News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

MrPromey

I keep looking at that concept art and how the speedway comes right up to Tron and how the train goes under it and then noticing how the people mover will be viewing it at a distance and thinking how much of a lost opportunity that feels like.

I know thinking they'd invest in extending that track further to do some kind of a pass through that building is crazy-talk and that really, in a lot of ways, we are lucky they weren't able to screw ours up the way they did Disneyland's. I get that it essentially takes up no additional land that could be used for a shop, restaurant or anything else retail and that the way it integrates into all of the structures, it would be more trouble to rip out than just keep which may be the main reason it's lasted all these years but it's still a family favorite and in recent years, has had a line extending well beyond the extended queue every time we've been.

I get that since they can't be bothered to update the one or two minor unique show scenes this ride has that there was no way they were ever going to plus it by adding another 3 minutes of track-time but it would have been cool and a nice way to get a little extra mileage out of that new attraction build that would have benefited both the crowds who won't be able to get a fastpass or wait in the lines to ride for the first decade it's there and for those with children/adults who can't ride it. Just maybe, it might have expanded capacity on this family-friendly attraction which on some days, along with the park as a whole, could really use it. :(

Last edited:

Brooklin Disney Dad

Would’ve liked for them to redo speedway with the Cars theme, since I imagine speedway will be shut down anyways during some of the construction. Happy for new rides, but the style of ride continues to repeat as Disney continues to avoid thrill rides. GOTG looks like it will mirror RNR, FOW mirrors Soarin. Kids are getting older and itching for some thrill but we still enjoy everything else about Disney.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Would’ve liked for them to redo speedway with the Cars theme, since I imagine speedway will be shut down anyways during some of the construction. Happy for new rides, but the style of ride continues to repeat as Disney continues to avoid thrill rides. GOTG looks like it will mirror RNR, FOW mirrors Soarin. Kids are getting older and itching for some thrill but we still enjoy everything else about Disney.

Disney is never going to do thrill rides on the level you can get at Six Flags or other regional park. Tron will be a trill ride by Disney standard. GotG and RNR are both indoor coasters but that's where the similarity will end. FOW?, I assume you mean Flight of Passage. Have you ridden it? Yes, both are in front of large screens, but beyond that they are very different experiences.

Monorail_Red_77

In my world that is also central Florida. I include the coasts. ⛵
Yes me too. I live on Space Coast FL. Some refer to it as East Central Florida and Tamp as West Central Florida so they known you are referring to each coast. Generally Florida is cut into North, Central, South by most people. Others get fancy and say North, North West or Panhandle, South, South West, etc.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Disney was never about thrill rides. You have Universal, Busch Gardens and Sea World for that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes me too. I live on Space Coast FL. Some refer to it as East Central Florida and Tamp as West Central Florida so they known you are referring to each coast. Generally Florida is cut into North, Central, South by most people. Others get fancy and say North, North West or Panhandle, South, South West, etc.

Just don’t get caught cruising in “south central”...

...you’ll get eaten by a gator 🐊

JoeCamel

I haven't seen any permits for this project and based on it's location I would think it would need South Florida Water Management District approval. Those permits are usually filed at least several months before actual construction begins.
Did you ever see a SWFTMD permit for the south area next to the tracks or are my search skills lacking as usual?
Thanks and ignore me if this has been posted elsewhere.

Sorry, I didn't realize SWFWMD wasn't the controlling body for this area. SWFMD is. If you have seen the water management permit or could direct me to it I would appreciate it.

ETA: I found it in your permit thread from last year. Thank you again for doing that work.

Last edited:
I would think the walkway will return in some fashion- perhaps widened- after Tron construction is finished. At least I hope so. @marni1971 Any knowledge on the fate of the walkway?
If the concept art is any indication, the walkway will eventually be integrated into the Tron entrance area under the canopy, probably continuing into Fantasyland like the old one.

TraderSam

4 reasons I like the addition of TRON:

1. ) Another new E-Ticket in MK
  2. ) I love Daft Punk's music
  3. ) It should allow Disney finally close and rebuild Space Mountain properly
  4. ) It will add a lot of futuristic aesthetic appeal to Tomorrowland that I hope the rest of the land will be more cohesive later on with it.

I really hope they bring the Shanghai Tomorrowland music by BT to MK’s Tomorrowland. That light show video on YouTube is amazing, and it has the perfect vibe for futurism. I’d love to see some similar atmospheric music and renovation go in EPCOT as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom