News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Magenta Panther

Huh? Why? It's quite the stretch to leap to that conclusion, as the Uncle Remus tales don't have anything to do with why the movie is (wrongly) attacked.

Speaking of which, it seems like newly-minted Disney Legend Whoopie Goldberg is asking Disney to re-release Song of the South:

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/f...-tells-disney-stop-hiding-history-152327.html

Yay for Whoopie! And I especially agree with her about the crows from Dumbo. They are AWESOME, and IMO do not denigrate blacks in any way - they're heroes! They teach Dumbo how to fly! I think they're better role models than a lot of rappers, what with the violent/misogynistic lyrics some of them spout. If Iger would listen to Whoopie and put the crows on merchandise, I'd buy a t-shirt with them on it in a red hot minute! I doubt Iger will do what she requests, but that reflects badly on him, not her. He'll avoid any controversy at any cost, craven as he is. Anyway, so glad Whoopie spoke up. She's got clout in this matter. Good for her for having the courage to defend a good film and good characters. That took guts!

IanDLBZF

Yay for Whoopie! And I especially agree with her about the crows from Dumbo. They are AWESOME, and IMO do not denigrate blacks in any way - they're heroes! They teach Dumbo how to fly! I think they're better role models than a lot of rappers, what with the violent/misogynistic lyrics some of them spout. If Iger would listen to Whoopie and put the crows on merchandise, I'd buy a t-shirt with them on it in a red hot minute! I doubt Iger will do what she requests, but that reflects badly on him, not her. He'll avoid any controversy at any cost, craven as he is. Anyway, so glad Whoopie spoke up. She's got clout in this matter. Good for her for having the courage to defend a good film and good characters. That took guts!
Three cheers for Whoopie Goldberg! Glad she spoke up for the fans.

rle4lunch

LOL. You aren't looking at the queue.. you are basically looking at the path near the ride in those shots. That's like saying there's no line for Star Tours because it's not out past the FP checkin.

Since I've never been there I have no frame of reference for where anything starts or ends. These pics make it look like it's in one of the ghost cities in China.

Hrudey3032

That's right, you look at a picture and you see it as a fact. You guys act like nobody else can ever have any information or knowledge. It's amazing. Like I said we'll see how it plays out. I'm not going to play these stupid games again. Believe the pictures, pictures are always facts. /thread

Is this guy for real? They are showing it built in conjunction with the Speedway already there. They are obviously planning on keeping the Speedway or some form of it going forward.

lazyboy97o

I think you are overthinking it. Btm and sm seem to do just fine, with no movie to support their fanbase.
The difference is that today Disney views the parks as a platform for established franchises. They are not a place to experience new stories and experiences. None of the Mountains would ever be approved today because they are not part of a franchise.

They rides have back stories and visual theming to support stories. They don't need movies. I might be looking too much into it. What I am saying is the Tron ride doesn't even have visual support for a story.
When it is operational, the queue seems to do rather well at setting up the premise of the attraction.

MiddKid

We continue to talk about the popularity of Tron...let's slice this a bit narrower. Let's talk Light Cycles.

I'm going to take me out of the equation. I'm a Tron fan. I have an original Tron poster in my theater room. Needless to say, I'm excited.

Let's take my wife. She not only could care less about Tron, she basically cares less about movies. It's a struggle to get her to "waste" (her words) two hours to sit down and watch a movie. She has other hobbies/interests. Needless to say, she can't tell me anything about Tron...but she knows Light Cycles. They were the iconic image from the first movie and that image carries on (more on that in a second) to even non-fans.

Let's take my kids. Three girls between the ages of 6 and 12. None have them have seen Tron. But somehow they know Light Cycles. They are from "that movie that looks all futuristic."

How are Light Cycles iconic?

Look at the cover and back cover of the VHS:
Tron VHS Cover.jpg

Look at the side of the original arcade game:
1127740194.jpg

The original teaser for Legacy? Almost all Light Cycle:

2009 Comic-Con experience...all about the Light Cycle reveal:

Blu-ray cover...Light Cycles:
tron-legacy-blu-ray.jpg

So I'd argue in this case, a scene or element of a movie can transcend the popularity of the movie itself. People know the image of the Light Cycle and will be happy to get to ride one...even if they have no clue what the heck the movie was about.

BasiltheBatLord

Back story wont matter with Splash because at some point it will be rethemed. If Disney doesnt like the redhead in pirates, you know good and well Splash's days with current theming are numbered.
Splash was pre-built with political correctness included, unlike PotC. The tar baby was replaced with honey in the attraction. Although honestly honey makes better sense anyway, as it would be pretty confusing what's going on if they kept the tar.

HMF

Splash Mountain is basically a dark ride. The AAs are telling the story while you are going through the ride. The ride has a story built into it. I am not talking about seeing a movie before the ride. I am talking about theme and background content.

If Disney didn't care about back story, they wouldn't be making immersive lands. They know people would rather go into the story/movie than just ride a ride based on a movie.
http://imagineerebirth.blogspot.ie/2006/11/myth-of-story.html

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The concept art scrapped "Tronway" redesign.
Have we determined if it was back-burned or nixed entirely?

From here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-upcoming-timeline-tracker.926402/

Tron is going behind the Speedway and not replacing it. [Here.] [Map.]

Artist rendering show Speedway staying and train going through TRON, however, that shouldn't be taken as exact. Speedway gets a new theme and train's path will be accounted for. [here] [artist rendering here]

Maybe a Tron theme for Speedway by 2021? [Here] and [Here]

in the artwork for Tron, the Speedway still exists -- this is a sign it isn't being removed as some sites have rumored [but the artist's rendering of Tron doesn't show what the overhauled Speedway will look like, there's separate unreleased art for that.]​

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom