Trip Report Trip Report - 4/30 - 5/6

I just concluded my final day at Walt Disney World, visiting all 4 parks and Disney Springs during my time there. I had not been to WDW in several years so there were a number of changes that I found surprising and some rather disappointing. My observations (to include changes I noticed as well as just general observations) follow.

Transportation and Ticket Center
I was extremely disappointed to see that Disney has greatly diminished the role of the TTC. No longer can you catch a bus from there to the parks or resort hotels -- now you must board a monorail or boat to the Magic Kingdom and catch a bus there. I have nostalgic feelings about the TTC and was really sad to see the large number of empty bus lanes that used to be filled with Disney buses. I really do not understand the rationale for this change -- it is very inconvenient for the many guests that arrive at the TTC via a bus from their hotel, etc. Of all of the changes I witnessed, this was perhaps the most upsetting.

Disney Security Screening
I don't really see Disney's security screening process as much more than "security theater." The idea that it is going to prevent a serious security incident seems quite unlikely to me. There is just such inconsistency ... in some cases, they check your bag and then say you don't need to go through the metal detectors (well what if I had something in my pockets?) and other times they ask you to. In addition, their screening of bags is cursory at best -- in one case, the security officer just glanced in my bag (without even removing the raincoat that was obstructing the view of the contents) and told me to go ahead. They also do not seem to screen guests arriving via the resort monorail from a Disney hotel loading station. Lastly, Epcot guests arriving from TTC are unnecessarily screened twice.

Disney Monorail
The monorail is clearly showing its age. Given the amount of money Disney makes, I don't understand the reluctance to upgrade the monorail vehicles, but I suppose they are still serving their purpose for now. I was very disappointed to see that the monorail spiels have become so minimal and uninformative. Also, there was a long wait between monorails -- clearly they didn't have enough running and those they had running were not well spaced apart.

Magic Kingdom
I'll refrain from saying anything about the Hall of "Presidents" beyond that they have made a joke of it -- I'm not sure they had much choice but I will never step foot in it again. Aside from that, outside of Fantasyland, it is difficult for me to observe much change from the early 2000's. Tomorrowland, once my favorite, is looking extremely dated and though I much preferred Alien Encounter, I was saddened to see that "Stitch has left the building" -- I hope they will soon find a replacement for this space. I was delighted to see that there were a significant number of people riding the Carousel of Progress, a classic that I would be very sad to see go. In fact, today (5/5), the theater was 3/4 full and a steady stream of visitors going in and out (even before rain started). While I do wish they would apply some updates to it, very glad to see they seem to be keeping it up.

Epcot
While there are several attractions I enjoy at Epcot -- Test Track, Living with the Land, American Adventure, Mission: Space among them, I find a lot to be depressed about there as well. Innoventions is at the top of that list -- I don't know what to make of what they have done to those buildings, but really miss the exhibits. The Wonders of Life still sadly sits unmentioned, unused. While admittedly it wasn't an extremely busy day when I visited, I'm really surprised to see how little interest there seems to be in Mission: Space. While I terribly miss it's predecessor and wish it didn't exist, it does exist and for what it is, it is a reasonably thrilling attraction, but just doesn't seem to draw big crowds. The Land pavilion looks very dated. Though I enjoyed Living with the Land as always (and though I didn't see it this time - do enjoy Soarin'), the pavilion itself looks stuck in the 80's.

Disney's Hollywood Studios
I really miss the days when this park at least attempted to appear to be a working studio. Now it is clear that it is truly nothing more than a movie-themed, promotion-driven theme park. I really struggle to find much to love about this park anymore. Sure, Rockin' Rollercoaster and Twilight Zone Tower of Terror are still thrilling, but the nostalgia is largely gone with the closing of the Backlot Tour and Great Movie Ride. It now seems to be truly be a dumping ground for all of the latest IPs that have children screaming for a new toy.

Animal Kingdom
Animal Kingdom has grown to become my favorite park. I still thoroughly enjoy some of the older attractions (Kilimanjaro Safaris, Dinosaur, It's Tough to Be a Bug, Expedition Everest among them) and also thoroughly enjoy some of the newer entries (Avatar Flight of Passage is quite engaging -- not sure it was worth the 2+ hour wait though). It is truly amazing how beautiful the landscaping in this part of the park is. I was a little disappointed to see that the maintenance of the Dinosaur attraction seems to be lacking -- there seems to be one or more dinosaurs not functioning every time I go on it. I don't much care for many of the newer entries in Dinoland, but I do appreciate that they are more geared towards the youngsters.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Disney Security Screening
I don't really see Disney's security screening process as much more than "security theater." The idea that it is going to prevent a serious security incident seems quite unlikely to me. There is just such inconsistency ... in some cases, they check your bag and then say you don't need to go through the metal detectors (well what if I had something in my pockets?) and other times they ask you to. In addition, their screening of bags is cursory at best -- in one case, the security officer just glanced in my bag (without even removing the raincoat that was obstructing the view of the contents) and told me to go ahead. They also do not seem to screen guests arriving via the resort monorail from a Disney hotel loading station. Lastly, Epcot guests arriving from TTC are unnecessarily screened twice.

The Pulse nightclub shooter was apparently deterred from an attack at Disney Springs by the presence of a uniformed police officer. I think that speaks volumes about the important of the security checkpoints.

The resort guests are screened at the hotel before boarding the monorail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom