News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

James Alucobond

How do you know when Cosmic Rewind started ride testing?
Even ignoring what's going on inside, the outside looks nowhere near the level of completion we saw for Cosmic Rewind in March. If a comparison can even be drawn, I'd say it's more along the lines of being in a state similar to the Cosmic Rewind of November, when significant concrete and facade work still remained.

ToTBellHop

Even ignoring what's going on inside, the outside looks nowhere near the level of completion we saw for Cosmic Rewind in March. If a comparison can even be drawn, I'd say it's more along the lines of being in a state similar to the Cosmic Rewind of November, when significant concrete and facade work still remained.
Sure. And they could certainly open TRON by Thanksgiving if they want (not sure they do).

SplashJacket

If it wasn't , they wouldn't be doing full speed testing with dummies at this stage. We will know by the end of May. I expect most if not all the paving and outside walkway walls to be up.
Tell me you know nothing about coasters without telling me you know nothing about coasters.

VelociCoaster at Universal was testing in December 2020. It soft opened in May and opened in June 2021.

If Tron is testing now, in April 2022, and if we apply the same timetable to Tron that Universal used on VelociCoaster, Tron will soft open in September and open in October 2022.

This doesn’t mean Tron will open in October, but this isn’t opening in July or August.

ToTBellHop

Tell me you know nothing about coasters without telling me you know nothing about coasters.

VelociCoaster at Universal was testing in December 2020. It soft opened in May and opened in June 2021.

If Tron is testing now, in April 2022, and if we apply the same timetable to Tron that Universal used on VelociCoaster, Tron will soft open in September and open in October 2022.

This doesn’t mean Tron will open in October, but this isn’t opening in July or August.
Indeed. And Cosmic Rewind has been testing for several months now. We just can’t see that.

UNCgolf

So its ok to compare the timetable of Velocicoaster to Tron, but not Guardians of the Galaxy to Tron? Riiiight. You do know Universal is owned by Comcast - the bottom rung of efficiency in the entertainment and technological world, right?. Comcast can't Disney.

What are you talking about? If anything, Comcast/Universal has been more efficient than Disney in the past 5-10 years.

Admittedly, at least some of that is Disney intentionally dragging their feet because they don't feel like opening something yet, but still.

Last edited:

SplashJacket

So its ok to compare the timetable of Velocicoaster to Tron, but not Guardians of the Galaxy to Tron? Riiiight. You do know Universal is owned by Comcast - the bottom rung of efficiency in the entertainment and technological world, right?. Comcast can't Disney.
Tell me you’re a troll without telling me you’re a troll.

VelociCoaster completed its pull through test in September 2020 and opened 10 months later in June 2021

Guardians completed its pull through test in November 2020 at the earliest and will open 18 months later in May 2022.

Tron completed its pull through test in March 2022. It’s opening is unknown. If it opens in October, that’s 7 months after its pull through test. Beating the pace of both the aforementioned coasters.

strictfoo

VelociCoaster completed its pull through test in September 2020 and opened 10 months later in June 2021

Guardians completed its pull through test in November 2020 at the earliest and will open 18 months later in May 2022.

Tron completed its pull through test in March 2022. It’s opening is unknown. If it opens in October, that’s 7 months after its pull through test. Beating the pace of both the aforementioned coasters.
Two of those timelines are through the peak of covid. Wouldn't the timeline for the one in Shanghai be a more accurate comparison? That only had a handful of months between pull through and it being open.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
If it wasn't , they wouldn't be doing full speed testing with dummies at this stage. We will know by the end of May. I expect most if not all the paving and outside walkway walls to be up.
SDMT started full circuit/full train testing in Dec 2013 and had a grand opening in May of 2014 (5 months later). SDD started full circuit/full train testing in January of 2018 and had a grand opening in June of 2018 (5 months later). Based on those timeliness and nothing else considered, given we saw full circuit/full train testing for Tron start in April of 2022, a Sept/Oct 2022 (5 months later) opening for Tron seems realistic.

gerarar

Premium Member
From earlier today. Looks like the right side of the canopy was deflated a bit versus on the weekend when it was completely inflated as per bioreconstruct's photos.
Screenshot_20220426-213843_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-213351_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220426-213425_YouTube.jpg

In the morning, workers were on that part of the canopy:
Screenshot_20220426-214324_YouTube.jpg

Photos come from various livestreams at the MK today.

yensidtlaw1969

Well, you'll have to forgive my speculation, but it seems appropriate to post here:

279134100_1895263077330382_5116064158020971449_n-1.png

Tokyo Disneyland just announced a redesign of their Space Mountain and Tomorrowland, and it seems to suit the TRON Aesthetic rather well. No word yet on whether they're planning to build a TRON attraction there, but the conversation earlier in this thread about changing the look of WDW's Space Mountain seems to make this piece of art relevant.

Compare it to this piece of concept art for Shanghai's Tron and it's easy to see how these buildings complement each other:

Screen Shot 2022-04-27 at 3.50.38 AM.png

I can't help but wonder now if WDW might be considering a similar reskin of our Space Mountain. I HOPE not, but it seems less far-fetched than ever.

Patcheslee

JoeCamel

Well, you'll have to forgive my speculation, but it seems appropriate to post here:

View attachment 635632

Tokyo Disneyland just announced a redesign of their Space Mountain and Tomorrowland, and it seems to suit the TRON Aesthetic rather well. No word yet on whether they're planning to build a TRON attraction there, but the conversation earlier in this thread about changing the look of WDW's Space Mountain seems to make this piece of art relevant.

Compare it to this piece of concept art for Shanghai's Tron and it's easy to see how these buildings complement each other:

View attachment 635633

I can't help but wonder now if WDW might be considering a similar reskin of our Space Mountain. I HOPE not, but it seems less far-fetched than ever.
They need to fix the ride before the envelope

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Disney does like to do the whole "Copy"/"Paste" thing a lot as of recently. I know OLC is finicky about letting other Disney parks use designs that were developed for that park, but given that this is Space Mountain, maybe WDI worked something out with them? However. If they can get past any exclusivity that Tokyo may have wanted, not sure how willing they may be to throw $440 million at another Tomorrowland coaster so soon (crazy that this thing is costing nearly as much as GotG...)

Though I guess it also begs the question if any of this new Space Mountain will share any design features with GotG (same ride system? Same projection system? etc), which may make it less desirable as a direct copy/paste replacement for WDW's Space Mountain.

Casper Gutman

View attachment 635632

View attachment 635633

But I was informed that the idea that Disney would ever touch a ride as "iconic" as Space Mountain was absolutely absurd...

It's certainly possible that WDW's SM gets a similar makeover to bring it into line with the neighboring Tron. The problem with that, of course, is that SM and Tron are already very, very similar rides, and making them MORE similar solves nothing. I think this is instead a worrying acknowledgement that Disney considers SM and Tron interchangeable, which bodes ill for SM after Tron opens. In any case, its proof that the one element of SM folks were sure could was untouchable, the exterior structure, is very touchable indeed. I think WDW's reluctance to build much of anything is SM's best chance now.

As for the look of the ride, Tokyo DL is obviously the most consistently excellent park in the Disney chain and possibly in the world, but I'm not wild about this new look. It seems likely to become outdated just as quickly as any other contemporary vision of the future - and that second node sort of strikes me as a pimple on SM's shoulder. I've always thought the best way to go with Tomorrowland was to fully commit to a retro look, either WDW's Buck Rogers-esque aesthetic or Paris' Jules Verne-y take.

Incomudro

fgmnt

They need to fix the ride before the envelope
Probably the thread for it, but management focused on anything beyond the next quarter would put walls up at the door of Space Mountain the day Tron opens and retrack from scratch in time for the 50th anniversary of the attraction. More likely the park will ring in the 50th of Space Mountain with a major ride fault than a worthy refurbishment.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom