News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

imagineer97

In the Parks
No
Could the placement of Tron lead to the eventual removal of the Speedway?
I was in WDW during the D23 in 2017 when they announced TRON coming, and the cast members in Merchant of Venus told me that the Speedway was going to close. That ended up not happening, but I definitely think it could still happen.

UNCgolf

I was in WDW during the D23 in 2017 when they announced TRON coming, and the cast members in Merchant of Venus told me that the Speedway was going to close. That ended up not happening, but I definitely think it could still happen.

Even if they did remove the Speedway, I can't imagine they'd just leave it as empty space. They'd build another attraction (or shops/restaurants) in that footprint, which would actually block views of TRON even more.

DisneyCane

I haven't been following this thread that closely so I'm sure this has been answered but what is the expectation for when this will finally open?

celluloid

The Mexico Pavilion Pyramid was scaffolding six months before EPCOT had opening day and was a building to house multiple venues including a dark boat ride inside that is not only well hidden but themed and appeasing where it is not. All while an entire theme park was heavy under work.

Today's Decisions are the suck in comparison.

James Alucobond

Even if they did remove the Speedway, I can't imagine they'd just leave it as empty space. They'd build another attraction (or shops/restaurants) in that footprint, which would actually block views of TRON even more.
I generally agree, but had it been replaced by the TRON racers as I think was originally planned, they could have just continued the look of TRON down onto the track itself with some mini-lighted canopies and whatnot.

UNCgolf

I generally agree, but had it been replaced by the TRON racers as I think was originally planned, they could have just continued the look of TRON down onto the track itself with some mini-lighted canopies and whatnot.

Agreed, but it seems like that's dead. I think even if they do eventually retheme the Speedway (as opposed to demolishing it) they'll go in a different direction now.

Casper Gutman

This is another reason the placement of Tron is so aggressively stupid. It makes it much more difficult, if not impossible, to develop a huge chunk of land that seems like it was probably the most available expansion plot in MK. I would imagine that the space now occupied by Autopia, Toontown, and Tron could have been used for a land-sized expansion. But with Tron now stuck at an awkward angle in the middle of it, it really limits how that space can be used.

doctornick

This is another reason the placement of Tron is so aggressively stupid. It makes it much more difficult, if not impossible, to develop a huge chunk of land that seems like it was probably the most available expansion plot in MK. I would imagine that the space now occupied by Autopia, Toontown, and Tron could have been used for a land-sized expansion. But with Tron now stuck at an awkward angle in the middle of it, it really limits how that space can be used.
There’s plenty of land that could be used to make additions to MK if there’s a will. I don’t think that really limits anything. The railroad/berm also cuts across the area you describe which could limit making a cohesive land - it’s one think to put a ride/showbuilding outside the berm like Tron (or Space) but another to have park of the “walking around” area of a land there.

Anyhow, if they were going to add a whole new land to the park, I’d put it north either above the RoA (a la SWGE in DL) outside the berm or above Fantasyland inside the berm. The latter would need to have the go over the big access road or reroute that road but it is doable if desired.

Marc Davis Fan

Well said!

MK is in desperate need of a land-sized expansion (or two), both for capacity/crowd-flow and because MK is the park that will for the foreseeable future be typecast by the public as Disney's flagship (and thus should be top-notch/cutting-edge to hold its own against Epic Universe).

Tron makes the Storybook Circus / Speedway area more difficult to develop, but not impossible. They can get creative with rock work, etc. The Fantasy Springs area at TDS offers some illustrations of what can be creatively accomplished in a weirdly-shaped space with various sightline issues... and hey, the theme fits, too...

Some areas west of Adventureland, and across the top of Rivers of America à la Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland, are also serious contenders for being almost-as-good expansion plots.

So, there's a lot of opportunity still, but, to your point, Disney sure does shoot itself in the foot by sacrificing the long-term in favor of easy short-term development...

doctornick

Well said!

MK is in desperate need of a land-sized expansion (or two), both for capacity/crowd-flow and because MK is the park that will for the foreseeable future be typecast by the public as Disney's flagship (and thus should be top-notch/cutting-edge to hold its own against Epic Universe).

The best place to build something from a crowd flow standpoint is north of RoA connecting the Spash/BTMRR area to HM from the other direction. That would be great during when parades fill the streets along the main Frontierland/Liberty Sq walkway.

tommyhawkins

they reclaimed all they could for that area, drainage pond would still have to be there no matter what to maintain the 10% storm capacity. there are pockets of land but they are not here.

whilst id love to see the smelly car thing go, and it seems they have future proofed tron to add more if it does leave....there is a huge space in front of the ride that people are going to be drawn towards, it pains me to say it about disney but maybe wait and see what they come up with over the next 4-5 months?

1651458193679.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom