News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Incomudro

Actually, TRON is the guinea pig for Guardians effect wise. Some effects are directly linked to Guardians. See Soarin >> FoP.
[/QUOTE]

There are going to be far more effects in Guardians than Tron though.
Guardians has the whole cue, which will have AA's, and the ride building itself will have screens.

GlacierGlacier

Guardians has the whole cue, which will have AA's, and the ride building itself will have screens.
Sorry, I've seen you make this oops a few times. "Cue" refers to the implement used in pool or something used to trigger something else (e.g. "That's my cue"). "Queue" is a line, where the first item in is the first item out. This is what you experience in theme parks (for the most part).

Timothy_Q

The old Imagineers would have used this opportunity to switch the cars out for electic cars with futuristic lighting similar to the lightcycles...they would have also routed it through the TRON show building so that even the youngsters not big enough for tron would get a feel for being in the environment...it would also add another kinetic element to the "Players Grid" Show room... but instead it will be a slightly smaller track and a little less interesting...and a 50 year old vehicle system...yay.
New imagineers would do this too.
They aren't in charge of these decisions tho

Take Tokyo, where they actually get big budgets for everything, imagineers removed the entire speedway and built a brand new E-ticket dark ride, an enclosed theater and a whole new mini land.

So they obviously have amazing plans, they're just not being approved in the american parks

Last edited:

Flynnwriter

Everyone relax. Tron is an amazing ride and wdw is getting the exact one from Shanghai. The queue is incredible and the art direction is stellar. Will is ruin space mountain’s iconic presence on the horizon? big time, but with space mountain’s ancient tracks, it will be out of commission for at least 18 months.

The bigger question is, how do you justify and polluting, noisy, ugly and dated Autopia and the setting for Tron? That should be what everyone should focus on.

Last edited:

rreading

I get what your saying here but fail to understand how any of this matters when we are talking specifically about ticketed gated parks.

Yes, WDW has many more (paid) options but the value you receive for admission to the parks in Disneyland vs. the the value you receive in WDW isn't even close. To me, them spreading the same attractions across 4 different parks and charging 4 different admissions is a bad thing for consumers.

I mean what? People get to pay more and walk more for the same thing in a state where the cost of doing business is lower?

I agree with you a lot of the time on a lot of things but I agree with the other guy here: There should be way more rides across 4 individually paid ticketed gates than 2 and the fact that it's almost the same says something. I don't see how there is any way of looking at it and saying that particular something is good.

Yes, WDW parks have more shows but do we really want to bring up things like the horribly dated Little Mermaid and B&TB or the Disney/Pixar Animation Festival in Epcot... along with whatever you want to call that thing they just opened across the former Animation Courtyard and talk about them as WDW advantages?

Sorry but it feels like a real stretch, to me.

I assume that you've visited both resorts. To me, I feel that I get more of my money's worth at WDW and, while it's busy, DL has seemed more crowded to me. And we do enjoy the other offerings at WDW. Were we in it for just thrill rides, we would go to Six Flags. The experience of the resort (including things like Impressions de France) is what keeps us coming back to WDW even though we are DVC members of the Grand Californian.

lazyboy97o

New imagineers would do this too.
They aren't in charge of these decisions tho

Take Tokyo, where they actually get big budgets for everything, imagineers removed the entire speedway and built a brand new E-ticket dark ride, an enclosed theater and a whole new mini land.

So they obviously have amazing plans, they're just not being approved in the american parks
Walt Disney Imagineering gets big budgets for the domestic parks. The amount of money made available is not a limiting factor.

GlacierGlacier

... The cue is incredible ...
🙃
Sorry, I've seen you make this oops a few times. "Cue" refers to the implement used in pool or something used to trigger something else (e.g. "That's my cue"). "Queue" is a line, where the first item in is the first item out. This is what you experience in theme parks (for the most part).

lazyboy97o

The GotG coaster has a ridiculous budget, according to out insiders, and it got approved.

The point is, blaming Imagineers for what projects do and don't get approved shows a complete misunderstanding of how Disney works
You’re taking one point of the process and ignoring the larger context. Walt Disney Imagineering is very much to blame because they cannot get projects done for a reasonable amount of money. Project Sausalito doesn’t disprove that. It’s very much part of a larger pattern of withholding investment as long as possible and then focusing on large marquee projects. Small projects like more frequently updating a simple ride don’t make sense because the Imagineers are unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money.

ToTBellHop

You’re taking one point of the process and ignoring the larger context. Walt Disney Imagineering is very much to blame because they cannot get projects done for a reasonable amount of money. Project Sausalito doesn’t disprove that. It’s very much part of a larger pattern of withholding investment as long as possible and then focusing on large marquee projects. Small projects like more frequently updating a simple ride don’t make sense because the Imagineers are unable to do so for a reasonable amount of money.
Exactly. And more acutely the budget cuts that we bemoan are a direct result of WDIs inability to control costs.

Last edited:

Timothy_Q

So executives' decisions to spend billions on MDE, DVCs and misplaced attractions that don't expand park capacity (and in some cases actively decrease it), disregard park and land theming, while also refusing to do basic upkeep of older attractions and effects that haven't worked in years, it's all Imagineers faults?

That's funny, because these same Imagineers work on the Tokyo parks, and their parks don't have any of these problems.

lazyboy97o

So executives' decisions to spend billions on MDE, DVCs and misplaced attractions that don't expand park capacity (and in some cases actively decrease it), disregard park and land theming, while also refusing to do basic upkeep of older attractions and effects that haven't worked in years, it's all Imagineers faults?

That's funny, because these same Imagineers work on the Tokyo parks, and their parks don't have any of these problems.
It’s not the sole problem, but it most definitely plays a large role. The Pressler model and micromanaging specifically came out of controlling costs and would be less justified if such massive sums were not involved. Every new attraction is a larger cost, representing a greater risk that has to be more of a sure thing so that it can meet ever rising performance expectations. Tokyo has also very much seen a lack of investment and a change to just repeating the same few franchises. Tokyo DisneySEA is getting a Fantasyland with water poured all over it so that it has a shallow water connection to the park.

Bocabear

It’s not the sole problem, but it most definitely plays a large role. The Pressler model and micromanaging specifically came out of controlling costs and would be less justified if such massive sums were not involved. Every new attraction is a larger cost, representing a greater risk that has to be more of a sure thing so that it can meet ever rising performance expectations. Tokyo has also very much seen a lack of investment and a change to just repeating the same few franchises. Tokyo DisneySEA is getting a Fantasyland with water poured all over it so that it has a shallow water connection to the park.
I keep wondering where the risk is? They have theme parks that continue to perform even with non working effects and multiple shuttered attractions...the guest numbers climb any time they do anything new no matter how lame...almost anything including a cupcake party can be seen as a success... so exactly where is the risk? If they do anything it is going to be successful in some way. I don't believe risk plays any role...It's just a lack of willingness to invest back into the parks instead of stock buybacks and upper tier executive bonuses.

lazyboy97o

I keep wondering where the risk is? They have theme parks that continue to perform even with non working effects and multiple shuttered attractions...the guest numbers climb any time they do anything new no matter how lame...almost anything including a cupcake party can be seen as a success... so exactly where is the risk? If they do anything it is going to be successful in some way. I don't believe risk plays any role...It's just a lack of willingness to invest back into the parks instead of stock buybacks and upper tier executive bonuses.
We are talking about an organization that went into an all out panic last fall because they were forecasting a dip in quarterly bookings and attendance. It’s all a risk because leadership doesn’t understand why theme parks work as a business, why people go to them in the first place. They’ve been convinced that it does require spending but Walt Disney Imagineering has completely squandered that change.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom