Trip Report - Days 1+2

Well, we left on the morning of 11/12. It was VERY difficult to leave, with the weather forcast for sunny and 85. This was our third trip to Disney, and we have stayed at the Poly every time. A big thanks to this Board, and the Tikiman website (thanks Steve), for the wealth of info provided that I used to plan and enjoy our last 2 trips.

For our first night, I had a room-only reservation at the Poly, with the DreamMaker package for 4 days (lagoon view concierge). We were notified 2 weeks prior that DIS reservation system overbooked the Poly on 11/7, and they had to move us to the Beach Club (concierge). I wasn't pleased, but had no choice. So, we checked in Friday night (11/7), walked around the Boardwalk, and went to Beaches + Cream. I was not impressed with B+C at all (slow service, crowded, and overpriced). The resort is beautiful, but a little too big for us. I think we are so spoiled by the Poly, that anything else doesn't compare. My kids (DS15, DS14, DS8) did not care at all for the food in concierge.

So, the next morning, at 7:00 am, DS15 and I took a cab to the Poly to pick up our resort/park passes. My wife and 2 other sons slept in. At the Poly concierge, Phil took care of us, and although he wouldn't tell me our room #, he assured me that we would have a clear view of the castle. I requested 3501 - 3505. Phil was great, and he actually grew up in Brockton Ma., 10 minutes from where I now live in Halifax, Ma. DS and I had breakfast at Kona (I had a PS at 9:00 am), and then took a cab back to the BC. The BC concierge was kind enough to reimburse me the $28 including tip for the round trip cab fare. We arranged for the luggage to be transported over to the Poly, checked out, and left for Magic Kingdom.

Magic Kingdom was crowded, but we rode Space Mountain and Buzz twice, and then we headed over to Splash Mountain. The standby wait was over an hour, and Fast PAss return was 4:00ish. I was about 2:00 pm, and I was eager to check-in at the Poly. We all agreed to head over to the Poly to see if our room was ready, and go for a swim. We took the Monorail, and when we came downstairs at the GCH and the doors opened to the pool area, DS8 exclaimed - "We're back - this is the best day of my life". That made my whole trip right there.

Were were assigned room 3517, and I was a little disappointed. But, as soon as I saw the view, and the kids had no complaints, it was fine with me (we had 3502 last year). I signed up for the "Family Plan" ($211) at the marina, and my 2 oldest were thrilled that they would be able to use the boats for as long as they like and on any of the 4 full days were were there. My wife and DS8 spent the rest of the afternoon at the pool, resting up for the 8:00 pm Spirit of Aloha show. Wife and I enjoyed the food and show, the kids were bored until the end where they perform the juggling routine with fire.

That was the end of our first full day.

11/03 Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge

johnvree

We love the Poly too. I've stayed there 3 times, concierge the last time. I have never had a problem with the reservations.

It kind of bums me out that you did. Did they give you any explanation other than, "we're overbooked". At the $400 plus a night that I assume you paid, it surprises me that they could not find a way to accomodate you. Did they at least comp you at the BC? If the only thing they did for you was the cab fare, that surprises me too. At least you got to experience the BC.

DouglasE

I'm glad that you were finally able to have the vacation you wanted. Isn't that Tikiman site great!?! Looking forward to readin more.

kal1484

I can totally understand your disapointment with BC, I highly disliked it at BC. Poly has MUCH better service. But it sounds like all in all it was a good trip! :sohappy:

stevedis

Original Poster
The person from Reservations explanation was that they were changing to a new system, and that this is what caused the overbookings. I've read where others have received the same call over the last couple of months. It was nice to stay on the Boardwalk, we had never been over to that area. The BC is quite a resort, but does not compare to the Poly. The concierge service and food is much better at the Poly.

All in all, a nice trip. I can't wait to return, whenever that may be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom