference between the Disneyland space mountain and the Tron coaster? Sure the bikes and the outdoor section but we are talking about very similar experiences, it doesn’t make sense to have them side by side does it?

What does make sense is to build Tron and have them run side by side for the 50th and then suddenly say “oh wow, space mountain has reached its end of safe operation, good thing we got Tron here...”
To be fair, a proper revamp of Space Mountain could incorporate new theming to further differentiate the two. As far as the coaster experience by itself goes, I’d argue Space Mountain is closer to Big Thunder than it is TRON as it stands.

doctornick

Sure, other than the things that make them completely different experiences, they are the same. :rolleyes:

This argument has been played out on here, but I still don't see it. They are indoor (mostly) roller coasters. Other than that, they really aren't similar:

1. Obviously the difference in seating is dramatic
2. Outdoor portion versus completely inside
3. Well lit indoors versus largely in the dark (creating a sensory deprivation experience)
4. launch versus lift hill

And there is clearly distinct music and themes. One thing that interestingly is similar between Tron and DL's Space is the load area where you take ramps down to the platform and can see load from above - though that isn't that case with WDW's Space Mtn.

To me, the two rides seem as similar as complaining about having dark rides like Snow White/Toad/Pinocchio next to each other in Fantasyland in DL. I mean, they are similar but still quite different.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom