News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Casper Gutman

As a holistic vision realized it is the best park in Orlando and probably a top 5 park in the world, in spite of any perceived quality of ride lineup or it being a half or whole day park.

The company as it is currently constructed will never build an attraction like the ones that made the DAK lineup pre-Pandora ever again. I am not one to worship at the feet of individual Imagineers but what was done with Pandora to get it to work in DAK could not have been done without Rohde.

What they say they want to do with the southeast corner of the park does not inspire a lot of confidence it will stay that way for long.
Yup. AK is a coherent park, with a consistent mission, beautiful and complete theming, and a pleasing, immersive layout ( though I do think the geography of Pandora is a bit simplistic). As I grow older, all of that matters more and more to me, and rides matter less and less. To the extent that rides still matter to me, it’s to the extent that they can adequately handle capacity and leave the other areas of the park pleasant and uncrowded.

As much as I respect AK, it’s a shame that all of WDWs nonsense detracts from the experience - the various reservation systems, the mad prices, etc. My park preferences are largely based on how relaxing a time I can have while simply wandering aimlessly, sitting on a bench, or grabbing an unplanned bite. For that reason, I still prefer the Universal parks (especially the Studios). Given how well designed AK is, that’s a bit of a shame.

Buried20KLeague

hagrids has like 7 launches.....and stops, drops, backwards stuff.....not really comparable imo. But I guess I should have said single launch coaster. Its also a great ride imo, my fave harry potter related ride at the Universal parks but it also sucks that they had to get rid of a great dueling coaster and the best part of lost continent land to build it.

So…. You can’t compare tron and hagrid’s because hagrid’s has so many more features?? Lol

Animaniac93-98

As much as I respect AK, it’s a shame that all of WDWs nonsense detracts from the experience - the various reservation systems, the mad prices, etc. My park preferences are largely based on how relaxing a time I can have while simply wandering aimlessly, sitting on a bench, or grabbing an unplanned bite. For that reason, I still prefer the Universal parks (especially the Studios). Given how well designed AK is, that’s a bit of a shame.

This is why I don't have much interest in AK, EPCOT or DHS in their current state.

Too much expense and hassle to just be there for a few hours.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I'm going to stop talking about AK here since it is going to derail this thread...there's plenty of other threads we can derail...I mean, speak about AK in

Buried20KLeague

What they should have done is gutted space mountain and reimagined the coaster inside into a single track with higher capacity, and up all the special effects and so forth to make it the Gold Standard.

Like Tokyo is probably beating WDW to. Again.

And like they should have done 20 years ago.

Then they wouldn’t have had to shoehorn tron in like they have, and it likely wouldn’t have taken as long.

Last edited:

ChrisFL

Premium Member
What they should have done is gutted space mountain and reimagined the coaster inside into a single track with higher capacity, and up all the special effects and so forth to make it the Gold Standard.

Like Tokyo is probably beating WDW to. Again.

And like they should have done 20 years ago.

I wonder what it would take to re-track WDW's Space Mountain like that. It has extra room compared to DL and other versions, but do they just remove some of the side panels and extract the coaster pieces?

Buried20KLeague

I wonder what it would take to re-track WDW's Space Mountain like that. It has extra room compared to DL and other versions, but do they just remove some of the side panels and extract the coaster pieces?

I would guess knock out a chunk of a lower wall. But who knows. It would be doable. And the amount of space in there (pun) absolutely gives them big room.

Heck, if they really wanted to get crazy they could have built a box behind the mountain (like how the tron box is now) and utilize that as well.

fgmnt

Clearly you haven’t been on goofy’s sky school or the Indy coaster in Paris or Tokyo. Lol
Those are rides to fill out a punchlist. Hagrid’s Motorbike and Space Mountain were built to be signature attractions that are anchors of their respective parks. It’s just that Space Mountain, from design through to principal construction predates computer design of roller coaster track.

Whether Space Mountain in WDW should maintain the Starport 75 Alpha and Omega configuration in a rebuild, or should be redesigned in its entirety, is an interesting discussion to have.
Regardless, Burbank is content to let TDO slap the 48 year old coaster back together indefinitely until it crumbles or worse, and it is a real problem.

Rich Brownn

Those are rides to fill out a punchlist. Hagrid’s Motorbike and Space Mountain were built to be signature attractions that are anchors of their respective parks. It’s just that Space Mountain, from design through to principal construction predates computer design of roller coaster track.

Whether Space Mountain in WDW should maintain the Starport 75 Alpha and Omega configuration in a rebuild, or should be redesigned in its entirety, is an interesting discussion to have.
Regardless, Burbank is content to let TDO slap the 48 year old coaster back together indefinitely until it crumbles or worse, and it is a real problem.
Space Mountain was the first all-computer designed roller coaster..

Hawg G

Has anybody figured out which rides have a shorter ride cycle time than tron? I bet it’s not many. And certainly no E’s.

The carousel is probably longer. Winnie the Pooh? Maybe?
Why would you call it an E then? It isn't. If it had actual TRON theming besides the trains, maybe. Its a coaster in a box that COMPLETELY destroys the theme 3 seconds into the ride.

_caleb

Where are those computers today?
Indiana Jones Reaction GIF

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom