Trip Report -12 day British Isles Cruise on the Disney Magic-June 9-June 21, 2017

JenTen1585

Original Poster
I just returned from our amazing 12 day British Isles Cruise on the Disney Magic! I figured I would try my hand at a trip report since I didn't see many on here for cruises prior to my trip. It will take me a few days to get through.
The players are myself (Jen), my husband (Derek), and our 8 year old daughter, Dakota.

Pre-cruise-Day 1
My husband and I, when budgeting for our cruise, had budgeted $1000.00 per person for airline flights from Ft. Myers, Ft. Lauderdale, or Miami, FL to London. We had researched it and while the most common flights cost upwards of $1500.00, I convinced my husband that if we just kept looking and had plenty of time, we could get them for $1000.00 or under. He thought I was being too optimistic but I am a bargain shopper and willing to put the time in. We would look every morning for months. One morning, I'm looking on expedia from my work computer, and I see a direct plane flight from Ft. Lauderdale to London Gatwick on British Airlines for $450.00 per person! I thought it must be a gimmick, but clicked on it and there were no additional fees. I was at work and called my husband from work and said excitedly, "Do you see it??!" He said "I see it!" I said, "Book it!!!" And we did! All three of us with direct flights at good times for under 1500.00! I couldn't believe our good luck! So fast forward 6 months and we arrived at Ft. Lauderdale airport on June 6th and see balloons all over the check in for British Airways. The attendants smiled big smiles and informed us that we were on British Airways first flight out of Ft. Lauderdale!!! (Now we finally understood why the flight was so cheap!) We arrived at a brand new section of the airport to see tv crews and live music and cupcakes with US and Great Britain flags! They did a rope cutting for British Airways first flight from Ft. Lauderdale! We had no idea but it felt like a fantastic and auspicious start to our trip!!! Of course, with so many eyes on us, the flight took off right on time and we had a smooth flight to Gatwick. We left at 5:30pm Florida time on June 6, 2017, and arrived at 6:30am London time on June 7, 2017. After we were served dinner, we tried our best to sleep to avoid jet lag. We had a hard time but all three of us got at least a little shut eye and were running on adrenaline as we landed.

Pre-cruise-Day 2
After we arrived in Gatwick, customs was smooth and we quickly picked up our luggage within minutes. We then followed the signs for the Gatwick Express to Victoria Station. We bought our tickets from the live agent and we were just in time to walk on the train as the doors closed. The train was very nice and smooth and we were at Victoria Station in a half hour. I believe the cost was around 32 pounds. At Victoria Station, we proceeded to the taxis and took a black taxi for 15 pounds to our hotel - the Thistle Hotel at Trafalgar Square. We weren't far from the hotel, but the traffic was horrendous. But our driver was very nice and kept up a stead stream of conversation about what we were driving past. Our hotel was very centrally located, easy walking distance to all the sites of London, however, what we did not realize is that Trafalgar Square, while centrally located, often closes to traffic for events. But we planned to walk for most our time there so as you will see, it didn't cause too many problems. We checked into the hotel, but as we suspected, they did not have our room ready at 7:30am. No problem. They took and stored our bags in a back room no charge. The lobby was small but nice and we could see a nice looking restaurant attached, but we weren't hungry yet as we were served breakfast on the plane. So as per my plan, we started our walk towards Hyde Park. I thought it would be good for our jet lag to get in fresh air and walking and didn't suspect much else would be open so early in the morning. We got to Hyde Park in less than 15 minutes, but I had underestimated the scope and size of Hyde Park! After walking for a while and seeing several beautiful gates, fountains, and statues, we decided we weren't anywhere close to the Diana memorial playground (my daughter's goal, but on the other side of the park completely from where we came in) and we decided to call it off and exit onto Oxford Street for some shopping. But first we stopped for breakfast at a lovely pub looking chain restaurant and I ordered the traditional english breakfast. I do like beans. It's weird with eggs, but I was glad I tried it anyways. My husband and daughter ordered eggs benedict and grilled cheese respectively. After our second breakfast, the stores were open on Oxford Street so I did some shopping at their local low end stores (Primark, Next, Zara). I wasn't at the top of my shopping game - a little bleary eyed and light headed from travelling, so I only purchased one shirt. But the clothing was very cute, and quite affordable. We got to the Disney Store and I bought some Disney London souvenirs (water bottle, notebook, and shirt - same as I did in Copenhagen for my last Disney cruise- my new goal is Disney shirts from all over the world) and then walked back to Trafalgar Square. By this time, our hotel was ready and the streets were getting full. It was Pride Parade and celebration weekend in Trafalgar Square and all of the traffic lights were even changed to show support (so cute)! Busy but interesting! We were all exhausted so we all took showers and then set our alarms for 2 hours as I informed my family I didn't want us all messed up time wise, but surrendered that we needed at least a nap. After a blissful and dreamless 2 hours, we all groggily got up and dressed. After getting dressed, we all felt a bit restored and headed out on foot towards the London Eye. We stopped on the way for dinner at a cheap looking restaurant to share 2 cheese burgers and fries. The place was right across from the London Eye. I have to tell you - it was disgusting. The burgers were dry and the fries were tasteless. My husband and I just shook our heads at ourselves and vowed to be more discriminate tomorrow and not just stop at the first place we saw. After "dinner" we bought our tickets for the London eye and got in line (I mean que!)! It was a long line, but it moved fast and we were on within a half hour. It was beautiful seeing the London skyline and Big Ben and very comfortable in the pod. I was so excited to be in London after planning our vacation for so long and you couldn't wipe the smile off my face! After the Eye, Dakota of course spotted the really cool playground near by and had a blast climbing all over the logs. Dakota never misses a good playground so this made up for bailing on the walk to Diana's memorial playground in Hyde Park earlier in the day. After the playground, we rode the old carousel nearby and then walked across the bridge back to our hotel - only about a 10 minute walk. By this time, the pride celebration was in full swing and the streets were full! We went to the restaurant in our hotel and ordered two decadent desserts (an apple cobbler and awesome, rich chocolate brownie and ice cream) which totally made up for the gross dinner. Then we tiredly went up to our room and were out cold as soon as our heads hit the pillow.

(To be continued, along with pictures for the first two days later on this evening ...)

JenTen1585

Original Poster
enhance

Gate at Hyde Park

enhance

Fountain at Hyde Park

enhance

Disney Store in London

enhance

Brunch at the steakhouse (full English breakfast).

enhance

Trafalgar Square

enhance

Getting ready to go on the London Eye

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Playground by the Eye

enhance

Carousel by the Eye (disregard the closed eyes, only picture we have =()
enhance

Walking back home! Good night London Day 1!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Pre-Cruise-Day 2 in London
After a nice long sleep we woke up a little later than anticipated at 8:30am! But we felt good and on the right time! We had free breakfast at our hotel (a pretty big breakfast buffet, which was good!)! Then we set out towards the Tower of London. The streets around Trafalgar were closed for the Pride Parade, so we walked to Charing Cross Station (only a 5 minute walk or so) and went down to see if we should brave the underground to get to the Tower. We got a little overwhelmed since it appears that we would have to switch trains, and the cost was only a few dollars difference for the 3 of us, so we went back up the stairs and found a cab instead. The cab dropped us off at the Tower. The lines weren't too bad to get in as it was still before 10am. The Tower was fascinating to me. It's a fairly big complex. It was built originally by William the Conqueror (the Norman) after he conquered England. And it was used as a fortress and a prison and still houses the crown jewels to this day. Monarchs stayed there occasionally and there are royal residences, but no monarch much liked living there for an extended period of time. The White Tower is the largest and oldest building there and contains a chapel, as well as the armory- which was really cool, seeing all the armor and weapons!! My daughter took hold of the camera at this point and we have about 100 shots of weapons and armor! As a prison, it was used mostly for political prisoners who were high class in the beginning and the prisoners were kept in fairly decent style and comfort. Ann Boleyn was of course famously kept at the Tower of London. The Tower has actually been a tourist attraction since Queen Elizabeth I's reign and it used to have a menagerie of exotic animals, which are now memorialized by beautiful statues around the palace. The animals were not treated well, obviously. When the English Civil War happened and Charles I was removed from the throne, all the crown jewels were destroyed or sold. So all the crown jewels had to be replenished and re bought starting with Charles II in 1660. A few old pieces, which had been sold, have been donated or sold back to the monarchy. The crowns are really cool to see. Back in the day, guests used to be able to touch them! They were almost stolen by Thomas Blood in the late 1700s. Anyways, lots to see and explore at the Tower of London but after around 3 hours, my Dakota was tired of it (she's a really good girl, very well behaved and easy going, but every 8 year old has their limits on history). So we exited towards the Tower Bridge. We were hungry, so we got a couple of muffins, coffees and juice at the starbucks right by the Tower Bridge. Then we crossed the Tower Bridge. So cool! A very pretty and cool looking site! We thought about taking the tour, but Dakota wasn't into it. We walked up the Thames until we came to a Thames River Cruise and bought tickets back towards Trafalgar Square. The cruise was quick and easy and dropped us off close to our hotel. By this time the streets were mobbed with people dressed in rainbows. It was a beautiful and interesting site and I loved the spirit of the gathering. We missed the actual parade but it was fun seeing all the beautiful people! My husband was a little overwhelmed by the crowds though. We made our way through and to the Lego store. What a cool lego store! They have a london bus, guard, and whole city scape built out of legos. The store is 2 floors! Very cool! My daughter got a couple of souvenirs and we headed back to our hotel for a rest. I picked up snacks at the convenience store across from the hotel and we put our feet up for a bit, then got ready for the evening!!!
I was looking forward to this all day! I love the theater and had bought us tickets to see Matilda at the Cambridge Theater! We walked through the masses of crowds towards the theater district, not far from our hotel. Along the way, we came upon an Italian restaurant called Jamie's that looked trendy and fun! It was so, so, so good (fresh pasta!) and really affordable! After a fantastic dinner, we walked to the theater. Matilda was so good and so much fun!!! We sat is Row S, on the ground floor, which was perfect! The view was great and Dakota as well as Derek and I really enjoyed the music and the show!
After we got out of the theater, the crowds for the pride celebration had grown even thicker! Derek's eyes got wide and a bit panicked. Then we saw a row of rickshaws lined up outside the theater. One was blaring the Matilda music. So we quickly boarded and spent a fantastic 10 minute ride to our hotel while the driver blared the Matilda music and expertly wove through the crowds! The wind was in our hair and I had a huge smile on my face! It was worth the exorbitant price (35 pounds!)! It was just one of those moments that I truly enjoyed and it made the end of our night!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Embarkation Day - Day 1 of the Cruise!

So we woke up well rested and on solid London time Saturday morning! We were all excited to get to the ship! We had breakfast at the free buffet at our hotel and then realized that all the streets were again closed around our hotel ... this time for a marathon I believe. We were fairly close to the underground station we walked to the day before, however, a walk with 6 pieces of luggage is a lot different than a regular walk. But it was the best we thought we could do so we were gathering our things in the lobby, preparing to walk where we could pick up a taxi when a staff member of the hotel who was getting off his shift kindly offered to drive us to St. Pancreas Station (since he was leaving to head home, he was allowed to drive out of the area)! What a nice man! He drove us the 15 minute ride to St. Pancreas and we paid him 20 pounds for his trouble and for saving us a whole lot of hassle!
At St. Pancreas, we quickly purchased tickets for the Dover Express Train, and just like at the airport, we walked right on right as the train was leaving (we were anticipating taking the next train, but got there just in time for the 9:30 train)! The train ride took about an hour and 15 minutes and was very comfortable!!! Once we arrived at the Station, we waited in a short line for taxis to the ship. The taxis were lined up and were ready to take all the passengers to the Magic. It was a short 5 minute taxi ride that you could technically walk (but no one would want to with all their luggage for a 12 day cruise)!

On the train:
enhance

We arrived at the terminal, which was I am sure, not as glamorous as the terminal at Cape Canaveral, but similar to the terminal in Copenhagen. It was well set up and as second time cruisers, we had our key cards in about 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!! So exciting! We got Dakota her kids club bracelet! And then we waited in a very short line to take a picture with Mickey!!!

enhance

We got a snack at the terminal of muffins and sodas and then waited for about a half hour when they began calling groups to get on the ship! We were called about 15 minutes after they started calling the first members to board the Disney Magic!

Now when we were on the Norwegian Fjords cruise on the Disney Magic in 2015, it was a wonderful, beautiful, magical cruise ... but one thing was .... because of the way the ship was parked at the port in Copenhagen, passengers, boarded through the 2nd or 3rd floor entrance and there were no family announcements. So I waited with baited breath as we walked on the gangway towards the ship to see if we would be announced this time .... and as we got closer, I could hear them announcing the families! I actually jumped up and down a bit! We walked on the ship into the atrium and they announced us! Such a magical feeling! (Can I go back to the start of my vacation please?! I'm sitting at work right now, really bummed out remembering the feeling of arriving on the ship!!! =(!)

Our room wasn't ready yet, so we went up to Cabanas for the buffet ... as you do! We weren't that hungry from our snack in the terminal, so we mostly got fruit and dessert (because who doesn't get dessert at their first meal on a cruise ship?!). Then we explored and played a little on the sports deck:

enhance

enhance

Played a little at the oceaneer's club open house:

enhance

Then our room was ready! We got a standard inside cabin. Room 5635. It has a king bed and a couch that turns into a child bed. It was in the perfect location. Aft, in a really quiet part of the hall way, but really close to the kid's club, movie theater and the restaurants! Perfect! We explored some more, went to the spa raffle (where I didn't win anything - boo!), got our spa reservations in order (really, the spa reservation system seemed the most disorganized of the trip. I booked in advance massages on the website, but when I arrived on the ship there was a card telling me there was an error and I had to rebook them ... and when I went to the spa to rebook them, we could only get couples massages, instead of individual ones at the times we previously had booked. I was annoyed at this, but what can you do ... first world problems! And a massage is still a massage.)
Our luggage arrived right before the muster drill, so we started unpacking, then went to the drill. When we came back we finished unpacking just in time to throw on our dress clothes for our first dinner! We had the first seating at 6pm. We took some pictures:

enhance

enhance

and sat down for our first dinner at Lumiere's:

enhance

Now Dakota had been talking for the last week about whether she would get a girl as a dinner mate. She really, really hoped she would get a girl! Last cruise we sat with a lovely family with two boys, one of the boys were Dakota's age. But as an 8 year old, it was very important to Dakota to get a girl. When we arrived at the table, we saw the cup next to Dakota had the name Giselle on it, and shortly thereafter a lovely family of three arrived with a girl of 8, just like Dakota! We proclaimed this Disney Magic! She was a very outgoing girl, which is perfect for our shy Dakota, and they quickly decided to go off in search of the bathroom together! You cannot beat the smile on Dakota's face as they quickly became friends in the way that kids do! I really enjoyed the parents as well who were a lovely couple - Americans who were stationed in London! We really enjoyed them all through our 12 days and always had fascinating conversations that flowed easily! I learned a lot from them and we shared a lot. As they said at the end of the trip, you don't chose who your tablemates are and it can really make your trip if you get the right ones, and this lovely family helped make our trip even better than it would have been otherwise!

Also, soooo importantly, we got the best server on the Disney Magic. I know, I know ... I have only had one other team before, so I couldn't possibly know that ... but I do ... no one could be a better server than Sebastian! He was attentive, funny, interesting, sweet and so, so knowledgable! The head waiter assured us that we were in good hands as Sebastian used to work in Palo, but choose to work in the dining room as he enjoys kids so much. He was so sweet with Dakota and Giselle! And the assistant server, Maria, was a sweetheart as well! She made the girls paper flowers every night and always remembered our drink orders. They were magnificent and truly made our trip. Here is a picture of Sebastian with Dakota on one of our last nights:
enhance

After dinner, we went to the show, which was All Aboard, Let the Magic Begin! Little excerpts from shows coming up in the week! Fun musical numbers! I love going to shows on cruises and am easily pleased, but Disney, by far, has the best shows! We also met our cruise director, who was a fun and funny American! He declared that he wanted to take a selfie with everyone on the ship, and while I didn't have my phone with me, so I couldn't take a selfie with him, he was true to his word. Everyday, all day, at all different times and places I saw the Cruise Director out and about, interacting with guests and taking selfies! What an ingenious way to get the passengers to approach the Cruise Director! I think he made a ton of personal connections this way! He would start each show with "Who's on vacation??!!!!" And we would all put our hands up and scream back "We're on vacation!" Gosh ... I wish I was still on vacation!!!

After dinner, we went straight to bed as the next day was an early start. We were porting in Le Havre, France and going to Disneyland Paris for the day!
To be continued ....

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 2 on the Cruise-Le Havre (Disneyland Paris)
So we have never been to Paris and I've always wanted to go, but Le Havre is 3 hours (minimum, as we would find out) from Paris and the shore excursions to the city itself seemed rushed. Also, when deciding what to do, I considered my 8 year old little girl who would be going to lots of castles and historical sites, and decided we should start the cruise off right with a trip to Disneyland Paris. The shore excursion write up said it would be a 3 hour bus ride to Disneyland Paris and approximately 7 hours at the parks (both Disneyland Paris and Walt Disney Studios). I knew 7 hours wouldn't be enough to do everything, but it seemed a decent enough amount of time to make it worth it.
We boarded the bus at 7:15 am and our "guide" (really she didn't have much of a job) was a French woman who didn't show a lot of personality or excitement. She announced that we would be stopping half way for a bathroom break and would arrive in approximately 3 hours. We all went to sleep. About 2 1/2 hours later, we still had not made a stop and people were starting to wake up. We pulled up to a gas station around that time. All the passengers were speculating whether we would be there in a 1/2 hour or what this meant. The guide said as we pulled away that we would be there in about 1 1/2 hour from that point. So now we were all grumbling and adjusting our plans for the parks. And she was wrong again! We actually got there in over 2 hours from that point! So what was supposed to be a 3 hour ride, took almost 5. And that meant we would only get 5 hours in the parks, and that included the time to walk back to the bus parking lot, so really 4 1/2 hours, or 4 hours after the amount of time taken to get tickets, go to the rest room and get in the park. Boo!!!! Everyone was grumpy at this point from the lost time, but I tried to tell myself that it is what it is and to enjoy the time we had there.
And we did!
It was surreal walking in Disneyland Paris. Main Street looks so similar to Disney World, and yet, different as well ... kind of like being in an alternate universe! The castle is gorgeous! And everything seems a bit more feminine than Disney World, if that makes sense ... more flowery and pink.

enhance

(My husband is incapable of taking a good photo in the sun!)

enhance

We headed straight to Thunder Mountain and picked up the old school paper fast passes. Then we went on the Phantom Mannor (Disneyland Paris's version of the Haunted Mansion). It's interesting in Disneyland Paris because they said to read the description of the story before hand, and I'm so glad I did. The story links Thunder Mesa (Fronteirland) with the Mannor. The Mannor looks more like a western home than the Mansion. The ride itself has some similar scenes but it plays differently because of the difference in the story. Where in the Mansion, the bride is evil and a murderer, in this story the bride is the victim. Very interesting!

1280px-Frontierland_-_Phantom_Manor_-_panoramio.jpg

Here is the story according to Wikipedia:
Henry Ravenswood (born 1795) was a Western settler who struck gold in Big Thunder Mountain and founded the Thunder Mesa Mining Company, thus creating the city of Thunder Mesa (Frontierland as a whole). Ravenswood became rich and built himself a Victorian manor high on Boot Hill overlooking Big Thunder Mountain, where he raised a family and had a daughter, Melanie Ravenswood (born 1842).

Big Thunder Mountain was rumored by natives to be home to the Thunder Bird, a powerful spirit possessing a treasure. According to the legend, its wrath could be materialized into a terrible earthquake. However, Ravenswood would not believe such stories. Time went by, and the gold in Big Thunder Mountain became scarce, making miners dig deeper into the mountain.

Melanie grew from a young girl into a beautiful young woman, and became engaged to a train engineer who planned to take her far away from Thunder Mesa, much to the dismay of Henry. Henry did everything he could to stop the wedding, but his useless attempts were put to a stop when a terrible earthquake killed him and his wife Martha (born 1802). It seemed the Thunder Bird had been awakened, and the family was never heard of again. After several years, the story of what really happened came out from underneath the rubble:

On Melanie's wedding day, a mysterious Phantom unknown to anyone appeared in the house. While Melanie was preparing in her room, the Phantom lured her groom up to the attic where he hanged him by the neck from the rafters.

In the ballroom, the bride sat alone. Hours went by with no sign of the groom. Guests slowly filed away, leaving Melanie alone in the house with the staff of maids and butlers. "Some day", she told herself, "he will come". And so, having never taken off her wedding dress or dropped her flower bouquet, in preparation for her loved one's return, she wandered the house aimlessly, singing melancholy songs of lost love.

But the Phantom was still in the house, laughing at her human devotion to her intended husband. One after one, he invited his dead, demonic friends from the afterlife to fill the house in an eternal party. A dark curse fell upon the house, and the shape of the house was slowly transformed by the evil forces. No one ever set foot in the house ever since.

Inside and outside, the house was decaying with age. Dusty cobwebs covered every inch, the disheartened staff not caring, for it was rumored that Melanie had lost her mind. She wandered the house for years and years, singing softly to her groom, while all around her demons and ghosts reveled and danced. Everywhere she went she was reminded of the wedding. The Phantom's eternal laughter still carried through the walls of the house. Outside, the once beautiful grounds were falling apart and crumbling. The gilded staircase and structure were dotted with mold and trees and every plant on the grounds died. As if sensing the evil inherent in the house, nothing living ever trod there. Even so, Melanie kept her hopes, waiting for her love's return, and never figured why he didn't show up at the wedding.

The earthquake that killed her parents all those years ago cut a huge gouge in the west half of the property and in the crumbling ghost town of the old Thunder Mesa. The deserted buildings were rumored to be called Phantom Canyon, the dark supernatural version of the town, and anyone who entered the ghastly old town at night never came back.

Today, no one knows if Melanie Ravenswood is still alive in that old house on the hill. If she is, then she is well over 100 years old. Her beautiful voice still carries over the town at night though, through the walls of the house and night air. And sometimes, people still see lights in the house.

Some nights, when the moon is full and the sky is clear of clouds, you can still hear the lonely mourning of the bride, the maniacal laughter of the Phantom, and the faint tinkle of glass and the laughter of party guests. Whether she is alive or not, what is well known is that poor Melanie never really left the crumbling mansion. She waits for her groom until Judgment Day.

Many people believe the Phantom to be Melanie's late father, Henry Ravenswood, seeking vengeance from beyond the grave. Others believe that it is the pure spirit of evil, and that a curse was upon the young girl.

So at this point, we were starving and HANGRY, so we went to eat at Colonel Hathi's Pizza Outpost as Pizza is always a good bet. The food was very good and regular Disney priced and quick! We all felt a little more stabile after our lunch.

disneyland_paris_colonel_hathis_outpost.jpg

We then went on Thunder Mountain, which was AWESOME! It's longer and better and more thrilling than Disney World's version in my opinion.

big-thunder-mountain-railroad-00.jpg

We really wanted to go on their version of Space Mountain, but the height limits are higher there, so my daughter couldn't go on. So we went and saw the dragon next. The dragon is an animatronic under the castle. Pretty cool. Just a walk through, but a nice touch.

IMG_9744.jpg

After the Dragon, we only had a couple of hours left, so we proceeded to Walt Disney Studios. I warned my family that we might not be able to get on Crush Coaster as I had heard it had no fast passes and long lines, but the wait was only 35 minutes! I'm so glad we went on this one as it was AWESOME! So much fun and surprising! And fun to go on something completely different from Disney World!

70cceaa971982990a0d4829cf96914fe.jpg

Next, we wanted to check out Ratatouille since were were in Paris! Cool looking area, and the restaurant looked awesome (but no time for that!). The ride itself was just ok to me. It was a moving 3D simulator and made me a little queasy. Reminded me a bit of Spiderman at Universal Studios. But I'm glad we went on!
enhance

Sadly, at this point we had an hour left and the rest of the rides close to us were kiddie rides that looked unappealing. We were not very hungry but we knew we should eat before the long busride back, so we went to the Walt Disney Studios Front Lot where they had a lot of their counter service options as well as shopping. Because if I haven't bought something somewhere ... then I haven't been there. We shared a burger, which was just ok. Then I bought a Disneyland Paris t-shirt, Dakota picked out a couple of pencils and a stuffed animal and we got a Disneyland Paris Pin (We sort of half hazardly collect the pins. We don't really wear them, but we enjoy buying them as mementos occasionally and looking at them at home. I have to find a better way to wear them than on a heavy lanyard. Last time I pinned a few on my jean jacket.). Then sadly, we made our way back to the bus. Everyone on the bus was saying universally that they had fun, but not enough time to really enjoy. Sadly, I don't know when I will ever make it back ... but someday hopefully! The bus ride back also took 4 1/2 hours, so in my opinion, there was no way this trip was ever going to take 3 hours and it was false advertising. We complained to the Port Adventures desk but they said they could not account for traffic (personally, there was no accident, it looked like regular traffic to me, so I think you could have accounted for it and disclosed it properly).
We stumbled tiredly back onto the boat at 11:30pm, right when they were getting ready to leave. Not the most relaxing start to the cruise, but there were great elements of fun in the day, and I tried my best to remember those, and not the crazy long bus ride from ... well, you get the drift.
Next stop .. (Portland) Stonehenge!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 3 on Cruise-Stonehenge (Portland, England)
So we woke up still a little wore out from the day before, but we knew we had a shorter shore excursion this morning, even though it started bright and early again at 7:15am! (The good thing is, we got an extra hour of sleep due to the time change!)
Today we planned to see the iconic Stonehenge on a port adventure booked through the ship. We boarded the bus for a little over an hour ride (this seemed like nothing after the day before) and arrived at Stonehenge. As we were pulling up the skies opened up and our tour guide, who was cute and friendly, proclaimed that this happened to her a lot here. She had us park and went to go get our audio guides and snacks that came with the tour when she returned less than a minute later with wide eyes. "They're bringing everything to us!," she exclaimed! The bus driver smiled and said "It's Disney. They treat them special." So a few minutes later we disembarked and picked up our tickets, audio guide, snack and water bottle. And low and behold, the rain stopped. Disney magic I tell ya! We caught the shuttle to the site and then walked around and listened to the interesting audio guide. You can no longer walk in the circle because the ground is soft and so it causes the stones to shift and they don't want them falling of course. I totally understood this, so while I didn't get to touch them, I did get a wonderful sense of mystery from them. I love that there are still things in this world we don't understand!
enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

After touring the stones for about an hour, we took the shuttle back to the gift shop. It was mobbed but I happily purchased a beautiful blue stone (what the stones are made of) necklace for both myself and my aunt, a little lamb for my daughter and a cool t-shirt for my husband. We ate our snack (a MASSIVE scone, the size of a personal pizza) and a package of cookies on top of it! Weird snack! I happily ate the scone, which was yummy, and put the cookies in my bag for later.

Now comes the sad part, my daughter and I fell asleep on the way back to the ship and when we disembarked, I forgot my Stonehenge gift shop bag!!!!!!!!! I didn't realize it till later that evening!!!!!!! NOOOOOOO!!!!!! My treasures!!!!!!!! I checked with the lost and found on the ship but no one had turned it in! BOO!!!! It was about $100.00 in treasures, but even worse, I loved that necklace. When my daughter heard that I had left the bag, she immediately burst into tears for the loss of her little lamb, but then saw it on the couch and realized she had been sleeping with it on the bus and harried carried it herself back onto the ship. So she had her little 5.00 lamb, but I lost my beautiful necklaces and t-shirt.
But guess what, I checked online, and I can reorder them, which I plan to do once I recover a bit financially from this trip, lol!
For the rest of the trip, I was more careful!

When we got back on the ship, we got a snack, played in the kids club open house a bit (they have fun little tablets and computers that I honestly enjoyed playing on as well), and then got ready for dinner. Tonight was Cariocas as we missed the first night in Animators while we were in Disneyland Paris. The dinner was wonderful! I think we had filet, which is my favorite! We had a great time catching up with our tablemates and then went to our first bingo I believe! My husband and I love to gamble and so the one thing a Disney cruise really lacks for us is a casino. So we take bingo when it comes. Not as good as a casino, but our daughter can sit with us, and still a good time! Tim ran the Bingo on the ship and while we knew his sayings by heart by the end of the cruise, he was witty and fun! I split a winning that evening and won 70.00, which wouldn't begin to cover our losses for the trip, but for now, we were ahead of the game! Then we went to the show, which was amazing as always!

This day felt like our first true day on the Disney Magic and we had a wonderful day!!! I was so happy and the rest of my trip stretched before me like a long dream!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
I feel so bad that I never finished this trip report. So while it is now over a year and 1/2 later, I'm going to try to finish this. I hope I can remember everything, but this was such a wonderful, amazing trip, that so many elements are burned in my brain and it will be fun to relive it. In 2019, the Disney Magic is doing a 7-night British Isles Cruise, September 8-15, so just in case people from the upcoming cruise are looking, I'm going to work on finishing this up ... better late than never!!!

Day 4
At Sea!
After a crazy long day on the road to Disneyland Paris, and then a day of touring Stonehenge in Portland, it was honestly a relief to have a day at sea to become accustomed to our new home away from home and explore the magic of the ship! We started with a sitdown breakfast at Lumiere's ... yum! I love doing a sit down breakfast at days at sea. It feels so luxurious. After breakfast, we did the frozen meet and greet and pictures, followed by the princess meet and greet and pictures. These are free meet and greets. On the first day you sign up and receive tickets with times for each meet and greet. I think there was another superhero one if I remember right that Dakota didn't care to do. By receiving tickets there is no stress and no long lines. The frozen meet and greet was super cute! It was in Animator's Palate if I remember right and the whole place was dressed up with frozen backdrops. Ana, Elsa, and Olaf were there taking pictures. (I'll add the pictures tonight). They interacted adorably, of course, and were around for several events on the ship. We went straight from the frozen meet and greet to the princess meet and greet, which was in the atrium. This was a little less private, but still cool as we got to meet Cinderella, Tiana, Aurora and Belle I believe, all in short order. After doing experiences like this and the other amazing character photo experiences on this cruise, we've never since waited in a line at Disney World to meet a character. We got spoiled! It was cute that there were adults in front of us without kids who were just as excited to meet the princesses as my daughter (actually probably more excited)! From there we went to Bingo, then lunch at Cabana's. After lunch, I changed into work out gear and worked out while Dakota went to the kid's club. Then my husband and I had a couples massage. The massage was pretty good ... not the best I have ever had, but it was nice and we were happy to have the opportunity to relax. Dakota was thrilled that her friend was at the kid's club and they made cookies there. After our massage, we relaxed in the room and got ready slowly for dinner. Every night I had my family take pictures so over a 12 night cruise we amassed a ton of options, which I need since I don't really like myself in pictures. Following dinner we went to see our first big stage show: Twice Charmed. A Cinderella with a Twist show which was an excellent production! I love cheesy evening shows and am easy to please, but Disney really knows how to do them right! After dinner we went straight to bed to get ready for another day of touring tomorrow - Dublin, Ireland!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 5
Dublin, Ireland

I woke up thrilled to be in Ireland! It was a beautiful, sunny day! We did a Disney excursion to see St. Patrick's Cathedral, Trinity College Library and the Book of Kells. Our tour guide was a hillarious woman who was born in Ireland, then spent a significant part of her childhood and young adulthood in the United States, then back to Ireland. As a result, she had less of an accent and approached the tour from a different perspective than I think some pure Irish would have.

We toured the beautiful St. Patrick's Cathedral first. Inside the Cathedral is also a lot of cool historic items, like this "Door of Reconciliation":

Here's the story of the Door of Reconciliation:
n 1492 two Irish families, the Butlers of Ormonde and the FitzGeralds of Kildare, were involved in a bitter feud. This disagreement centred around the position of Lord Deputy. Both families wanted one of their own to hold the position. In 1492 this tension broke into outright warfare and a small skirmish occurred between the two families just outside the city walls. The Butlers, realizing that the fighting was getting out of control, took refuge in the Chapter House of Saint Patrick’s Cathedral. The FitzGeralds followed them into the Cathedral and asked them to come out and make peace. The Butlers, afraid that if they did so they would be slaughtered, refused. As a gesture of good faith the head of the Kildare family, Gerald FitzGerald, ordered that a hole be cut in the door. He then thrust his arm through the door and offered his hand in peace to those on the other side. Upon seeing that FitzGerald was willing to risk his arm by putting it through the door the Butlers reasoned that he was serious in his intention. They shook hands through the door, the Butlers emerged from the Chapter House and the two families made peace. From here you get the Irish expression "to chance your arm."

I love cool stuff like that! After touring the historic artifacts and looking at the gorgeous mosaics and windows:

and buying a couple of journals and a gorgeous calendar in the gift shop (remember, if I haven't bought something, I haven't been there), I found my daughter doing handstands on the lawn while my husband took pictures. She also found a small playground at the Cathedral (of course). She loved to see the ancient architecture and fancy church, but she is still a kid.

(The girl finds a playground everywhere!)

From there we went to the Trinity College library where we saw the Book of Kells. To be honest, before I saw it, I really didn't know what the Book of Kells was. It is basically a beautifully illustrated book with the four gospels of the New Testament in Latin with lovely and intricate lettering. Honestly ... I'm glad I saw it but I can't say it was the most awe inspiring thing of the trip. I much more enjoyed looking at the library in general which is dark and huge and gothic feeling ... reminding me of something we would see in Hogwarts castle:

It looks a lot darker then it looks in the first picture (which I got off a website). After the tour, the bus was in front of Trinity College to take us back to the ship. It was about lunchtime. My daughter and husband wanted to go back for lunch, but I decided to stay in town, walk around and shop. It was honestly one of my favorite afternoons. After I kissed my family goodbye, the first thing I saw was a donut shop with HUGE, beautiful donuts!!! YES!!! Who needs lunch when you can have a mega donut! I got an apple pie flavored one and I can still taste the yumminess today, a year and a half later! I ate my donut right there on the street and then commenced my shopping. I had a goal: I wanted a beautiful Irish sweater or felt jacket and linens. First shop I saw had the most gorgeous felt blazer hanging in the window, with a sale tag for 39 Euros! I thought it was a bargain! It was gray and magenta and beautifully lined with a zebra stick pin on it. I know that sounds weird, but it's beautiful! It was in my price range and it fit perfectly! In Marie Kondo terminology, it brings me joy! Everytime I look at it or wear it, it makes me happy! At the same shop I also found a beautiful linen table runner with shamrocks that I got for my Nana. I walked all through the Grafton Street shopping area and visiting many lovely stores when I found the Dublin Disney Store! Score! I got myself a Dublin Disney water bottle and notebook. But here I made a mistake, after several purchases in Ireland, I forewent purchasing a Dublin Disney Shirt. Stupid girl! My Nana always said, you only regret the things you didn't buy. I still regret I didn't get a shirt =(. Anyways, I walked back to the free shuttle to the ship in plenty of time before the all ashore. I never, ever cut it close. I always make sure to be back hours before, especially when I am alone.
My family and I got dressed again for dinner and again took pictures. Tonight was our first night in Animator's Palate since we had missed our first night there when we were in Paris! YAY! My daughter loves the theme of Animator's Palate and tonight we drew the characters to animate. The show was Liverpool Legends as we would be in Liverpool the next day (obviously a Beatles coverband). They were fun and pretty darn good. Obviously we all sang along as everyone loves Beatles songs!!! We also went to Disney Trivia in Fathoms Lounge for a bit and saw a little bit of Guardians of the Galaxy 2 which was playing in the Buena Vista Theater. What a fantastic day!

Attachments

• 1555010584646.png
    1555010584646.png
    487.5 KB · Views: 42
  • 1555010648474.png
    1555010648474.png
    867.2 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 6: Liverpool
Liverpool was the one place where I didn't have a Disney Port Adventure booked. I did a lot of research and the tours they had for offer seemed overpriced to me for what they were and it was clear from my research that we docked in Liverpool in a convenient area where we could walk to the Beatles Story. Because let's be real, when you go to Liverpool, you gotta do something having to do with the Beatles!
The All Ashore was 8:15am and we made sure that we were ready to disembark as soon as possible, hoping to beat the tours at The Beatles Story.

First things first, you have to take the obligatory picture by the Beatles statue, which is right off the docks.

The Beatles Story was a 10 minute walk or less from the ship. An easy walk and felt very safe the whole way. The Beatles Story is a wonderful, permanent exhibit dedicated to the lives of the Beatles. You get an audio headset and it takes you through a walking tour where you get to see mock ups of their homes, the record store where they used to hang out and play, the Casbah, the Cavern (of course), Abbey Road, etc. It opens at 10 am and we were waiting there when it opened. Success! We had beat the tours and basically had the exhibit to ourselves. It cost 17 Euros per Adult and 10 Euros per child under 10. It was WELL worth it! We spent about an hour and a half there I believe. And we listened to every entry. It was interesting, and quirky and informative.

After the experience, of course we hit the gift shop. There is also a cafe there but we were not hungry yet. At the gift shop I got a really cool sweater shirt with Sg. Pepper's Lonely Heart Band on it, as well as a cool make up bag as a souvenir for my aunt who loves the Beatles, and a magnet for my mom who also loves them. From there we walked onto the cute little gift shops which surround the Prince Albert Docks

It is full of cheesy gifts shops, but also cute, artsy stores with unique gifts. We had a blast walking through. It was a fairly cold and overcast day but we were having a blast. After shopping for a while, we headed back towards the ship (all of this in a 10 minute walking distance). Along the docks they had set up a small carnival. Now I don't know if it's always there or if it was set up because they knew the Disney Ship was coming into town, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the latter, because it was a BIG deal to Liverpool that the Disney Magic was there!
So of course we rode the carousel! My daughter wasn't about to miss out on that!

Attachments

• 1555007906570.png
    1555007906570.png
    494.9 KB · Views: 42
  • 1555007932140.png
    1555007932140.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 33

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Liverpool Cont.

Right by the dock is this beautiful monument which is a monument to the Engine Room heroes of the Titanic:

(You can tell from this picture how the Disney Magic is pulled right up to the town. So convenient!!!) I did not know this but Liverpool was the home port of the Titanic and White Star Lines originated in Liverpool. This monument is dedicated to the 244 engineers who lost their life on the Titanic and is noted as the first UK monument to depict and honor "the working man."

We eventually made our way back to the ship in enough time to relax in the room and watch some Disney movies and get dressed for dinner. This is the only evening where my daughter and I got into a fight. I wanted her to dress up for dinner and she wanted to wear ripped jeans. After a bit of a tadoo, we settled on pants from the dirty clothes pile (she was all out of other options for pants other than jeans). I know it sounds stupid, and it was, but it was notable as really the only time we got angry at each other the whole trip. She is such a sweet little girl and we are so very lucky to have such a well behaved easy going traveler as a daughter! But after our stupid little fight we walked out on deck to check out the sail away and were met with something that rocks me still to this day. All along the dock were thousands of Liverpool residents who all came out to see the Disney ship! They had a big jumbotron screen playing Disney movies and people were taking pictures in front of the ship. Disney sent down the characters and all the Liverpool residents were lined up to take pictures with the characters. The carnival was going on of course as well. It was cold and rainy, but they all looked like they were having a great time. I hugged my daughter and said to her, "Look down there. Look at all those kids standing in the cold and rain just to take a picture next to this ship that you are STANDING on! That you get to sleep on and watch shows on! I hope you know how lucky we are to be on this amazing trip." She smiled at me and hugged me back. I hope she got it. It certainly made me feel lucky!!! It was one of those magical moments I will never forget. We then went into dinner, which was Carioccas. After dinner we went to Movie Jackpot Bingo (so fun but I didn't win anything!) and then we went to see the stage show, Once Upon a Song. This show is only done on longer sailings. The cast performs classic Disney songs. It was very good and fun to sing along. After the show, straight to bed!! I have to say, Liverpool turned out to be one of my favorite days!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 7: Greenock (Glasgow and Edinburgh)
So we woke up on Day 7, usually the most depressing day ever, as it's usually the day we are leaving the cruise, but today, I woke up with a huge smile on my face because I still had 5 more days to go!!!! YAY!!! This was the longest cruise I had ever done and it felt so luxurious and wonderful to still have a good portion of my vacation stretched in front of me, with so many wonderful days already behind me.
We did the Disney Adventure of Edinburgh Castle and Holyrood Palace. Even though I had a good day, I would not recommend this port adventure as it was too rushed. We boarded the bus and had a bit of a bus ride to get to Edinburgh Castle. Edinburgh Castle is a HUGE fortress on top of a rock which dates back to the 12th century (but there has been documented proof of occupation since the 2nd Century AD)! It was involved in many conflicts during the Scottish Wars for indepndence and is known as the most beseiged structure in the United Kingdom! It is huge, impressive and busy! Here is an image of the layout so you can get a sense a little bit of the number of points of interest:

Yeah, so, we got there and were taken on about a half hour short walking tour and orientation. We were given a map which showed this massive complex and then were told, you have 45 minutes and meet me back on the bus! Obviously, not getting much done in 45 minutes. We ended up just walking around outside and taking pictures, getting some snacks and visiting the gift shop and then walking back to the bus. I felt like we just touched on this massive site that I could have spent all day exploring. And if we were only going to have limited time there, I would have preferred the guide stay with us the whole time so I could have gotten more of the history of the site and buildings (except for a little bit of time in the gift shop of course). At the gift shop I got a beautiful lapel pin with a sword and a amethyst sitting on top (my birthstone). I adore this purchase and am actually wearing it on my suit jacket today!

So after our very brief stop at Edinburgh Castle, we were dropped off for lunch and shopping on Princes Street - a very long street with all types of stores. I believe we had about an hour here. We stopped at a food court sort of place and had quick ham and cheese sandwiches (we are not very adventurous with food while touring for some reason) and then went into H & M (I know, I know ... a store available in the US. I was annoyed too. But it was my husband's very smart suggestion after having to pull from the dirty clothes pile for pants for my daughter, that maybe if she prefers pants at night we should pick up a couple of pairs. So we got some very cute pants along with an adorable faux leather jacket that my daughter still adores 2 years later! Here she is wearing it that night (note - with a dress! sigh)

So after some Dakota shopping, we headed back on the bus to Holyrood Palace. Unlike Edinburgh Castle, we had the perfect amount of time in Holyrood Palace, which is a much smaller site and palace. We had an excellent guided tour which told us interesting tidbits and history. Holyrood Palace is the official residence of the monarch in Scotland. But let me tell you, it's not really all that luxurious. It's kind of dark and sparse, with ancient and uncomfortable looking furniture. The guide confirmed that the Queen doesn't really stay there all that much and doesn't find it very comfortable when she does. Interestingly, the Holyrood Palace contains the apartments of Mary, Queen of Scots. It was in the Queen's private apartments that she witnessed the murder of David Rizzio, her private secretary, on 9 March 1566. Darnley and several nobles entered the apartment via the private stair from Darnley's own apartments below. Bursting in on the Queen, Rizzio and four other courtiers, who were at supper, they dragged the Italian through the bedchamber into the outer chamber, where he was stabbed 56 times. The Queen was 6 months pregnant at the time and Rizzio was accused of fathering her child. Brutal!!!
Here are some pictures from Holyrood (we ran into the Disney Magic photographers, which is always great so we can get pictures of the whole family):

After Holyrood, we got back on the bus. Our tourguide for the day, by the way, was this supremely Scottish older gentleman who wore a kilt (I'm sure for our benefit) and spoke with a thick Scottish brogue. He was witty. He was not the one that led us on the tours, but he just escorted us from place to place. After the palace, he asked the bus driver to drop him off at the pub along the side of the road (I kid you not) and he bid us goodnight and safe trip back to the docks, lol! It was classic!

That evening, instead of a show, they played the newly released Spiderman in the Walt Disney Theatre. We really enjoyed this movie and it was relaxing after a long day!

Next: another day at sea.

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 8: Day at Sea
To be honest, I don't remember much about this day at sea but in general I probably did the following things: worked out briefly at the gym, to say I did, took a few laps around the walking deck while my husband and daughter played shuffleboard (shuffleboard is conveniently on the walking deck). I'm sure I ate at Lumiere's for breakfast or lunch, with the other meal at the buffet. I'm sure my daughter spent some time at the club and lab, and I'm sure I played with her there during open house times. The open house is actually fun for adults too, in my opinion. I had a great time trying to dock the ship with this computer program they have! We also played games on the tablets they have and I watched my daughter go up and down and up and down and up and down the slide in "Andy's Room." I'm sure we played the trivia game at least once.
And I know we would have gone to every Bingo available (usually 2 on Days at Sea). Tim ran the Bingo on the magic on this trip and he was adorable. Reminded me of Christian Siriano. One of the days Tim announced that someone told him that he most resembled Hey Hey from Moana (the chicken. Tim was tall and skinny.), which Tim was mock offended at. He proclaimed that he much more closely resembled Maui than Hey Hey. Every Bingo session you get a secret password for the next Bingo session that will give you a discount or an extra card. The password for the next session was "Tim looks more like Maui than Hey Hey." There is other little fun jokes that go on at the Bingo as well! For example, every time B-11 is called, all the cruise director staff has to come to the center and dance to a fun song. We all yell out "B 11, B B 11!" and jump up and down! It's super fun!
The thing about a British Isles Cruise is that it's cold! Not freezing cold, but rainy, windy and chilly (in a refreshing way for a South Floridian). So it is not swimming weather. So while on a day at sea on a Caribbean Cruise there would be tons of people at the pool and lounging, there were only a few brave souls (probably from Northern countries or states) that were playing in the pool and the water areas. These crazy people had it to themselves. We South Floridians said, "No thank you!"
Instead, we played a game called "Spot the Thug!" We did not make up this game (and it didn't involve spotting other passengers, LOL!)! Disney Magic did it for the kids and kids at heart. We had to go around the ship, following clues, looking for pictures of Thugs from Rapunzel. It was fun and easy! Which led into the musical of the evening, which was Tangled! This was a fabulous, Broadway quality musical with great performances! I really enjoyed the Flynn character! We also went to Who Wants to be a Mouseketeer (much like Who Wants to be a Millionaire)! The questions, to be honest, were a little too easy. We did not get picked to play so just watched for a while.
I do remember having a fantastic, relaxing day. Having 3 days at sea on this cruise was perfect! It was intense with lots of stops, but the days of sea were perfectly spaced to give you a breather just when you needed it!

JenTen1585

Original Poster
Day 9: Kirkwall
Ok, so I know I say that almost every day was one of my favorite days (highlights to this point being Dublin and Liverpool) but I think Kirkwall was actually my favorite port. Kirkwall, Scotland is in the Northern Islands of Scotland, in Orkney. We had an early tour, which I was very grateful for because it was a very, very windy and rainy day! When we walked down the gangplank we had to grab on as we were being blown with a forceful wind! An hour later I heard they had to close the gang plank for a time because conditions made it dangerous to disembark in the wind (they reopened it shortly after I heard). We met our guide on the docks and he led us into town. Like in Liverpool, we were a very close walk into town. The guide apologized for the weather, but I have to tell you, it was SOOOO much fun! Being from an Island in SW Florida where it was currently in the high 90s with huge humidity, I was thrilled with the change and it made the adventure so much more exciting. We were dressed for it, with boots and rain jackets over our leather jackets, scarfs and mittens. So instead of the weather bringing us down, it made it more thrilling. My family and I were giggling and laughing as the wind blew like crazy! Our tour guide took us first to the St. Magnus Cathedral, which is a gorgeous church founded in the 12th century. The inside is distinctive in that it has a lot of red brick work.
Here are some pictures:

We met the Disney Magic photographer in the garden outside the Cathedral and got some fun pictures:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom