Trip Report Trip Report IV: A New Hope ***Completed***

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

Trip Report IV: A New Hope

It is a period of domestic unrest. After years of wearing him down BES has won her first victory in getting DH to join her at WDW.

After her last adventure to WDW BES managed to uncover DH’s not so secret plans to see Disney’s ultimate weapon: STAR WARS STUFF.

Pursuant to DH’s hint of interest, BES raced to plan an awesome trip to win her spouse over to the Disney side of THE FORCE and restore freedom to the galaxy...

When: January 31st to February 6th
Where: Port Orleans- Riverside
Who: Just DH and myself (BES)

Here’s the pre-trip report.

I’ll start with something I finished in between trips. I’m not kidding when I say we are a pro-SW household:

732763AA-6770-469D-B1D4-08C039203631.jpeg

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 5: February 4th continued

Our first FP was for KS. Our guide, Rebecca, was excellent.

A97C9421-5409-4127-B80A-373BDCB11F5D.jpeg

There was family behind us who all seemed a little dull. Not trying to be mean but they were.

The guide would point out and name something like the painted dogs and then the entire family would be like “oh hyenas!” All while the guide was listing off facts and repeating the name painted dogs. 🤦🏻‍♀️

One of kids asked aloud “wouldn’t it be great to hunt that?!” in reference to the ankole cattle. 🤦🏻‍♀️

It was amusing to listen to them. They are were genuinely having their minds blown by what they were seeing and hearing.

Near the end the would be hunter kid lamented that he knew he wouldn’t remember any of these cool facts but wished he could.

D224E367-8852-4CEE-A7FB-36D893009722.jpeg

Trunks up! @Darstarr

After the Safari we started to make our way to lunch. We didn’t make it far due to the musician performing in Africa.

37891C3F-8F57-4184-97D7-5108078B6897.jpeg

DH: “It’s a kora! I’ve never seen anyone actual play them. Just recording.” 😍

We listened off to the side for quite a while. DH was so excited and impressed that the musician didn’t even miss a beat as he took pictures and chatted with folks.

We eventually made it to Saut’uli Canteen for lunch and even found a table outside.

0E832B84-5D61-41D0-BF45-2A7B45B90F3F.jpeg

DH really liked the food and even reiterated how great he thought the Safari was.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

After lunch we went to FoP. Although I don’t care for this ride I didn’t want to deprive DH of the experience.
He was pretty underwhelmed.

I closed my eyes for most of it as per usual but did notice that the screen seemed really blurry. DH commented on the blurriness afterwards too.

FoP ride exit just happens to bring you by the Pongu lumpia. Unlike the beignets we each got one. This is one of my fav Disney snacks so there was no sharing.

We then explored the Gorilla Falls Trail.

8A095415-978F-4235-966C-DD060E077B8F.jpeg

Soon it was time for our Nemo show time. DH liked the puppetry but I don’t think he enjoyed the show as much as I do.

We walked the Maharajah Jungle Trek.

4EF1E678-F99A-4A77-8E02-4EEA3CF9AD59.jpeg

We were in a weird spot time-wise. It was too early to go to our dinner but not quite enough time to get in a long line or go to Nomad Lounge.

DH had an idea.

☕

Well he got regular Coffee and I got a Kahlua-tini. ☕🍸

We drank and rested and then made our way out of the park.

9EBB4ADB-5200-41CE-A6E7-1B21685C4AC5.jpeg

Dear readers- what is/was the crane in Asia for?

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

We hopped on a bus to AKL.

There was still some time before our reservation so we wandered around the resort. DH was appropriately impressed with AKL.

Saw these guys in the Arusha area behind the lobby:

524F953E-97EB-4FBB-8FC7-C47BA685B20A.jpeg

6617E518-28E7-47AE-8E0E-B983AEADC683.jpeg

Where was dinner?

84ACBEA2-C172-42D9-A54E-C0F071E8B16A.jpeg

I’ll give you two guesses. 😂

Boma! DH likes to try new foods. I figured the buffet style of Boma would be perfect for him to try a lot of different stuff.

Got seated in this sweet window area. (No table neighbors for the first little bit. Our reservation was right at dinner opening time)

8DB7D085-B918-4255-95CC-B6486EEC2296.jpeg

Brahim, our waiter, was fantastic. DH had a great time. He was a big fan of the POG juice and all of the food he tried.

My dessert selection:

CBE25AC5-13A2-4771-AED6-FB686477BD71.jpeg

(Let’s be honest. This some of my dessert selection 🤣)

I can’t decide if I like Boma better for breakfast or dinner. Both were good. I’m thinking in a future trip though I can get DH to go to Sanaa or Jiko. Or both.

I also think I can also get him to stay at AKL. Unless he sees the prices. 🤫

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hey BES! Not TR related but I just tried to DM you and it wouldnt let me. Now I know what @Tink86 felt like.
Anyhow, I was just checking up on you.

Physically I am doing fine still. Mentally/emotionally it depends on the day.

PPE and cleaning supplies are in short supply at my work. I feel like I’m not able to take as many precautions as I would like because I feel guilty using what a patient or front line employee could use instead.

Hope all is well with your and your family. The MI numbers aren’t great but are nothing in comparison to NY.

Swissmiss

Premium Member

PPE and cleaning supplies are in short supply at my work. I feel like I’m not able to take as many precautions as I would like because I feel guilty using what a patient or front line employee could use instead.

But don‘t you have some health issues that would put you at a higher risk than the average person? (At least that is what I am remembering). If so, you shouldn’t feel guilty taking precautions!

k8einwdw

Hope all is well with your and your family. The MI numbers aren’t great but are nothing in comparison to NY.
I'm assuming by the wording that you work in healthcare...could you use some homemade face masks? One of our local hospitals is asking their staff to wear the same N95 mask for 30 days, so I've been sewing up masks (to be worn over the N95 masks) to donate to them. I'd be happy to send you some if you need them!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
But don‘t you have some health issues that would put you at a higher risk than the average person? (At least that is what I am remembering). If so, you shouldn’t feel guilty taking precautions!

Yes. I do fall into the high risk category so I know I shouldn’t feel guilty but it’s hard not to. I’ve been immune surpressed for over 5 years now.

I'm assuming by the wording that you work in healthcare...could you use some homemade face masks? One of our local hospitals is asking their staff to wear the same N95 mask for 30 days, so I've been sewing up masks (to be worn over the N95 masks) to donate to them. I'd be happy to send you some if you need them!

Thank you for the kind offer for now I’m ok with masks. And also thanks for making them for your local hospital.

My issue moreso is touch contamination than droplet exposure. My department involves a lot of touching of technology that is often communal. And social distancing isn’t really possible in our workspace.

We are short on hospital grade cleaning wipes, alcohol and gloves etc. So I’m trying to wipe stuff down and hand wash a lot but I can’t really before every surface touch. And due to the shear amount of fingerprint scans we're forced to do I would go through too many gloves.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster

My night pictures are terrible especially from this evening so my apologies for a no pic post...

After dinner we hopped a bus to MK. I love MK at night and thought it was open until 9pm.

As we entered I realized it was only open til 8pm. 🤦🏻‍♀️ It was now 6:40 so we had to be efficient.

Used a FP for PotC I snagged while on the bus.

Then off to HM at about 720pm. DH was very impressed.

Got in line for Pan at about 745pm.

By the time we were off the fireworks we just beginning. I am pretty neutral about fireworks. DH likes them from a distance only. He does not like loud noises.

So, with DH covering his ears, we power walked like we’ve never power walked before and went for the buses. (It was like a FoP ropedrop fast.)

I was excited that we got to use the Main Street USA bypass. Another Disney first for me. 👍🏻

We were on a bus by 8:15pm.

Logged just over 25,000 steps that day.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
I keep meaning to finish this TR. It feels kinda wrong to talk about something so happy and frivolous.

Part of thinks it’ll put me in a better mood. The other part of me knows I’m up to the final park day of my TR and I’m not quite ready to let yet another good thing stop.

Work just keeps getting busier and busier. We’re not even the hardest hit hospital in the area. The really sick patients are just going through meds like crazy.

The ventilator situation has been in the news a lot but I don’t see as much news about impending shortages of meds to support patients on vents. (Here’s a good article I did see.)

Hopefully the curve flattening is working and we don’t get more overwhelmed.

There’s a saying that a bartender is a pharmacist with a limited inventory. Here’s to hoping I don’t get to full bartender status. 🥃 🍸😐

8CEE8071-2B3B-4AF4-9C9F-AA7E3D1D918B.jpeg

Tuvalu

Premium Member
You are giving patients A New Hope.

I’m sure that was the furthest thing from your mind when you created your trip report title.

But it’s the truth. Thank you for your efforts in the battle against COVID 19.

And it’s never wrong to talk about happy things in time of crisis. We humans crave positivity. It gives us hope. It distracts us from consuming too much of anything (whether information, food, intoxicants) that is not healthy for us.

I look forward to the conclusion of your report when you are ready to write it. ❤

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Day 6 February 5th

Up at 630am for our last park day. Our intention was to rope drop at MK. I think it had EMH from 8-9 and regular opened at 9am.

Were at the bus stop by 710. The depot was very crowded and no MK arrival time was listed. Back to room for our forgotten water bottles. (Today was our last day to use them)

Back to east depot. Still no MK bus. Still really crowded.

Decided to do breakfast instead. We got our traditional kids breakfast. Then to south depot. Again crazy lines. We saw multiple buses for all other parks and none for MK.

Finally 3 MK buses came. We got on the 2nd one at 825am. There went our RD advantage or so we thought...

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
You are giving patients A New Hope.

I’m sure that was the furthest thing from your mind when you created your trip report title.

But it’s the truth. Thank you for your efforts in the battle against COVID 19.

And it’s never wrong to talk about happy things in time of crisis. We humans crave positivity. It gives us hope. It distracts us from consuming too much of anything (whether information, food, intoxicants) that is not healthy for us.

I look forward to the conclusion of your report when you are ready to write it. ❤

☺️ Aww. Thanks @Tuvalu .♥️♥️ When I initially read your response I was at work and teared up a little. (Only a little so as not to have to touch my face to wipe any tears away.😉)

ferbtones

🙋🏻 Count me among the immune suppressed.

I live in the U.K. and the government has mailed letters to people like me telling us how high risk we are, and that we need to shield at home for 12 weeks. There were 1.8 million people on the list.

Just entering my third week not being able to go anywhere, and not being able to hug my husband or my 16 year old DS or 12 year old DD. Hubby is a food delivery driver so is still working through our countrywide lockdown. Kids have been off school for three weeks now, although they are getting work online.

I am classed as a key worker, pension benefits, so it is hard for me not to be able to help my colleagues, but I do feel privileged that my government is trying to protect people like me.

It's a terrible time, but through it all I enjoy popping on here and reading these wonderful trip reports from the awesome @Darstarr , @Tuvalu , @ajrwdwgirl , @riverside , @bee , @Doc Disney , @Figment Forever and so many more so please keep them coming. I have 10 more weeks I need to fill.

And please all of you and your families stay safe. You are in my thoughts. ❤️

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
🙋🏻 Count me among the immune suppressed.

I live in the U.K. and the government has mailed letters to people like me telling us how high risk we are, and that we need to shield at home for 12 weeks. There were 1.8 million people on the list.

Just entering my third week not being able to go anywhere, and not being able to hug my husband or my 16 year old DS or 12 year old DD. Hubby is a food delivery driver so is still working through our countrywide lockdown. Kids have been off school for three weeks now, although they are getting work online.

I am classed as a key worker, pension benefits, so it is hard for me not to be able to help my colleagues, but I do feel privileged that my government is trying to protect people like me.

It's a terrible time, but through it all I enjoy popping on here and reading these wonderful trip reports from the awesome @Darstarr , @Tuvalu , @ajrwdwgirl , @riverside , @bee , @Doc Disney , @Figment Forever and so many more so please keep them coming. I have 10 more weeks I need to fill.

And please all of you and your families stay safe. You are in my thoughts. ❤

Thanks for your kind words about my report and others. I hope you stay safe and healthy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom