Tripod Rec's-Concerned about Height

Gig 'Em Mickey

Original Poster
I have a decent tripod that's pretty tall. Problem is it's heavy and doesn't fold down small so not very good for carry around. Been looking for travel tripods. Looking at several mefoto models but they don't seem to be very tall. Concerned about trying to photograph fireworks and not having enough height to get over crowds. Also, I'm over 6 feet and my camera does not have a swivel screen.

What are y'all using?

NowInc

The MeFotos are a lot taller than youd think :) I, and many others, use the RoadTrip model and I have never had an issue of getting a shot. Typically anything taller than what this tripod can reach could maybe be considered obtrusive to those around you. Also, I rarely, if ever, extend it to its full potential.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Tripods are like straps, I just can't find the perfect one. There is always a compromise, but I think overall, the MeFotos hit the spot for most scenarios.

I would consider carbon fibre. The price is hard to swallow up front, but when you are lugging it around the park all day, it can be well worth it.

ddbowdoin

Ok, so I know this might provide some sticker shock but I figured I would pass along what I use... Really Right Stuff TVC33, they also make a short version http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7826/.f which is better for travel.

100% made in the US, everything down to the smallest bolt is sourced here. That kind of stuff is important to me. Also, this is the classic "pay once, cry once" product. No more messing with brands, upgrading, not having a feature you like. These are the REAL deal. This chart really helps.

media.nl

WDI 1998

This is the one I am looking to pick up before my next trip. It seems tall, sturdy and can carry lots of weight yet small and light enough to carry everywhere.

Mefoto A2350Q2K GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kit (Black)

The ones from Really Right Stuff look great and I love their comparison chart but the price is just to high to justify getting one. I would if I could but I cant....

NowInc

This is the one I am looking to pick up before my next trip. It seems tall, sturdy and can carry lots of weight yet small and light enough to carry everywhere.

Mefoto A2350Q2K GlobeTrotter Travel Tripod Kit (Black)

The ones from Really Right Stuff look great and I love their comparison chart but the price is just to high to justify getting one. I would if I could but I cant....

The MeFotos are fantastic. The roadtrip has served me very well on several trips :)

donsullivan

Premium Member
Ok, so I know this might provide some sticker shock but I figured I would pass along what I use... Really Right Stuff TVC33, they also make a short version http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7826/.f which is better for travel.

100% made in the US, everything down to the smallest bolt is sourced here. That kind of stuff is important to me. Also, this is the classic "pay once, cry once" product. No more messing with brands, upgrading, not having a feature you like. These are the REAL deal. This chart really helps.

I'll second the perspective on the amazing quality of everything from Really Right Stuff. I actually bought their travel tripod http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7822/.f about 15 months ago and could not be happier with it. It's small and lightweight (carbon fiber) enough to strap onto a backpack for the whole day. But I didn't compromise anything with stability at all, even with the center column extended in nearly all conditions. However, the price point of RRS gear is out of the realm of what most are willing (understandably) to spend on a tripod. For me this was the 4th tripod I've owned and I think I've found the one that meets met needs the best overall.

The one overall piece of advice I can give is before spending money you need to put your hands on as many different models from different manufacturers as you can. If you buy solely based on online reviews and ads, you will over time end up like I did with 3 tripods in the closet and a 4th one that I use in the quest for the right one for my needs. Visit local camera shops and look at what they have, pick them up and see how they feel and how stable they are before making your selection. In my case I had the opportunity to visit the vendor floor at Photoshop World in Orlando last year so I could see everything and talk to the manufacturers before making my decision.

A growing number of people are really liking the various models from MeFoto for good pricing and quality balance.

ddbowdoin

I'll second the perspective on the amazing quality of everything from Really Right Stuff. I actually bought their travel tripod http://www.reallyrightstuff.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7822/.f about 15 months ago and could not be happier with it. It's small and lightweight (carbon fiber) enough to strap onto a backpack for the whole day. But I didn't compromise anything with stability at all, even with the center column extended in nearly all conditions. However, the price point of RRS gear is out of the realm of what most are willing (understandably) to spend on a tripod. For me this was the 4th tripod I've owned and I think I've found the one that meets met needs the best overall.

The one overall piece of advice I can give is before spending money you need to put your hands on as many different models from different manufacturers as you can. If you buy solely based on online reviews and ads, you will over time end up like I did with 3 tripods in the closet and a 4th one that I use in the quest for the right one for my needs. Visit local camera shops and look at what they have, pick them up and see how they feel and how stable they are before making your selection. In my case I had the opportunity to visit the vendor floor at Photoshop World in Orlando last year so I could see everything and talk to the manufacturers before making my decision.

A growing number of people are really liking the various models from MeFoto for good pricing and quality balance.

Touche on the price... but you really get what you pay for. It's just north of Gitzo, but we all know the stories of the famous French (now Italian owned) Gitzo resting on their laurels and having major issues both with performance and support when things go wrong. How about 4 weeks for a specific Gitzo bolt?

WDI 1998

I totally agree with you Daniel but most of us can not afford it. I would defiantly go that route if I could but then I would be dead after my wife killed me......LOL

donsullivan

Premium Member
SO curious what you have in the closet and if you're willing to sell. I don't mind used gear.

The one that has most recently been relegated to secondary/backup status is a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4. It's only been used maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. A great tripod for travel (small and very durable) but I was having trouble with stability if I loaded it up with heavy gear. The bottom section of the legs is so small it was less stable in windy conditions than I prefer. One of the many things you learn over time which results in multiple tripods in the closet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t190cxpro4_190cxpro4_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

NowInc

The one that has most recently been relegated to secondary/backup status is a Manfrotto 190CXPRO4. It's only been used maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year. A great tripod for travel (small and very durable) but I was having trouble with stability if I loaded it up with heavy gear. The bottom section of the legs is so small it was less stable in windy conditions than I prefer. One of the many things you learn over time which results in multiple tripods in the closet.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...t190cxpro4_190cxpro4_carbon_fiber_tripod.html

Does it have a "hook" on the bottom part of the main tripod shaft? The reason I ask is that whenever I feel my MeFoto (which by the way is made by Benro for those wondering where this company came from) is a little "light", I simply hang my camera bag off that hook and it weighs it down REALLY nicely. Even with thinner legs it usually works in a bind.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Does it have a "hook" on the bottom part of the main tripod shaft? The reason I ask is that whenever I feel my MeFoto (which by the way is made by Benro for those wondering where this company came from) is a little "light", I simply hang my camera bag off that hook and it weighs it down REALLY nicely. Even with thinner legs it usually works in a bind.

It does not have a hook. That model is the one with the center column that can be slid all the way to the top and then dropped 90-degrees parallel to the ground so you can hang the camera out to the side of the center point. I've never used that feature but the release button is right at the base of the center column so no hook.

I have a hook on the RRS one but rarely use it for that purpose since, with any wind in the environment, it would cause the bag on the hook to swing, introducing motion into the tripod. Also, if the center post is extended, it leave little room to attach a back without some sort of extending cord which just increases the potential for swinging motion. The RRS tripod is much more solid overall so it's really not an issue since I got that one.

ddbowdoin

I totally agree with you Daniel but most of us can not afford it. I would defiantly go that route if I could but then I would be dead after my wife killed me......LOL

Yeah, it's certainly a financial commitment. My wife, ah... doesn't know. I sell enough work to buy the goods, not enough to make a living though =(

ddbowdoin

no problems with the "clips"?... I've heard the Italians are cheaping out on the plastic parts these days.

Last edited:

donsullivan

Premium Member
no problems with the "clips"?... I've heard the Italians are cheaping out on the plastic parts these days.

I've had it for a very long time and other than occasionally needing to tighten up the screws on the lever clamps between the segments I've had no quality problems at all with it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom