News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I sure get David1111's point...and I do not understand why TDO continues to be so cheap with their additions while they are the most visited theme park resort on the planet.

His comparison was inaccurate. When someone provided accurate details, he flipped out. He also said DLR was receiving more investment than WDW. Considering the amount Disney is currently investing in WDW, I have a believing this is accurate as well. If he wants to debate whether the current investment happening in WDW is good, bad, mixed...that is another story.

ImperfectPixie

I think David1111 is just saying MK park should have just as many if not more E tickets than DL park. As a whole WDW has more e tickets than DLR. However comparing the two castle parks, its heavily skewed towards DL. Even more with Galaxy's Edge coming online. There is a reason attractions like the JC and POTC sport hour long queues on even moderate days at the MK. Its because there are less attractions to soak up the crowds. DL offers a lot more non e ticket attractions like the Canoes, Storybook Land Canal Boats, Alice in Wonderland to help evenly distribute the crowds. There's no reason for JC to sport an hour wait even on less busy days (even though it is popular). Its because there are less attractions to pull guests too. DL's JC is popular too but rarely sport an hour long queue.
DL doesn't have the mess that is FP+ either.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
You can count the E tickets and you can count the attractions, but the fact remains that Walt Disney World should have WAY more rides and attractions than the smaller half-scale park on the other side of the country...

No. Not really.

That's only true if you only focus on rides and not the full gamut of attractions.

WDW has World Showcase, and a zoo, and more shows and attractions that dwarf Anaheim. Not to mention catering to resort-vacationing including high end resort amenities, golf, watersports, two water parks, high-end pools, tons of food options, three times the big night shows, a much larger 'downtown,' etc...

Orlando is just one or two rides less than Anaheim, but several more E-Tickets and just of ton more other type of attractions. Assuming WDW should have twice the rides because they have twice the parks is a huge misunderstanding of what WDW is.

imarc

I think WDW is also a victim of it's year round international visitor base.

It's always been easier to kick the can down the road rather than upgrade because:

1) You have a lot of first time visitors that aren't looking for something new.
2) Those same first time visitors are angry when their once-in-a-lifetime trip coincides with major construction or a revamp of a popular attraction.

It also has more catching up to do because of the economic downturn more than a decade ago. They couldn't fix all 4 parks at once. Not just because of the capital expense but because attendance would take a hit. Do you think DHS would have still be pulling in the attendance that it has recently if those people weren't already coming for the other parks?

Bocabear

His comparison was inaccurate. When someone provided accurate details, he flipped out. He also said DLR was receiving more investment than WDW. Considering the amount Disney is currently investing in WDW, I have a believing this is accurate as well. If he wants to debate whether the current investment happening in WDW is good, bad, mixed...that is another story.
Remember that DHS was down to 5 rides and then 4 when the Great Movie Ride opened... now it is back to 6 which is still WAY too few for a park of it's size....the building they are doing is absolutely necessary. Aside from the Fantasyland Forest makeover, our Magic Kindom has seen no substantial improvements in decades... Seems like Disneyland has had more thought and investment... Which again is surprising considering the volume of guests we get at WDW... We still do not have any real representation of Toontown or Carsland among other things. They got the upgraded special effects for Big Thunder along with DLP, we did not. Their Galaxy's Edge will open before ours... Hard to not feel like WDW is the red headed step child at times.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Seems like Disneyland has had more thought and investment.

Thought? Maybe. Until they decided to put SW into DL.

Investment? Maybe in the past. Not recently.

Really, I am not looking to debate the past or current mistakes at WDW...or go through another WDW/DL comparison. I only commented because his post had inaccuracies and for the way he reacted when he was called on them.

Mike730

When comparing the current progress of MK's Tron compared to pics taken during Shanghai's Tron construction, it looks like these two helixes (circled in yellow) are ready to be put in place .

Also, notice how our red crane is placed similarly to Shanghai's yellow crane.
View attachment 371141
Here's the layout for the coaster for reference:
I circled the same 2 helixes in yellow.
View attachment 371142

Can someone put this track^^^ on this aerial? vvv

Dy6kkUaVYAAdRF5.jpg:large

imarc

WDW also has other infrastructure issues that were put off as well, specifically transportation.

Disney Springs renovation/expansion, new roads, skyliner, etc. were all sorely needed and make more sense to have in place before adding park capacity that would strain the infrastructure even more.

"People eaters" shouldn't just apply to a ride's capacity, but to keep those visitors engaged the entire time they are on property.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
and that is the point... With our numbers at WDW we should be getting more attractions...the newest and the biggest and the best...

Well, it does, with all the other non-ride attractions and amenities.

And WDW is being overrun because of its popularity, especially the MK.

In order to pull people out of the MK and into the parks than can soak up the crowds, WDW is putting in lots of E-Tickets in the other parks (and one more in MK for its 50th). It's in all these E-Tickets that shows that Disney is starting to do the extra investment in WDW over Anaheim. By 2022, WDW will have 5 more E-Tickets than Anaheim. And you know how much Disney can overspend on just one E-Ticket!

And not only that, but lots of huge infrastructure: Skyliner, dedicated bus lanes, remodeling of all resort rooms, revamping all the entrances, whatever they're doing with the Epcot spine, new night shows, big 50th celebration, keep upgrading (the hated) MDE with new services, SW Resort. WDW is spending now tons more in Orlando than anywhere else.

lazyboy97o

It doesn’t matter how one wants to make lists. Walt Disney World’s parks all have an attractions per guest per hour count that has intentionally been driven below industry standards. Investment now is about desperately trying to avoid the many consequences but not reversing that general goal of fewer attractions.

RaveOnEd

Is the Walt Disney World Railroad going through Tron lightcycle power run ride?
It looks like the WDWRR will be running under the walkways that are the entries to the Tron ride. The track is being updated with new sections (since it's not in operation now, may as well!) and the locomotives have a chance to finish their turns at Strasburg being refurbished.

As far as I know, it's not known if there will be a tunnel for the train to run through (with some form of show or diorama in it), or if it will be running through a couple berms instead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom