News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

azox

There’s a proposal to overlay the speedway with Tron theming pre fall 2021. But no indoor areas as far as I know.

Edit. Beaten to it by my own rumour.

Does an overlay imply new electric vehicles? or would this mean putting stickers on the cars to make them look tron like?

Lensman

Does an overlay imply new electric vehicles? or would this mean putting stickers on the cars to make them look tron like?
@marni1971 has said that there are plans for new electric vehicles, but I suspect that this is just an option in the Tron retheming of the Speedway. In other words it's an option to an option.

It would make sense to convert to electric vehicles in a Tron retheme because I think the noise and smell from the Honda GX engines would break the immersion.

I hope (in vain, probably) that they come up with some technology embedded in the speedway to implement light ribbons. It would be even more impressive if you derez a little if you overrun the light ribbon of the car ahead of you. It's definitely too much to ask but I'd also love to see some kind of trackless technology so you have more freedom of movement on the track but also have more gentle feedback to stay on track instead of just "hitting the (slot) wall".

Last edited:

WDWFREAK53

They could easily kill two birds with one stone here.

Tron entrance goes through the arcade through a "portal" on the right.
A secondary "portal" is off to the left which takes you to Game Central Station. The speedway is closed in and it becomes a Wreck-It-Ralph attraction like MMRR with Ralph "driving" the traincar. The seats face sideways and you shoot at the vintage video games on the screens that surround you (like Kong...both sides and above) (ie, Centipede, Space Invaders, Pac-Man). The final scene has Vanellope in a race and the screens give you the sensation as if you're moving as fast as she is while shooting at the obstacles to stop the other racers from winning.

It would be a nice "transition" attraction from Tomorrowland and Fantasyland.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Oriolesmagic

I won't say this about much in the Disney theme parks, but the Tomorrowland Speedway is one of those attractions where the park would immediately be better following its removal. While not preferred, I don't even think a replacement needs to be immediately on the table.

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I hope the Speedway does not get the Tron overlay. Ideally, that speeds up the time table of its eventual removal.

Bender123

I won't say this about much in the Disney theme parks, but the Tomorrowland Speedway is one of those attractions where the park would immediately be better following its removal. While not preferred, I don't even think a replacement needs to be immediately on the table.

Not sure if I'm in the minority here, but I hope the Speedway does not get the Tron overlay. Ideally, that speeds up the time table of its eventual removal.

I, personally, find no value in it, but kids love it. When I was a kid, it was the closest I could get to "driving" a car and my daughters were the same way.

Oriolesmagic

I, personally, find no value in it, but kids love it. When I was a kid, it was the closest I could get to "driving" a car and my daughters were the same way.

And I'm definitely not discounting that.

I just also think there were some kids who loved Stitch's Great Escape because it was the closest they could get to being with Stitch. But that doesn't make it the best experience that could be fit into that area. Speedway is no different.

jt04

And I'm definitely not discounting that.

I just also think there were some kids who loved Stitch's Great Escape because it was the closest they could get to being with Stitch. But that doesn't make it the best experience that could be fit into that area. Speedway is no different.

But a Tron racer attraction would at least fit thematically. And if made an indoor attraction, something could go on the roof. Event space, concert stage, another attraction etc.

Fireworks desert parties, parade viewing are also possibilities. IMO.

Oriolesmagic

But a Tron racer attraction would at least fit thematically. And if made an indoor attraction, something could go on the roof. Event space, concert stage, another attraction etc.

Fireworks desert parties, parade viewing are also possibilities. IMO.

An indoor attraction is a completely different ballgame. There's no noise issues, no smell issues, and ideally, you'd have a more visibly appealing attraction.

According to @marni1971 though, that doesn't appear to currently be in the plans for the Speedway though. So I was just sticking to what I assume we'd be getting.

Monorail_Red_77

An indoor attraction is a completely different ballgame. There's no noise issues, no smell issues, and ideally, you'd have a more visibly appealing attraction.

According to @marni1971 though, that doesn't appear to currently be in the plans for the Speedway though. So I was just sticking to what I assume we'd be getting.
Careful... Guardian of the Galaxy thinks it is visually appealing too. I'd be worried some Interns might get involved again, like with Toy Story Land.

LOL

Oriolesmagic

On the inside it probably will be which is what I think @Oriolesmagic was talking about.

Well, that's why I initially threw the "Ideally" in there. You're right about what I was mainly referring to but, "ideally", you would have both the inside AND the outside be aesthetically pleasing.

Unfortunately, while it's not been common recently, it's not like this is an unprecedented ask.

Monorail_Red_77

On the inside it probably will be which is what I think @Oriolesmagic was talking about.
Yes, I'm sure it will be great on the inside. I just couldn't resist the comment given the Disney Build-A-Box: Unthemed Edition climate as of late. LOLnotLOL we should expect them to theme building inside and out. They are Disney, should be a given.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom