News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Daveeeeed

Load times for many Disney attractions have gotten quite bad for some rides. Seven Dwarves Mine Train in Shanghai was more efficient than at the Magic Kingdom, but then you have this factor: you have a lot less guests that require assistance entering and exiting the rides at the Asian parks.

The omnimover capacity numbers must be a shell of what they used to be: if you're stopping the belt for 30-45 seconds every 5 minutes, you're losing a ton of capacity and this is a factor in why Haunted Mansion wait times have been exploding since Fast Pass +.

The perfect solution to that is to have a separate loading area for disabled guests.
Which also inflates build costs.

raymusiccity

I beg to differ.

I have direct experience involving manufacture of more than one ride for Disney and all have been subject to change orders. One, in particular had challenges building in the swamp vs where it would normally be built with a foundation dug down into and tied into bedrock.

I know people who have been involved in the design and manufacture of coasters and they Do get change orders.

Not common.. But it does happen.

More common than most people will admit!

IMG_2248.JPG

lazyboy97o

True, but it elevates the initial cost to build, which people say it too high. It is too high, but there are too many factors like that that increase build costs today.
Even initial costs are assessed on a per guest basis and must be weighed against ongoing costs. It doesn’t make sense to just dismiss an upfront cost when it relates to an ongoing concern that is more likely to grow.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
There are so many reasons why this shouldn't be in MK, but if you are a Tron fan (slightly obsessed I must admit), ya gotta be a little excited this is making it to Florida.

I am a bit baffled though that they gave it the green light given that the franchise has been dead for some time now. The third movie keeps getting delayed and hasn't seen much traction, so from an IP perspective this one is strange.

Lord Pheonix

third movie??? i didnt even know they made a second, and i havnt even seen the first, from any year. but it is a perfect fit for a future themed land in wdw, so i dont see how you think it shouldnt be in the MK.

Pixieish

There are so many reasons why this shouldn't be in MK, but if you are a Tron fan (slightly obsessed I must admit), ya gotta be a little excited this is making it to Florida.

I am a bit baffled though that they gave it the green light given that the franchise has been dead for some time now. The third movie keeps getting delayed and hasn't seen much traction, so from an IP perspective this one is strange.

There's going to be a third? How was the 2nd one? It didn't get much in the way of hype, so I sort of let it fly under my radar.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
third movie??? i didnt even know they made a second, and i havnt even seen the first, from any year. but it is a perfect fit for a future themed land in wdw, so i dont see how you think it shouldnt be in the MK.

I believe they are referring to the original 1982 TRON, the 2010 re-boot TRON: Legacy, and the rumored/planned squeal to TRON: Legacy that has never come out.

bclane

There's going to be a third? How was the 2nd one? It didn't get much in the way of hype, so I sort of let it fly under my radar.
I know this probably won’t make much sense to a lot of people, but it’s an average at best story but an awesome movie experience imo. The concepts, visuals, nostalgia and music are the things that a geek like me lives for. It’s far from a perfect movie by any definition but I love it and can’t wait for the ride. It’s also my go to movie to demonstrate my home theatre.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I am fan of the work of TRON:LEGACY. Daft Punk did the music, which was really done well, great cinematography, and well I love Jeff Bridges. The movie is just visually beautiful to me as well.

The reason I don't think it fits are for the reasons posted within this thread, capacity is poor so it doesn't solve crowd issue for MK, as much as I love this franchise, I can't help but think why they choose this instead of a different IP, heck even some of you just admitted to not knowing there was a 2nd film and truthfully, for that plot of land they really could have done something original with a larger capacity that still fit in with the Tomorrowland Theme. Just my 2 cents but damned I am torn because I love TRON a lot.

Pixieish

I know this probably won’t make much sense to a lot of people, but it’s an average at best story but an awesome movie experience imo. The concepts, visuals, nostalgia and music are the things that a geek like me lives for. It’s far from a perfect movie by any definition but I love it and can’t wait for the ride. It’s also my go to movie to demonstrate my home theatre.
Okay...I'll give it a shot then! I'm big on visuals and good audio, too, lol, not to mention the nostalgia thing. ;)

trainplane3

I am fan of the work of TRON:LEGACY. Daft Punk did the music, which was really done well, great cinematography, and well I love Jeff Bridges. The movie is just visually beautiful to me as well.

The reason I don't think it fits are for the reasons posted within this thread, capacity is poor so it doesn't solve crowd issue for MK, as much as I love this franchise, I can't help but think why they choose this instead of a different IP, heck even some of you just admitted to not knowing there was a 2nd film and truthfully, for that plot of land they really could have done something original with a larger capacity that still fit in with the Tomorrowland Theme. Just my 2 cents but damned I am torn because I love TRON a lot.
Love TRON? Love Lego? Well... https://ideas.lego.com/blogs/a4ae09...8d6/post/f93d358e-bd2e-4295-8ad9-d308db7e3b0b

I feel TRON isn't the best thing for MK, but it's something new that isn't replacing something else. I can't complain too much about that.

Pixieish

Just put on the original on OnDemand...they want me to pay to watch Legacy. :rolleyes:

bclane

Just put on the original on OnDemand...they want me to pay to watch Legacy. :rolleyes:
That's too bad. I love the original, don't get me wrong, but it was kind of something you had to watch in the 80s to really appreciate. That was back when computers were a wonder and a mystery that no one in the general public really understood. My kids mock it to no end and I have to admit to them that it is incredibly cheesy by today's standards imo. But they love love love TRON Legacy (and so do I).

Pixieish

That's too bad. I love the original, don't get me wrong, but it was kind of something you had to watch in the 80s to really appreciate. That was back when computers were a wonder and a mystery that no one in the general public really understood. My kids mock it to no end and I have to admit to them that it is incredibly cheesy by today's standards imo. But they love love love TRON Legacy (and so do I).
Hahahahahaha...I remember when it came out! My son can't believe that there was a time before the Internet. :joyfull:

c-one

I agree totally about it being kind of a weird, niche choice after the commercial disappointment of Legacy. Maybe they're banking on the motorbike cars and the lights giving it a cool factor to draw folks in, since the IP probably won't. I haven't ridden the original ride but based on videos, it doesn't seem like a terribly strong concept, in this age of fully-immersive IP experiences a la Potter and Star Wars -- those are extreme examples but even take a single-ride example like Guardians of the Galaxy at DCA. I worry the Tron coaster will be closer to the "decorated thrill ride" side of the spectrum rather than "immersive experience". And maybe that's fine on its own, but with Test Track down the road and Space Mountain literally next door, I fear decorations alone will feel like a rehash.

Give me a queue DJ booth with Daft Punk animatronics and I'll retract this post.

bcoachable

I have a feeling that the ride in Tomorrowland (first in Shanghai) will allow/usher in the next Tron movie and that the ride will help it to become a large, money making, hit, with a chance to run into multiple sequels.
(Not unlike Pirates)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom