News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Incomudro

I don’t even know what you’re trying to say. Yes, Disney used to be really great at designing inclusive ride vehicles. That stopped. As you point out here, FoP, 7D, and Tron are much more restrictive. That’s the issue. The fact that, say, Thunder or Pirates is very accommodating has no bearing whatsoever on Tron.

As to the back seats… in all seriousness, what makes Tron exceptional, or even interesting, beyond the restrictive seating position? This is the entire attractions fundamental flaw - it offers very, very little beyond the seating.
There is a car that fits any size.
Perhaps it's time for a portion of the population to take a look at themselves and make some changes.
It would make getting around the parks - the on foot portions - much easier as well.

SplashJacket

Nostalgia.
Also, it's just a fun ride and cool, the same way Tron is.

@Casper Gutman could receive an explanation on why certain characteristics make it a quality attraction down to the perception of visible light and interactions between neurons and the release of dopamine and he would still be a contrarian.

I've never personally understood people who oppose something at all costs. Like for sports, it's fun to trash on an opposing team's QB even if they're a future Hall of Famer, or defend your QB at all costs even if he's 32nd in the league, but if you're actively trying to have a discussion, opposing EVERYTHING at all costs benefits no one.

Obviously, when someone is affiliated with a group, its easy to want to defend its clearly negative actions, but I fail to conjure up a reasonable motivator behind countering every statement in which you lack a personal stake.

Tron has undeniable flaws but taking a hardline stance that EVERYTHING is bad, is so counterproductive to discussion (and warrants questioning why you're engaging in a discussion forum, to begin with).

doctornick

So perhaps an unpopular view... the roller coaster length of Tron is fine. I think for the typical Disney crowd and relative intensity, I suspect it will be near the limit of a lot of guests to enjoy and feel intense without "I'm never doing that again" sentiments. Where I think the ride is lacking is not necessarily that the ride should be longer as a roller coaster but that the slower parts (prior to launch and after stopping) could be longer and more importantly more significantly decorated. Having those be more dark ride-esque would enhance the ride experience without increasing the intensity.

Also, I would have doubled up and made it dual track with a blue and yellow trains racing each other. Double capacity and be more in line with the movie. Would be particularly cool if that had done that and synched the video so at times you have a projection of an opposite color vehicle racing you which is timed to be replaced by the real opposite color vehicle popping out.

Casper Gutman

Perhaps it's time for a portion of the population to take a look at themselves and make some changes.
It would make getting around the parks - the on foot portions - much easier as well.
Oh, this response is always adorable. I’ll tell my parents, one of whom is in a wheelchair and one with arthritis that prevents them from contorting their body as Tron and FoP demands, that they should just sort themselves out.

Casper Gutman

Also, it's just a fun ride and cool, the same way Tron is.

@Casper Gutman could receive an explanation on why certain characteristics make it a quality attraction down to the perception of visible light and interactions between neurons and the release of dopamine and he would still be a contrarian.

I've never personally understood people who oppose something at all costs. Like for sports, it's fun to trash on an opposing team's QB even if they're a future Hall of Famer, or defend your QB at all costs even if he's 32nd in the league, but if you're actively trying to have a discussion, opposing EVERYTHING at all costs benefits no one.

Obviously, when someone is affiliated with a group, its easy to want to defend its clearly negative actions, but I fail to conjure up a reasonable motivator behind countering every statement in which you lack a personal stake.

Tron has undeniable flaws but taking a hardline stance that EVERYTHING is bad, is so counterproductive to discussion (and warrants questioning why you're engaging in a discussion forum, to begin with).
Instead of snark, you could actually explain what, besides the seating position, makes Tron special. You haven’t actually done this. (By the by, I don’t think Space is one of WDWs greatest, although the slow climb through the space station, the iconic structure (which is properly placed) and the more complicated track give it an edge over Tron).

As for the rest of this tiresome stuff, it gets spewed on these boards every so often. It’s nonsense. I’ve posted a list of things I like about modern WDW on these boards this week. I’ve gone on and on about loving MMRR, new Star Tours, Animal Kingdom, etc. Even if I hated everything about the current parks, however, Disney World is much more then the current diminished state of the parks. It has a long history of excellence, a deep cultural significance, and an emotional importance to me (I can guarantee almost everyone here has a “personal stake” in the resort). Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to uncritically swallow whatever garbage the corporation offers you, and it doesn’t mean you have to strain to see positives in a very lackluster, extremely expensive, deeply misguided attraction.

SplashJacket

Instead of snark, you could actually explain what, besides the seating position, makes Tron special. You haven’t actually done this.
Tron’s main strength is it’s gorgeous night aesthetic and added kinetics.

I think Tron is a lot like Journey in Tokyo. Great ride, too short, beautiful exterior. There are some key differences, but to me, the ambiance around Tron is incredible. Despite my limited time in Shanghai, I spent an hour just chilling under the canopy one night enjoying the area. Tron’s influence on Tomorrowland as a whole will be much smaller, and therefore it’s ambiance impact will be diminished, but walking up to Tron, going under the canopy, especially at night, will be incredible.

Walking out of Epcot after illuminations, going past the foundation of nations, is a core memory for me. Peak Disney nostalgia. To me, Tron captures that same effect, just in a different way.

Describing the qualities of Tron is a nuanced affair. Tron itself, is a great ride, just super short, so it leaves you wanting more. That desire for more is a testament to the quality of what’s there, but it’s still a limitation. Guardian’s rotating vehicles are cooler than the bikes, but not an issue with motion-sickness. But similarly to a ride like Liberty Belle, so much of the attraction is not the ride itself. Just has such a cool factor.
1675821004375.png
1675821029502.png

Most big coaster parks try to have at least one inverted coaster, another suspended coaster, a stand-up coaster (at least in the past and potentially again in the future if B&M’s surf-coaster is successful).

Haunted Mansion being a ride instead of a walk-through like originally envisioned drastically alters how we interact with the theming.

Forbidden Journey in Universal, a masterpiece of its time, utilizes a seating situation with walls extending deep into your view, to limit what you can and cannot see. Forbidden Journey would be drastically different if it was an open-view vehicle (like Classic Monster’s headlining Kooka attraction will be)

Hagrid’s is a great ride regardless if you have the motorbike or side-car, but it’s easily twice as good on the motorbike.

You’re falsely acting like Tron’s only positive is its vehicle.

Hagrid’s motorbike would be even better if it had Tron’s motorbike instead.

Your entire statement is a textbook straw-man
Everyone can ride Tron no problem. Almost everyone can experience the regular seats.

The seats and the restraint system have a purpose. They add so much to the ride.
Tron’s seating arrangement makes Hagrid’s motorbike seat seem like a cheap knock-off.

Even then, riding in the motorbike is already a fly superior to the side-car.

Tron’s seats are awesome.
Master of ignoring EVERYTHING the person says, then ranting about something aimlessly.

Seen here with another user:
I’ll tell my parents, one of whom is in a wheelchair and one with arthritis that prevents them from contorting their body as Tron and FoP demands, that they should just sort themselves out.
You're complaining that a ride, with accessible seats, is burdensome to those needing accessible seats, because? This makes negative sense.

Last edited:

Magenta Panther

I don't know him, but every time I see a video that says "honest review" I automatically assume it isn't honest and it is just clickbait... based on my experience and given that negative reviews do better.

Well, that's a heck of an assumption. What do you want, soppy puff pieces that are equally potentially dishonest?

Kevin's video shows the ride experience. He likes parts of the queue and the way the ride looks in the load area. Then he says that even though he's a slim guy, he found the ride vehicles very uncomfortable in a way that a guy (slim or otherwise) would definitely notice. Then he points out that the walls of glass in the queue of the ride are already covered with hundreds of dirty handprints and doodles made by sweat paint placed by guests, which the queues' blacklight emphasizes and is not a good look. Then he points out the Black Hole (my description) that is the ride exit - just a long hallway painted black. No lighting effects, not even decals. Just black paint. And he also mentions that when you walk out of the exit, you see the backstage areas that park guests aren't usually meant to see.

People will have differing opinions about this ride. That's fine. But I appreciate vloggers that don't just fawn all over everything (like Paging Mr. Morrow, etc.) and will risk Disney's and Universal's wrath to give an honest opinion about a new attraction. That's all.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 697074View attachment 697075

Master of ignoring EVERYTHING the person says, then ranting about something aimlessly.

Seen here with another user:

You're complaining that a ride, that has accessible seats, is burdensome to its intended audience, because? This makes negative sense.

I’ll note you swapped the order of the first two posts, creating the impression you were responding to me. You weren’t.

OK, you seem to be primarily championing two things about Tron. One is that the exterior is pretty. It is, from a particular vantage. But it’s placement is awful and it’s hidden from most of the park so that advantage is largely erased. It is absolutely NOT something most people will walk past as they exit the park like the fountain.

The second element you praise is the seating position. I’ve discussed that at length. To reiterate the point you seem to miss, if the primary point of the ride is the restrictive seating position, offering conventional seating isn’t particularly helpful because almost the ONLY POINT of the ride is the seating position. It is one of many reasons why building a ride in which the only unique or exceptional is the seating position is fundamentally a terrible idea.

I’ve responded to the other posts.

SplashJacket

offering conventional seating isn’t particularly helpful because almost the ONLY POINT of the ride is the seating position
As I made clear with suggesting that Hagrid’s is better on the motorbike (which happens to not as effective as Tron’s motorbike), it makes the ride better.

Tron, without the seating, is still a cool, fun, ride. Just like Space Mountain is next-door.

SplashJacket

I’ll note you swapped the order of the first two posts, creating the impression you were responding to me. You weren’t.
I wasn’t responding to you.

You responded to the topic in my post with this:
I know that when I think of what made Disney parks great, I think of seating position. Pirates? Imagination? Thunder? It’s all about that seating position. Even Universal’s best, most beloved ride, Spidey, has a really unique seating position. It’s a shame that Disney is building rides that a lot of people can’t ride, but as long as those rides make people sit in a slightly unusual way, it’s all worth it. Man, if you make that seating position unconventional enough, all you have to do is move the vehicles into a dark empty warehouse for a few seconds - folks will love it!
Which led to the subsequent number of posts, and resulted in you claiming I never mentioned the other strengths of Tron.

RSoxNo1

I'd say "quit your %&tchin'"

SDMT opened 9 years ago in 2014 and is still the hardest ride to get on in MK and thats short

Its a new ride in MK that desperately needed one..........

It changes the entire atmosphere at night in tomorrowland (and even beyond)

Short? Yeah, but so what........

Leaves you wanting to go back for more
SDMT and SDD were both rides that were better than Disney or guests expected them to be. They are both underbuilt D tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom