Trip to the World with a First Timer: Sept. 8-12 Pre-Trip & Trip Report

so exactly two weeks from today i will be arriving in orlando and beginning my vacation in walt disney world! :sohappy:

this trip is more exciting than usual for me because i am going with my best friend from college and former roommate, maggie. we both graduated in 2008 from elon university (woo!). after graduation, i stayed in nc and maggie moved back to her home state of georgia. since graduating we have only seen each other once :cry: and that was actually just this past may when she returned to nc to see her brother graduate from elon.

maggie_me.jpg

maggie and ashley (that's me) from the glory days of college. ahh...it's only been two years since graduating and i already miss it. good times.

so back in march maggie had mentioned that some of her friends had just returned from a vacation in wdw and they loved it. she has never been and she knows how much i love it so she asked if i would want to go with her and show her the world! ummm...did she really have to ask the question?! :lol: so immediately i kicked it into planning mode and we decided to go in september for value season and low crowds.

first we had to decide where we wanted to stay. maggie and i are both pretty frugal (i hate that word. let's say financially responsible instead) so i thought that maybe the values would be a definite for us. i had also suggested maybe doing a moderate or staying at the wilderness lodge since it is on the lower end price wise out of the deluxes. i was very pleased when maggie said she wanted to do her first trip right and we would splurge and stay at the wilderness lodge! i have never stayed here before so i am very excited to see what it's like. i also suggested that doing the dining plan might be a good idea and maggie was on board! (i love planning for someone who is so open to suggestion!) i figured that there would either be a room discount or free dining coming out after we booked the trip and sure enough, free dining came out for disney visa card holders (that would be me :D) and we got free dining. a financially responsible person's dream come true!

since this is maggie's first trip to the world, i decided to make her a "first timers guide to walt disney world" i put together a binder with information including the wdw planning dvd, free park maps, menus for the restaurants we would be eating at/considering eating at, disney trivia, park hours and a pair of minnie mouse ears! on her visit in may, we went over her binder and i showed her some shows i had on the dvr that were in wdw.

so now you know the planning process of how our trip came to be. now, on to the scheduled itinerary!

wednesday september 8th - arrival day
9:10am - i arrive at mco
9:20am - maggie arrives at mco (very nice planning!)
then we board the dme and head to the wl!
once we arrive we will have lunch at roaring fork, check out the room, hang out by the pool (weather permitting), check out the resort, etc.
3:00pm - head over to mk for our first park of the trip
TBD - dinner at a QS location TBD
9:00pm - watch wishes
head back to the resort after wishes

thursday september 9th - epcot and dhs
7:45am - head to epcot
11:30am - lunch at tutto italia for our first table service meal
1:00pm - head back to the wl for time by the pool, to relax, nap, etc.
4:00pm - head to dhs
5:50pm - dinner at sci fi dine in theater for the must see, amazing atmosphere this place has
8:30pm - see fantasmic!
head back to the wl after fantasmic!

friday september 10th - ak and epcot
7:30am - head to ak
TBD - grab breakfast at a QS TBD
1:10pm - head back to wl to get ready for dinner tonight
3:15pm - head to epcot
4:15pm - dinner at le cellier! (i have never been so i am interested to see if it lives up to the hype)
9:00pm - illuminations and then emh begin
12:00am - park closes, head back to the wl

saturday september 11th - dhs and mk
6:50am - head to dhs for morning emh
12:30pm - lunch at a QS TBD
1:30pm - head over to mk
3:00pm - watch the parade
7:00pm - head over to the contemporary for dinner
7:35pm - dinner at the wave
then show maggie the monorail resorts after dinner

sunday september 12th - dtd and departure day :cry:
8:30am - head to dtd
TBD - lunch at earl of sandwich
12:00pm - head back to wl then wait for dme to take us back to the airport
5:00pm - ashley departs from mco
5:30pm - maggie departs from mco

i am so excited for this trip and to experience seeing wdw with someone who has never been! i know i need to slow down from my normal pace and let maggie enjoy all the small things that make wdw so wonderful. its crazy, but i actually hope we have some wait times for attractions so she can see all the cool details that go into the queue.

i will be taking a ton of pictures while there and will try to post my trip report shortly after returning. thanks for reading!

HollyBelle

You are going to have so much fun, Ashley... I'm happy to see you've incorporated a good bit of resort relaxing/pool time in the plans. I think it will make for a much more enjoyable first visit for your friend. Can't wait to hear all about it.

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
I'll make sure to wave to you while we at WL 9/11 to 9/21. A couple of days overlap.

i'll be on the lookout for that wave! :wave:

Sounds like an amazing trip! I hope you have a great time!:wave:

thanks! i am really looking forward to it. it should be a fun new way to see wdw. i am really excited!

You are going to have so much fun, Ashley... I'm happy to see you've incorporated a good bit of resort relaxing/pool time in the plans. I think it will make for a much more enjoyable first visit for your friend. Can't wait to hear all about it.

thanks holly! i really tried to plan more time spent at the resort since we are staying at a deluxe and since maggie has never been. i really wanted us to get to enjoy the resort and take some time out to relax a little bit. normally i am going non-stop but i thought that might be a bad idea with a first timer.

How fun! I can't wait for the report!

thanks jenn! i'm loving reading your report right before i leave for my trip. its really helping me get excited and with all your beautiful pictures i am making a mental list of what pictures i want to take. :lol:

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
Just Got Back!

i just got back a couple hours ago from my trip. it was WONDERFUL! maggie had a great time and it was so wonderful to be back at the world. i am very exhausted from the fun filled 5 day trip. i took a TON of pictures that are currently being uploaded. so as soon as the pictures are uploaded, i will begin my trip report. can't wait to share all the fun details of my trip! :D

UPDATE: i decided to bring my laptop to work today so i could upload all 1058 pictures i took during my trip! they are all now uploaded to photobucket so i am good to go! i will post the beginning of the report tonight when i get home from work!

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
on with the trip report...

Day 1: Arrival and Magic Kingdom

my flight was at 7:30am leaving from rdu which meant i had to be at the airport by 6:00am. i am always nervous the night before a flight because i am worried that i will oversleep. so i probably woke up about every hour and looked at the clock. finally it was time for me to wake up, so i said bye to my dog daisy and then headed to the airport. luckily, i live very close to the airport so i was out the door by 5:45 and sitting and waiting at the gate by 6:15am.

i love flying southwest because of the great flight attendants, low prices and the fact that they serve peanuts. well, of course i was on a flight with someone who had a peanut allergy so no peanuts. :( bummer. we were supposed to land at 9:10 but we actually landed at 8:55! woo hoo! i love landing early almost as much as i love honey roasted peanuts :lol:

maggie's flight didn't get in until 9:20, so i headed to disney's magical express and waited for maggie to arrive. maggie got there around 9:25 and we got in line for our bus to the wilderness lodge!

IMG_6746.jpg

we were the first ones in line for the bus and i was really excited because i wanted to make sure we had a front row seat so maggie could see the walt disney world sign.

IMG_6747.jpg

we boarded the bus at 9:40 and were off to the resort by 9:50. and not too soon after we saw the most glorious sight!

IMG_6750.jpg

we made a quick stop at the poly and then it was off to the wl! we arrived at 10:34 and were immediately in awe of the beautiful resort!

IMG_7744.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

we went to the online check in line and no one was there. we checked in and our room was ready! sweet! and we found out that we were on the first floor and right near the roaring fork! AMAZING! i was so excited that we didn't have to walk very far to and from the buses and the ferry. and not to mention we were close to the fountain drink station to refill our mugs! we headed straight to our room to check it out.

IMG_6777.jpg

IMG_6761.jpg

IMG_6764.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_6763.jpg

IMG_6766.jpg

IMG_6762.jpg

i loved all the little details in this resort! the headboard on the bed was so detailed. and i loved this little guy on the top of the bed post!

IMG_6768.jpg

since we were on the first floor we had a really cute little patio and we also had a great view of the resort. if you look closely, you can see we also had a little view of the pool.

IMG_6772.jpg

IMG_6773.jpg

after we checked out our room, we changed into our bathing suits and headed out to check out the rest of the resort, grab some food from roaring fork and hang out by the pool.

IMG_6778.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

IMG_7749.jpg

IMG_7758.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_7753.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

IMG_7766.jpg

IMG_7768.jpg

IMG_7737.jpg

mmmm...i was so excited for lunch! i was also excited because we were getting our resort refillable mugs! yay! i got the yellow one since that is the only color i didn't have already at home. so now i have a complete set! :lol: i got the turkey and dill havarti sandwich with chips and a rice crispy treat for dessert. it was very delicious! :slurp:

IMG_6779.jpg

maggie got the wilderness salad and a rice crispy treat. she said her salad was really good. you will notice that she ate way healthier than i did on this trip at about every restaurant.

IMG_6781.jpg

IMG_6782.jpg

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
after lunch we meandered around the resort, of course taking a TON of pictures.

IMG_6783.jpg

IMG_6786.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6791.jpg

IMG_6794.jpg

IMG_6796.jpg

IMG_6801.jpg

IMG_6802.jpg

IMG_6803.jpg

IMG_6805.jpg

i loved these lanterns! i thought they were so pretty.

WishIWasAtWDW

Original Poster
IMG_6807.jpg

IMG_6810.jpg

IMG_6811.jpg

after our tour of the resort, it was finally time to sit by the pool! yay for the florida sun! man, was it hot! we were in the pool within twenty minutes of laying out. the pool was really needed to cool off in the crazy hot weather. after about an hour and a half out by the pool, we headed back to the room to get ready to go to the magic kingdom! i was really excited for maggie to see the park.

we saw this little guy on our way to the ferry. i really felt like we were in the wilderness at our resort! animals were all over the place!

IMG_6813.jpg

we were at the dock at 2 and a boat arrived by 2:06. niiiiice. i love it when that happens! we hopped on the ferry and were at the magic kingdom by 2:20.

IMG_6817.jpg

i wanted to stroll down main street and really let maggie soak in the magic of the magic kingdom! we made our way down main street and stopped for a quick photo in front of the castle.

IMG_6818.jpg

i wanted to start our tour in adventureland and work our way around to tomorrowland, so by the time we got to tomorrowland it would be all lit up for maggie to see. i just love that part of the park at night! so we took a left at the hub and it was off for an adventure! our first ride was pirates and maggie couldn't get over how real all of the animatronics looked. that would be a theme for all of the rides with animatronic people. maggie would turn to me and say "is that a real person?" :lol: ohhh maggie.

IMG_6820.jpg

IMG_6821.jpg

after pirates, it was over to the jungle cruise. such a fun and corny ride! maggie enjoyed the jokes from our skipper!

IMG_6822.jpg

then it was over to the tiki room, mostly for the air conditioning. i wanted maggie to see everything, so we tried to do everything, even if they weren't the best attractions.

sorry to stop here but i am still exhausted from the trip. more posts to come tomorrow...

lisak09

Great trip report so far, keep it coming:). WL looks amazing, i would love to stay there. Your photos are brilliant, looking forward to seeing lots more!

HopLow

Can't wait to read more! I am going with a first-timer in January, so I'd love to see what Maggie liked the most, so I can make sure I hit those things with my friend. Great TR so far!

HollyBelle

Yay... you're back! And by the looks of it you're going to have your whole trip report completed before I finish mine! :lol: All your pictures of the Wilderness Lodge have me really wanting to plan another trip there. I love Silver Creek Springs and it looks like you had a great room. Looking forward to more! :sohappy:

Rach&Eric

Great TR and I love the WL pics since it is up there in my choices for resorts with a First Timer in May. Keep it coming!!! :sohappy:

DecWDW

Don't you just love planning and taking a newbie! I got to do that in 2007! It's so exciting! I love that headboard in your room, it's so beautiful. Your room location looked nice too. I'm never too sure about the ground floor, but it really makes it seem like you're in the wilderness.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom