News Tron coaster coming to the Magic Kingdom

Animaniac93-98

No mention of TRON in the annual timeshare commercial, which suggests a late 2022 opening at best.

But I for one cannot wait to see how they spin this in future promos, because Disney World advertising now is all about "immersing yourself in the worlds of/seeing your favorite characters" and Disney has deliberately made a point over the last decade to prove that they do not give a single **** about TRON.

Imagine Derek Hough stumbling his way through a script read where he struggles to name a single character from the franchise (pssst, Derek, one of the TRON characters names is....Tron....). Or Chapek getting a headache trying to wrap his bald head around what the TRON world even is while hyping it on opening day.

It's going to be amazing.

Animaniac93-98

What they'll likely do is say that TRON was SO popular in Shanghai that they HAD to bring it to WDW.

That'll give them an excuse to pat themselves in the back for SDL and dismiss any recent treatment of the property.

Or they'll say they're working on the Disney+ sequel (just like how TRON 3 has been in development hell since 2010).

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
TRON construction photos from today

Tron_Full_45812.jpg

Incomudro

Little Mermaid and 7DMT were in 2012 and 2014.
Yeah, but those two films are more deeply seated and more widely known than Tron.
Anyway, the Tron coaster doesn't really exist so much because of the impact of Tron.
It exists because it works as an IP and means for Disney to get a coaster into the parks.

Last edited:

Hitchens

On one hand our family might not go to WDW in the summer of 2022 if Tron doesn't open at least a month before we go, so put me in the infantile adult freaking out because a ride won't be open category. WAAAAH! This is the downside of Disney bringing out the kid in me.

But my inner old man forgives Disney, recalling that Disneyland broke ground on the Haunted Mansion in 1961, but didn't open it till 1969.
(Forgive me if the above link didn't work.)
Of course, Walt died in 1966
and before that he was distracted by creating Walt Disney World, Mary Poppins & the World's Fair of 1964 where he created several attractions. Pretty good excuses.

The sooner Disney opens Tron, the sooner they start making a lot more money, so they should've opened it before 2022. In my nearly worthless opinion, Disney has been disappointing many of its fans since the previously amazing Michael Eisner entered his second decade as CEO after his fellow overpaid colleague Frank Wells died & the even more avaricious Paul Pressler rose in the company.

(In fairness to Michael Eisner, I'll note that he has been a very generous philanthropist since leaving Disney.)

Predictions: Disney will charge $20 to $25 per guest for those wishing to skip most of the line for this 2-minute-long, cloned coaster. Disney will claim the Fancy Ride (to quote AllEars' Molly's term) line-skipping option will start at $15, but the $15 option will rarely be an option guests till after Tron's first summer.

(Sorry if I'm repeating any points I made earlier in this 540-page thread! In fairness to me, that's more pages than Harry Potter books 1, 2 or 3; and like {Disney's} Captain Marvel, I can't spend all my time in this world. They need me at Micechat & on other forums. OMG, WAIT! Disney Food Blog's AJ is having a press conference because Disney altered the frosting on the carrot cake cupcake at the Main Street bakery at Disneyland AND again raised the price of its WDW spring rolls -- the ones sold from a cart -- by 50 more cents! Gotta go!)

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

On one hand our family might not go to WDW in the summer of 2022 if Tron doesn't open at least a month before we go, so put me in the infantile adult freaking out because a ride won't be open category. WAAAAH! This is the downside of Disney bringing out the kid in me.

But my inner old man forgives Disney recalling that Disneyland broke ground on the Haunted Mansion in 1961, but didn't open it till 1969.
(Sorry if the above link didn't work.)
Of course, Walt died in 1966
and before that he was distracted by creating Walt Disney World, Mary Poppins & the World's Fair of 1964 where he created several attractions. Pretty good excuses.

The sooner Disney opens Tron, the sooner they start making a lot more money, so they should've opened it before 2022. In my nearly worthless opinion, Disney has been disappointing many of its fans since the previously amazing Michael Eisner entered his second decade as CEO after his fellow overpaid colleague Frank Wells died & the even more avaricious Paul Pressler rose in the company.

(In fairness to Michael Eisner, I'll note that he has been a very generous philanthropist since leaving Disney.)

Prediction: Disney will charge $20 to $25 per guest for those wishing to skip most of the line for this 2-minute-long, cloned coaster.
The Haunted Mansion was the first attraction completed at the still under construction Magic Kingdom. TRON Lightcycle Run isn’t the first iteration nor was it delayed for radical plussing/reworking to utilize new technologies like The Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean.

Rich Brownn

According to the 50th coffee table book, the WDW Mansion was built between June 30 1969 and early April 1971.
But the actual Mansion was built in 1961 and left unused - it was put on hold for the WF (just like Pirates which had also started construction). In the end, both attraction which had been designed as walk-throughs were heavily revised. Mansion didn't have the show building yet so it was fine. Pirates required ripping out all the steel they had already built and start over.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom