News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Timothy_Q

I too am wondering how they will hide parts of it from other lands. The more I look at the building placement though they could just hide it with trees. How they will hid the giant glowing canopy of awesomeness from other lands will be interesting to see.

The canopy itself would be ok to be seen from other places. Like Space Mountain and the Matterhorn can be seen from many spots

But the giant blue box building could be a huge eyesore from Fantasyland

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's superimposing the site plan to Google Earth. You can see that the main bulk of the ride is on existing land. The smoker's lane is in red.

upload_2017-11-20_16-44-14.png

And a 3D view from one angle...

upload_2017-11-20_16-50-6.png

And another with Shanghai's building overlaid...

upload_2017-11-20_16-50-53.png

Timothy_Q

lazyboy97o

I too am wondering how they will hide parts of it from other lands. The more I look at the building placement though they could just hide it with trees. How they will hid the giant glowing canopy of awesomeness from other lands will be interesting to see.
They didn’t bothered to hide the box in Shanghai. It’s even plainly visible on the ride itself.

Last edited:

britain

Here's superimposing the site plan to Google Earth. You can see that the main bulk of the ride is on existing land. The smoker's lane is in red.

View attachment 245602

And a 3D view from one angle...

View attachment 245611

And another with Shanghai's building overlaid...

View attachment 245612

I am relatively relieved regarding sightlines, given the layers of trees separating the Storybook Circus area and the Tron building.

What is the snaking path between Tron and Space Mountain? Looks like canal. It would be nice to have a water feature and a railroad to zoom out over when your lightbikes launch!

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I am relatively relieved regarding sightlines, given the layers of trees separating the Storybook Circus area and the Tron building.

What is the snaking path between Tron and Space Mountain? Looks like canal. It would be nice to have a water feature and a railroad to zoom out over when your lightbikes launch!

Canal indeed.

upload_2017-11-20_17-20-44.png

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Exactly. There is no reason to believe they will make any attempt to hide it.

Hopefully we are wrong.

While on the train, you can pretty much not see anything outside the park confines because of the treeline. Going by ground views in Google Earth Pro, it will be the same. You may be able to just catch glimpses of the top of the building through the tops of trees.

So, in the pic below, starting on the smoker's path from Storybook, you can see the ride canopy in blue (which should not be an issue to see), and you can see the building in white behind it. Just a few more trees can block that view.

upload_2017-11-20_17-27-19.png

peter11435

While on the train, you can pretty much not see anything outside the park confines because of the treeline. Going by ground views in Google Earth Pro, it will be the same. You may be able to just catch glimpses of the top of the building through the tops of trees.

So, in the pic below, starting on the smoker's path from Storybook, you can see the ride canopy in blue (which should not be an issue to see), and you can see the building in white behind it. Just a few more trees can block that view.

View attachment 245628
You are assuming those trees won't be removed when they clear land for the construction. Even if they aren't removed that doesn't solve the problem of the show building being visible from on the ride and from the contemporary.

lazyboy97o

View attachment 245628
The showbuilding is visible when looking straight at the entrance.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The showbuilding is visible when looking straight at the entrance.

I'm not sure what you can see from Shanghai's version, but based on the artist's concept and the new map showing where the big box will be, the set-up seems to be that the entrance toward the ride has the big box completely behind the blue canopy. Unless the blue canopy is a lot lower than the big box or open and see-through, then it's positioned to hide the big box as much as possible...

upload_2017-11-20_18-11-57.png

Travel Junkie

Unless they do something drastically different than Shanghai (and I doubt they will) the show building will be very visible from several vantage points including head on as lazyboy said.

TrojanUSC

Unless they do something drastically different than Shanghai (and I doubt they will) the show building will be very visible from several vantage points including head on as lazyboy said.

The park level at MK also helps a bit. Guest areas of the park are nearly 15' off the ground at most places (more at others), due to the utilidors. This helps to keep the show buildings quite obstructed. Even the base of Space Mountain, is sunken below the level of the park (hence the long, upward moving walkway to get back up to the park level).

Timothy_Q

I'm not sure what you can see from Shanghai's version, but based on the artist's concept and the new map showing where the big box will be, the set-up seems to be that the entrance toward the ride has the big box completely behind the blue canopy. Unless the blue canopy is a lot lower than the big box or open and see-through, then it's positioned to hide the big box as much as possible...

o9d5ltd29JXJc9eJw8F-o.jpg

wdwgreek

As excited as I am for a true addition to the MK, I’m worried about how it will impact sight lines. Especially from Fantasy Forest / Storybook Circus.
The sight lines from the FLE are awful, from mermaid you can see space mountain and the contemporary. If anything this will block the contemporary from view. Sightlines have been awful recently.

deWild

It doesn't sound like the show building will be that much of an issue in terms of show. Disney's pretty good at hiding their buildings from guests, so I have no reason to doubt their ability here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom