B515F230-5BEF-4912-BB0A-3CE39712DCD3.jpeg
67707276-2D34-40A8-B3DD-215D1114EF22.jpeg
23C1A31A-631D-4B2A-B9EF-7BF4C2B1D563.jpeg
B9EA284E-8A67-49A9-BAF7-99376F368303.jpeg
46E9CA53-9A60-473D-A8D3-D1A6A04B0824.jpeg

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Now they have a bike coaster it might be a bad idea to configure the seats to accommodate all larger guests. I forget if they strung nets over the walkways but even if they did a falling person might be too much for them and very bad show. Got to engineer for most not for all
I agree but the second solution is to have skinny seats and jumbo seats and never shall the two cross. It would not take much to laser measure guests and sort them accordingly. I’d prefer to be sent to the fat seats than to be sent to the Mickey bar cart.

CastAStone

Premium Member
I agree but the second solution is to have skinny seats and jumbo seats and never shall the two cross. It would not take much to laser measure guests and sort them accordingly. I’d prefer to be sent to the fat seats than to be sent to the Mickey bar cart.
PS I know they’ll never do this but they should.

Casper Gutman

It’s real neat to see WDW giving up on one of the few areas in which they were clearly superior to Universal. Oh well, it’s not like Disney has a history of beloved coasters that can accommodate a wide variety of body types.

I’m also amused by the comments that assume innovation in the field of ride restraints is impossible, that Disney and Uni couldn’t develop more adaptable restraints if they felt it was profitable. Actually, we know Uni is trying to develop such restraints - whether they ever actually utilize them is another matter.

Jrb1979

It’s real neat to see WDW giving up on one of the few areas in which they were clearly superior to Universal. Oh well, it’s not like Disney has a history of beloved coasters that can accommodate a wide variety of body types.

I’m also amused by the comments that assume innovation in the field of ride restraints is impossible, that Disney and Uni couldn’t develop more adaptable restraints if they felt it was profitable. Actually, we know Uni is trying to develop such restraints - whether they ever actually utilize them is another matter.
It's not that simple to just create a restraint so all guest sizes can enjoy an attraction. It's not as simple as Disney or Universal just creating a new restraint but the manufacturer of the coaster has to agree to it.

Tom P.

This looks cool, but it should be called Tron: Legacy Lightcycle Run. This has nothing to do with the original Tron, which is sad.

Marc Davis Fan

This is the best footage/audio I've seen of the WDW version so far, posted a few hours ago:

I went on the version in Shanghai and thought it was OK but not great. Seeing this makes me think that understanding the language (I do not speak Chinese) goes a long way in making the experience more compelling... since, after all, you'll know what the heck is going on. I think the language barrier gave me an unfairly negative impression, without my realizing that it was a significant factor.

You still have to temper your expectations, because it is very short and very aesthetically/thematically simple.

Definitely sit near the back and ride at night, though. Trust me.

vikescaper

I’m just happy to see some more TRON representation, as someone who thinks TRON Legacy is very under appreciated. Definitely a fan of the franchise and seeing this is cool. Excited to try this out soon, if I can muster up enough courage to get on a lightcycle.
You’re not alone as I have always felt that Legacy is underrated. Yeah, it’s not perfect but I always enjoy watching it. Plus, it has the perfect soundtrack!

donsullivan

Premium Member
It's not that simple to just create a restraint so all guest sizes can enjoy an attraction. It's not as simple as Disney or Universal just creating a new restraint but the manufacturer of the coaster has to agree to it.
Exactly true. Every single ride seat, on every attraction is based on a profile defined very early in the development of the attraction. The engineers and designers create a profile of what percentage of the population in an age group they want the attraction to accommodate safely. For example, on something like Tron, they may say they want the design to accommodate 95% (totally made up number, just for reference) of adults above 16 years old to ride. There is a lot of data available to define what that means to help in the design.

Just saying ’add bigger seats’ triggers a change to the weight profile of the ride vehicle which changes the launch motors, the braking systems, the weight on the wheels, and on and on. The practical reality is that when safety is involved, which is, and should always be the highest priority in an attraction like this, there will ALWAYS be some guests who cannot ride. If you make the seats bigger then smaller guests cannot ride safely and the minimum height threshold gets raised. It is a balancing act on thrill rides where they try to accomdodate the maximum number of guests but you will never get to 100% on a thrill ride safely.

Casper Gutman

If Disney had to become obsessed with an underperforming adventure film from several decades ago, why couldn’t it have been something fun like Rocketeer or Dick Tracy?

lewisc

accommodate safely. For example, on something like Tron, they may say they want the design to accommodate 95% (totally made up number, just for reference) of adults above 16 years old to ride. There is a lot of data available to define what that means to help in the design.
Posters say Tron is cut and paste. Was Tron designed to accommodate 95% of Chinese adults above age 16.

Using your made up numbers.

I suspect the average weight of guests visiting the MK might be heavier then guests visiting Shanghai Disney.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Posters say Tron is cut and paste. Was Tron designed to accommodate 95% of Chinese adults above age 16.

I suspect the average weight of guests visiting the MK might be heavier then guests visiting Shanghai Disney.
Without access to the Engineering and design specs of both versions, we do not know. They could easily have kept the same design and ride profile as Shanghai, hence the ’clone’ reference but made adjustments to the physical mechanics of the ride system to accommodate a different guest profile. That would not likely be obviously visible to most. The reality is we don’t have access to the information to know what adjustments were made for the US market, or if the Shanghai version is designed for US market and installed there.

CastAStone

Premium Member

I believe the mere existence of ADA/person of size seats at all is a modification.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Without access to the Engineering and design specs of both versions, we do not know. They could easily have kept the same design and ride profile as Shanghai, hence the ’clone’ reference but made adjustments to the physical mechanics of the ride system to accommodate a different guest profile. That would not likely be obviously visible to most. The reality is we don’t have access to the information to know what adjustments were made for the US market, or if the Shanghai version is designed for US market and installed there.
There has indeed been a few minor changes, but it largely a clone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom